South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 173/157.8/133

Height: 5'4"

Default Trying Kale Chips one more time!

Is anyone out there successful making Kale Chips? It seems that whenever I get them Crispy, Crispy = burned. The last time my husband said they tasted like Ash (as least I think that's what he said)
So, this time I'm trying a lower heat - 225 for 20 to 25 minutes. I'm trying to get some stuff that works for bagging up and bringing in the car on those long work days!
CatMat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 210

Height: 5,6

You may need to do hiheg heat before I bought a dehydrator I used to put them on 350 for about 10 minutes, but I have an electrical oven if you have gas maybe 200 will work. You have to watch them very carefully because if you don't then they will burn. If they look dry and the water is gone then they are done; make sure you feel them and taste them. It make take a couple of times, but if you keep an eye on them then they won't. Never ever leave them. :+)

savynaturalista.wordpress.com
savynaturalista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 345/see tracker/200

Height: 5'7"

I love making Kale chips but yes, they can be very finicky. I burned a few batches before I figured out what worked for me. I put them in at 325 for about 7 minutes. I usually walk away for the first five minutes but the last two minutes I'm watching them like a hawk.
NYFLAgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/157.8/133

Height: 5'4"

I'm fortunate - While I live in a very modest house, I bought a terrific duel fuel convection range many years ago. It has quite a few settings. I cooked them at 225 for about 20 minutes, and then put them on dehydrate for a while longer. My daughter says they need some kind of sauce or something so they aren't so flimsy. Aaargh.
CatMat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 210

Height: 5,6

oh I have a wonderful kale recipe!! If you are useing a dehydrator. I would do 135 for an hour and then 115. the rest of the time.. I never herad of a dehydrator oven so I don't know.. My recipe is one table spoon of olive oil or oil of your choice. One are two teaspoons of salt to taste.. a half of a lemon and chili powder or canyene pepper.. Omg!! so good!! I love it!! Just throw it in the bowl all on the kale and make sure you massage it in really well. Make sure all the leaves of kale get the sauce. Please don't skip the lemon!! It brings out the flavor I dnt know why... I never had sucess with sweet potato chips with this flavor just kale I am still experimenting. You can barley taste the kales bold bitter flavor.. :+)

savynaturalista.wordpress.com

Last edited by savynaturalista; 08-06-2012 at 10:50 AM.
savynaturalista is offline   Reply With Quote