South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Let's talk brussels sprouts

I don't have much trouble with the vegetable part of SB because I love most veggies. One I have never been able to warm up to, though is brussels sprouts. I feel like I should love them, since they look like little cabbages, and I love cabbage and miniature anything! Long story short, I bought a bag of frozen sprouts to give them another try (yet again), and need some help with cooking ideas. I have some frozen pearl onions, and I thought with those and some balsamic/olive oil drizzle, they might be good. Can I roast them? I've only tried roasting fresh veggies. What if I throw them in the crock pot, how do you think that would work?
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I love brussels sprouts but I'm not a fan of frozen so not much help. I love fresh sprouts in the crockpot with an added scoop of horseradish at the end. I brought these for T-Day dinner and even my picky father liked them. Kalyn has a couple of recipes using shredded sprouts and those are good too. Wish I was more help with the frozen ones.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Found this recipe and this one for roasted from frozen. Let us know if you try it!

Last edited by CyndiM; 01-20-2013 at 11:07 AM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #4  
sophie

I have experience with the fresh ones only. I steam them and when they are hot toss them in a vinaigrette made with balsamic and evo and a nice tough is to add roasted nuts, I usually roast walnuts. Of course for special occasions I add some chopped cooked bacon
take care
Sophie
sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #5  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

we make frozen ones all the time (the ones in the steam bag). First hint: NEVER cook to what the package says! I always cook them 30 secs to 1 min under. We eat them with Mrs. Dash, a bit of margarine and a splash of vinegar. So delicious (I wasn't a fan of BS either until my MIL made them with vinegar for me)!

You can also half cook them so they thaw, cut them in half and then saute with some turkey bacon, olive oil and balsamic.

And roasted too
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #6  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I like them steamed in the microwave with a bit of olive oil, fresh garlic and italian seasoning - especially good with a bit of chopped red or yellow pepper.

But I've only ever tried frozen once and I'm probably not going to be doing that ever again.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

Not on South Beach, but I buy the frozen ones. nuke them in the microwave, for about 3 minutes, or 4 (for individual serving). Then I saute them in the pan drippings from my protein with some mushrooms, with a little added salt and pepper. Soooo good.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 161/147/130

Height: 5'5.5"

I'm not on SB but can't resist a thread about Brussels Sprouts!

I just roasted 3 pounds with oil, salt and fresh ground pepper this afternoon to heat up with my evening meals this week. I too tried the plain frozen ones once and after steaming they just came out mushy so that turned me off. However, Wegmans has them frozen with bacon and they are delicious. I've also roasted them on my own with a lower fat, lower sodium bacon with a sliced red onion and that came out delicious too. I sometimes make a maple balsamic glaze to pour over them and that is yummy but the maple syrup adds sugar.

I love brussels sprouts!
kidjng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I rarely buy the frozen brussels sprouts, but when I do, first I nuke them til they're thawed, then toss them in a plastic bag with olive oil, sea salt and cracked pepper, spread them on a foil lined baking pan, and roast them at 425 until the desired browness.

My favorite way to cook fresh ones is to slice them into thirds and toss them into a large saute pan with olive oil and shallots and cook slowly until they are golden brown and caramelized. Sometimes I'll toss in some chopped roasted pecans for added delishousness.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 235/203/160

Height: 5'7"

Fresh are the way to go. We do the steam microwave frozen ones occasionally but they are bland and soggy.

Fresh - just cut off the tip of the stem, cut in half, toss with a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper and roast at 425 until softened and charred around the edges. SO good.

They are also good sliced super thin or shredded (food processor is great for this) and sauteed. Our local fancy grocery store (Wegman's) sells them shredded already.
tar118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Thanks for all the tips, chicks! I tried Jen's way, since they were frozen, and they were edible.
The one way I found before that I liked was a shredded salad with dried cranberries and nuts. I'll get some fresh and give it another go with some of these other ideas.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 174/T/140

Height: 5'3"

I found that I liked brussel sprouts when I started roasting them ... yum !

Now I have found an easier/ quicker way to get pretty much the same taste in a lot less time. Not sure if you can do this with frozen ones, but the fresh ones came out great. I used a non stick pan with no problem either. I don't have a stainless pan anymore.

This is from gearpatrol.com

Ingredients

1 bag of brussels sprouts (about two cups)
olive oil, for cooking
salt, pepper and garlic powder, for seasoning

Preparation

Trim the stems of the brussels sprouts and cut them in half vertically.

Cover the bottom of a stainless steel pan in olive oil. Season the entire pan with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Place the sprouts, cut side down, in the oil. Remember that the pan and oil should be cold at this point.

Put the pan over a burner on medium-high heat and cover it. “You’re going to steam them”, Whitsell says. “But it’s going to char the bottom with that garlic powder, salt and pepper
BuddysBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #13  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Yep, I roast them too - locks in the flavor and keeps them from getting mushy.

I prep them, cut the large ones in half, toss with olive oil and some dried herbs and roast in a very hot oven (like preheated 450 degrees). on a cookie sheet for 15-20 minutes (they will start to brown - stir half way through cooking.

I'll do the same with green beans, carrots, potatoes, beets (though beets are partially cooked on the cooktop to soften).

Want more flavor? Roast them with some chopped pancetta - super yum!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #14  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddysBuddy View Post
I found that I liked brussel sprouts when I started roasting them ... yum !

Now I have found an easier/ quicker way to get pretty much the same taste in a lot less time. Not sure if you can do this with frozen ones, but the fresh ones came out great. I used a non stick pan with no problem either. I don't have a stainless pan anymore.

This is from gearpatrol.com

Ingredients

1 bag of brussels sprouts (about two cups)
olive oil, for cooking
salt, pepper and garlic powder, for seasoning

Preparation

Trim the stems of the brussels sprouts and cut them in half vertically.

Cover the bottom of a stainless steel pan in olive oil. Season the entire pan with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Place the sprouts, cut side down, in the oil. Remember that the pan and oil should be cold at this point.

Put the pan over a burner on medium-high heat and cover it. “You’re going to steam them”, Whitsell says. “But it’s going to char the bottom with that garlic powder, salt and pepper
My wife and I make ours the same way. We make them all the time. If they are very small, we don't bother cutting them in half. But if they are the gigantic ones, we do. Yummy! We roast almost all of our veggies this way.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #15  

two recipes for amazing brussels sprouts but they must be fresh.
1. Cut in half, saute in pan with olive oil and fresh garlic. When a little caramelized, add chicken broth (a cup or two) that will steam the sprouts and make them yummy and softer. Then salt and pepper to taste
2. Cut in half, place on cookie sheet or roasting pan (not glass) sprinkle with salt pepper other herbs and spices you like. Drizzle olive oil on top, mix around to coat evenly. Place in a preheated 400-425 oven. Roast until well carmelized. Can do the same with cauliflower. Delicious!!
Vicky464 is offline   Reply With Quote