South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 12-19-2011, 02:15 PM   #1  

Default Inquiry About South Beach for Hubby

Hi everyone, my husband is set on starting the South Beach Diet, ever since his coworker lost 75 lbs. on it. He bought the book, which I have looked through as well. It seems as though only low fat products are allowed, but he has told me he is going to eat the full fat products he loves such as cheese and half and half in his coffee. And he probably won't give up steak or dark meat chicken.

My question is, have any of you succeeded incorporating full fat products into the South Beach Diet, otherwise following its structure? Will what he is doing work? I'd really like to see him succeed on this.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.
pourthetea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

My husband and I are doing SBD together. He has lost even more weight than I have on it. We eat full fat cheese and salad dressing, real butter, and half and half. We drink 2% milk, but that is our preference. We also eat dark meat chicken and steak. The book says to err on the side of fat rather than carb. If this is going to be a 'lifestyle' for us, there are some things we are not willing to give up. Best of luck to you and your husband!
Chelby29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #3  

Chelby, I cannot thank you enough for your response. You just made my husband a very happy man! I agree totally with your philosophy.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

I couldn't give up real bacon! Turkeys don't have bacon!! I do make sure I limit my portion size and not eat it as often. (I too prefer dark meat, enjoy steak, etc.). good luck!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

"Turkeys don't have bacon!"

Amen, Sister!
Chelby29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #6  

That was a good one! Gave me a chuckle! Turkey bacon just isn't bacon.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:55 PM   #7  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I eat full fat bacon & sausage lately & it hasn't affected my weight. I also use butter on steamed veggies sometimes. I occasionally use full fat cheese and have lately been getting my lattes with 2% instead of skim. They keep me fuller way longer. I agree with Chelby's comments about the carbs.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:35 AM   #8  

This is an excellent thread with good information. I have been on SB since Oct, and I am following the plan except I also don't give up certain things like butter and bacon.

I agree with Chelby, it has to be a lifestyle change you can live with. I know if I pushed it I could be losing more, but I am happy at this level, now just to get that darn exercise thing going!

Best wishes with your SB adventure.
chickadeee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:19 PM   #9  

I just cannot tell you how I appreciate your input. I so agree that higher fat foods are just more satisfying, like the great example of 2% fat milk in coffee instead of skim.

You guys are just the greatest. My husband has found a program he can live with, and I am now doing it along with him.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:23 PM   #10  

I might add that in all my reading about South Beach last night, I now think the most important thing is following the structure of South Beach, like avoiding those carbs Dr. Agatston talks about, and following the 3 phases.

I truly believe that higher fat foods will not hurt us. In fact, they just might help us stick to this wonderful eating plan. Maybe in the future Dr. Agatston might soften his stance on saturated fats. So many newer studies point to the fact that they are not harmful.

That said, South Beach will give me and my husband the structure we need. What a relief not to count up numbers (calories, carbs, etc.) all day long.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:41 PM   #11  

This is a great thread. I am coming off the Weight Watchers plan and starting South Beach. Although I use the 2% fat cheeses, I am used to using 2% milk in my coffee and having a few strips of bacon for breakfast (and I don't mean turkey bacon). I also like a few other higher fat items that is not really "legal" on South Beach.

So I'm doing what you are doing. Wow, it was meant to be that I found this thread.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:23 PM   #12  
Goals are the fuel

S/C/G: 176/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

I am a huge believer in making modifications to SBD to fit your life. For example, even on phase 1 I let myself have any salad dressing I wanted (oil/vinegar just didn't work for me) and I let myself have some flavored creamers in coffee.

However, I have been pleasantly surprised many times by how using the reduced fat, low fat, or even fat free versions of some foods tastes a lot better than I thought they would! I encourage you to experiment with food alternatives of milk, butter, cheese, and even meats - you may get a good surprise. I use extra lean ground turkey breast in lieu of ground beef, and I've been really happy with it.
FurnaceOfAchievement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:06 PM   #13  

Thank you Furn. I've already decided I will try and use lower fat options, but only if I don't feel like I'm depriving myself. I am intent on making this a lifestyle, not another diet. I've been on the diet cycle for over 30 years and it has to end with South Beach.

I am so glad to be here.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:38 PM   #14  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

pourthetea and joyceloves coffee, Welcome to The Beach. Are you two friends or neighbours. I notice you have the same ISP and just wondered.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote