South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 06:15 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default The Weekend - September 13 & 14

Well, it sure seems like fall this morning with a temperature close to freezing. Yesterday felt very cold too - I started thinking snow tires. Please tell me we are going to have a lovely fall! I got my first oil bill yesterday too.

Rather abortive trip to town yesterday. First of all I could not find the bookstore which had not moved and when I did get there I could not remember the name of the book. (I only had two things to do in town so did not make a list.) Found the fabric store just fine and also the perfect fabric for my project. The clerk cut the fabric and then I found it was $24.98 a meter - for table napkins for a craft table! I took it anyhow and reminded myself to check the sticker on the bolt rather than the price on the sign over the table. Duh!

We are doing the Ploughman's Lunch again today and I hope it's for the last time as I'm getting pretty tired and bored of serving the same old thing. I have deliberately made plans for next Saturday by signing up Jazz and I to work registrations at Bark for Life, a walk to raise funds for cancer research. Because of my knee and poor toes I can't walk but ...

Just heard a wee growl from Millie which means she has spotted White Cat, her arch enemy, skulking around across the road. Time to move the menagerie to the kitchen and start some things out there. I ruined an oven stew yesterday (cooked too long) and am going to convert it into a beef and veggie soup. It certainly feels like a soup day. (Can't do it tomorrow because there is a planned Hydro outage while they make some changes to the system.)

Enjoy your weekend and, if you have some warmth, send it up here!
Old 09-13-2014, 06:25 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Yes Ruth, I came home last night to my DH turning on our heater on the main floor. It *might* have something to do with the fact that they had a kayaking lesson on a cold water creek, even learned what to do if the kayak turned over. Yep, they were dumped! Too bad the instructor didn't warn them to bring appropriate clothing! DD LOVED it and thought it the most awesome thing ever, DS said NO WAY. LOL, I'm with the "no way"!!

Today is a busy, busy day at work. We originally were going to do a date night tonight, but with not finding something we wanted to do, are going to save the money. I need to start watching for plays, etc.

I guess I should get ready, I need to leave in 30 minutes...
Old 09-13-2014, 07:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

Good morning

It is quite chilly here too, but I refuse to turn on my heat until after Election Day. If it gets bad I can put on the fireplace, but I do need to clean the pilot light thing first.

Ruth I would have bought the fabric too. Especially when you picked it. Money goes too quickly, but we can't take it with us. Hope the lunch goes smoothly.

Tammy sorry date night didn't have plans. Funny about the kayacking.

Today I am finally getting my hair cut. My bangs are way beyond manageable. I was going to grow them out, but after looking at pictures of me with and without bangs, I need them lol. Later going to Joe's cousins' for a BBQ. After that a Sportsman's dinner with his folks. I can't wait for Sunday to not be surrounded by food......maybe because there is none in my house lol....the chef hasn't gone grocery shopping.

Have a great weekend
Old 09-13-2014, 07:14 AM   #4  

Height: 5'8"

Good morning Ruth, Tammy and Jennifer! It's always *so* nice to see friends up before me. I slept until 6 this morning and had a really good night's sleep so I feel pretty good.

I'm excited for today. We're going away to celebrate my birthday...we discovered a Marriott in Stamford, CT that has a really nice spa. We're going overnight and I'm going for an "aromatherapy body polish" and deep tissue massage at the spa this afternoon, and then out for an off-plan dinner at California Pizza Kitchen . We'll come home tomorrow am and then have friends over for football in the afternoon, which is also likely to be off plan...only in the evening though. I'll be on plan for breakfast and lunch tomorrow, and try to get a workout in at the hotel gym.

But first, this morning I'm going to tidy the house and to to the Farmer's Market to buy stuff to make ratatouille for next week. I also plan to make mini meatballs to carry me through a bit next week as well. I may not get here to post tomorrow am since we'll be away, so I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend. See you back here for an on plan week starting Monday.

Last edited by Mmckellen; 09-13-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:48 AM   #5  

Height: 5' 5"

Good morning, chicks! Chilly here this morning too- low 40s. Our heat actually kicked on overnight as well. Must be the thermostat was set higher than I thought since no one in my house got dumped from their kayak!! (Too funny, Tammy, but I'm with you--brrrr!)

Today will be cleaning, groceries and laundry. Is my life exciting or what!? DH will want to watch college football as well (paging Natasha!) so I will probably get in some reading time.

Ruth, the answer to many kitchen disasters is soup, isn't it. Hope your day is smooth and smart move on being busy next Saturday.

Jennifer, your bike trip yesterday sounds both moving and enjoyable. Maybe the BBQ and Sportsman's dinner will be full of low-carb protein options.

Matilda, your trip sounds great. Have a wonderful time.

Off to find some breakfast. Have a great day, all!
Old 09-13-2014, 08:13 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

Mathilda: Hmmm - ratatouille. I'd forgotten about that - looks gorgeous and tastes great. Tomorrow when the power is out, I may hie me to town and get eggplant. I have lots of green peppers and onions from the garden and tomatoes from the Farm. I like to break an egg into a small dish of the gorgeous stuff and microwave it for breakfast. To heck with garlic breath!
By the way, I just ordered that book online.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:51 AM   #7  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Good morning I am patiently waiting for my pumpkin pie baked oatmeal to finish baking. I hope it tastes as good as it smells!

We stayed up late hoping to see northern lights but no luck. Unfortunately DH also got sick again. It's the first time since the hospital scare and we aren't exactly sure what triggered it though we have some ideas. Poor guy, he's been doing so well staying off the NSAIDS and no coffee so it was disappointing that he had such a rough night. Back to the drawing board I guess. FWIW, if you have any inflammation issues (he has arthritis, 5 discs broken a number of years ago, etc) Golden Milk at bedtime has been a real find. He sleeps well and the pain isn't keeping him awake.

Now that my new pantry is done we are hunting down some less expensive shelving pieces for the room. I always like to find second hand real wood rather than less sturdy newer pieces. Hope to get that done so I can finally get all the storage out of the house and finish the drying and canning projects!

Anyone have any suggestions for concord grapes? We have some this year but nothing like last year's record harvest. I like eating them fresh but I'd love to find something to do with a small batch, something not jelly/jam/etc.

I made a lovely slow cooker sausage ratatouille for a friend last week. thanks for the reminder, I want to make it for us this week.

Time for breakfast and then the chore list for the day. Happy weekend
Old 09-13-2014, 09:49 AM   #8  

Height: 5' 7"

Good morning,

It is chilly this morning but not as chilly as some of you. I do have a sweatshirt on though.

We got good news yesterday, even though car insurance will not cover our car damage the drivers insurance will...we are dropping the car off today and picking up a rental until our's is fixed.

I pretty much all cleaning done just need to keep up with laundry and have to go get groceries. DD1 wants to go to the mall and I have a coupon for buy 2 get 2 free for Yankee Candle so want to use that.

Ruth I hope you have a good day today glad you found the book online..I had to write myself a list this morning as I find stuff we need otherwise I will forget to pick something up.

Tywnn that is funny but I think the instructor should have let them know to bring different clothes lol

Jekel I need to make a hair appointment as well....better make myself a note

Matilda sounds like you have a lovely trip planned enjoy yourself

Beth sounds like we have the same agenda today.

Cyndi sorry to hear about DH hopefully ya'll can figure out how to take care of naturally.

The sun is out so it will be a nice day, I will pull out a pair of jeans to wear

Have a great Saturday
Old 09-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #9  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

Good morning!

Cyndi, thanks for the slow cooker sausage ratatouille recipe. It's one I want to try. I'm starting back this week, and have planned to make white chicken chili (which I've never had) and am off to find a recipe after posting here.

It isn't too cold in DC; it's right around 70, lower last night. BUT my apartment building still has the air conditioning on!

I have nothing to do this weekend except grocery shop, cook, grade papers and prepare classes/handouts for the week. I'm about half as busy as I was on former tries to return to the Beach. My crammed schedule has always defeated me. But I quit the administrative job, and am just teaching. The next issue of my magazine will be its last, so I'll have more time. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #10  
Come on Spring!

Cyndi, Wow! That ratatouille looks great and all I need is the eggplant. Poor Tim just can't catch a break.

Xan, sorry I didn't welcome you back. Sounds like your school year will be much improved.

Yes, I should be in the kitchen at the town Hall right now but am postponing the agony. There's no heat over there just now as some idiot (not me!) forgot to order a refill of the propane tank. Maybe we'll just turn on the oven to get the kitchen bearable.

See y'all later. Duty calls.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:30 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 226.5/226.5/137

Height: 5'4"

I'm a chronic lurker and don't post often, but after hearing about some of y'all getting fall-like weather, I just needed to voice my jealousy. We are just now getting into the mid 80s, but that's an improvement from the high 80s and above.

Anyway, I'm in the throngs of restarting South Beach after an embarrassing weight gain over the last year. I've used many of the SB recipes posted on the recipe page in this forum. I think having an easy-to-access catalog of recipes really helps me from getting frustrated (ie: hangry) come mealtime.

I'm not much of a poster but I do find lots of motivation here.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:37 PM   #12  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi!

We've had a great several days integrating my Sis into our home, going to the pool, shopping and eating healthy. The weather has been great! We just started back over the hill half an hour ago. DH is driving until we stop for gas at Vail. I work tomorrow at 7. Back to the grind. It sounds like everyone is having a nice weekend.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:12 AM   #13  
Come on Spring!

Happy early Sunday morning. I'm back to extra early wake-ups!

Yesterday was a cold, miserable, rainy day and there were very few folk showing up for lunch at the Town Hall. I have now officially closed the cafe and there will be no more Mill tours until October 11, Thanksgiving Saturday! There are two weddings scheduled before then but they have their own caterers and decorating team. Whew! I am so very tired and have not had a weekend off since mid-May!

The electricity goes off at 7 while Hydro One does some switching around of wires. Sure hope it comes back on early afternoon as planned because this house will get very cold today. I have flushing water in the tub and coffee in the thermos so will probably survive - it's just a nuisance. I just cranked the heat up for a bit and also have the propane stove in the back room. I'm sure we will survive.

OMG! Today's "high" will be 54 degrees. Is summer it really over?

"See" you later today when the power comes back on.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:02 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Welcome GoodnessGracious! (love your name!) Hope you visit often.

Ruth - I guess I should look at our forecast....I have no idea. I do know I'm wearing a sweater this morning though!

We're off to run the coffee thingee at church this am....making ham and bean soup for later...
Old 09-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

Good morning welcome GoodnessGracious. It he recipe forum is a huge help to me also

Ruth sorry about the power. Thankful though you are finally getting a respite from the mill.

Tammy soup sounds great today. My big warm bathrobe is making an appearance today brrrr. Do you live near the PASP where the shooting was? So incredibly sad.

No and I mean no plans for today. Yesterday was fun. I won a rifle lol uhhh I don't think I can carry that at work. Also I bought a gun. It was for a good cause and I always bid on something and never win. I actually paid less than dealer cost so I was quite pleased. At least I can write off the gun on my taxes which should help me this year as I think I am going to get slammed by Uncle Sam.

I have ground venison defrosting to make a monster batch of chili. Creamy Mexican chicken will find its way into my smaller crockpot.

I am doing P1.75 lol which translates to 1 fruit and 1 grain per day. The grain will be when I ride. Usually a Kind bar. The fruit, Honey Crisp Apples. I just love them!

Have a great day!
Closed Thread