South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-22-2011, 12:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 322/see ticker/160

Height: 5ft5

Default Need Menu Help!!!!!!!!!!

So this weekend there is a get together for about 10 at our condo that I can not get out of. They are having hamburgers, hot dogs, fish, and a mozz capri salad so far. I am supposed to bring a side dish and I can not figure out what I can bring to make sure that they enjoy and I have something P1 friendly to eat.

ALL SUGGESTIONS WELCOME...... HELP
OnMyWayDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

How about a slaw dish?
South Beach Cole Slaw
Prep time: 20 minutes
4 Servings

Ingredients
1 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 1⁄2 teaspoons celery seed
1 teaspoon granular sugar substitute
1 small (1- to 1 1⁄2-pound) head green cabbage
shredded (TK cups)
1 small (1- to 1 1⁄2-pound) head red cabbage
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Or - I make this "cold cream salad" in the summer - all types of veggies (tomatoes, radishes, cukes, squash if you like it, etc.), lf sour cream, small green onions cut really fine . . . very light and VERY easy.
ultimatebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #3  

You Are A Genus!!!!!!!!!! I Make A Similar Salad To The Cold Cream That I Never Even Thought Of!

Still Open To Other Ideas!

I Am Sure This Is Not Gonna Be The Only Party I Have To Attend This Summer
Old 06-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #4  

Height: 5'5

I would consider a salad. You could have chicken, beef, or ham (as in chef salad) strips in it. And low fat cheese (depending on what kind of salad). Tomatoes and cucumbers, and maybe onions or sprouts--these are all ok for any phase. And Avocado is ok too for phase 1. Just leave out croutons and carrots, and bring a SB friendly dressing.

Everyone likes to have some green salad at a potluck, and that way you can fill up on it instead of the off-diet stuff. I would choose something that I could overeat on, just because I know I would be super tempted by the other stuff and I can eat a lot if I allow myself. I would go with a salad or some kind of baked veggie casserole-type dish.

That coleslaw sounds good too--I want to make that this week! I love cabbage.
Stopfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

Veggie platter
Refried bean dip and taco chips (bring celery to go with the chips for dipping)
Hummus or red pepper dip and veggies
A bean salad

Last edited by fozentusic; 06-22-2011 at 03:27 PM.
fozentusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:24 PM   #6  
New Beacher!

S/C/G: 174/154/125

Height: 5' 4"

Texas Caviar?

ngredients
•1 pound dried black eyed peas
•6 cups chicken stock
•1 bay leaf
•1/4 cup corn oil or olive oil
•1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
•1 small green bell pepper, diced
•1/2 cup diced sweet onion (Vidalia, Texas 1015)
•1 jalapeno, minced
•2 garlic cloves, minced
•1 teaspoon black pepper (freshly cracked if you can)
•1/4 teaspoon ground cumin (I like more)
•1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
Directions
1.Combine the peas, stock and bay leaf in a large saucepan, and bring them to a boil over high heat.
2.Reduce the heat to low and simmer the peas until tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Add more hot water to the peas if they begin to seem dry. Stir only occasionally and avoid mashing the peas. When soft but not mushy, drain the peas.
3.Transfer the peas to a large bowl and toss gently with the remaining ingredients.
4.Refrigerate for at least 2 hours and preferably overnight.
KicknKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #7  

Cuke and Canellini Bean Salad

2 tbs EVOO
1 tb red wine vinegar
1 tb minced red onion
1/2 tsp oregano (I use basil here)
2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded and diced
1 15 oz can cannellini beans (rinsed and drained)
1 red or green bell pepper finely diced (I think red is better)

Whisk together oil, vinegar, onion and oregano (or basil) in large bowl. Add cukes, beans and pepper and toss to combine. Add salt and pepper as needed.

Simple and fresh
mexigrl64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:49 AM   #8  

Height: 5'2"

I would say a bean salad of some kind. Lots of recipe for them and easy to make.
Lindy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:33 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 143.1/130.5/110

Height: 5'1

You could do something like the taco bake and add a bowl of tortilla chips, that way people can decide if they want just the taco bake or want to eat it as a taco "dip."
asphyxia63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #10  

Or a fresh chopped salsa.. i make mine with:

tomatoes
green bell peppers
red onion
black beans
(sometimes corn)
cilantro
jalapeno
splash of white wine vinegar and olive oil
salt and garlic powder to taste

I don't really measure the amounts of veggies and beans use, just keep chopping until the mix of colors satisfies me

Also a big hit as either a dip with chips or tasty on its own. Can also use as a topping on a burger or on some fresh spinach or kale as a salad!
Old 06-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #11  

Height: 5'5

yum!
Stopfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #12  

Great idea with the salsa and the taco bake and all the others as well. I must admit my past is haunting me as I am a fabulous baker I have been asked to bring dessert.

As I would prefer not to advertise at this point that I am on a diet. ( I have found that mostly when you tell someone you are on a diet it turns into this obnoxious conversation about what they think is the best way you should lose weight and than becomes a massive topic of conversation every time you see them for the next god knows how long)

So I have decided that I will bring dessert which I will make the day off so that my husband and I don't have to look at in the fridge beforehand and I am also going to bring two other healthy items that I can eat. The only salad that is being brought is a capris salad and everyone has mentioned 5 times that the salad is covered so in addition to my other items I am going to bring a veggie platter (this way I have a main course and I will just descretley toss the bun for the burger!!!!

Thank you all for the help in figuring this out. I know you can't hide the whole time you are on a diet but sometimes it seems overwhelming.....
Old 06-23-2011, 03:18 PM   #13  

Height: 5'4"

Sugar free cheesecake!!!
I know there is a recipe on the recipe section . . . LOVE cheesecake.
ultimatebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:33 PM   #14  

Good opportunity to try out the famous beanie brownies and wait until everyone devours them then tell them it's beans!!!
I hear you about not telling people you're on a diet. It's easier to just make your own choices and not have people lecture you or exclude you from activities because they don't want to tempt you or whatever... But what do you say when "no thank you" doesn't work? At work the other day I had a woman try to GUILT me into sharing a choco taco with her. I was seriously enjoying my blueberries and had no interest in her dessert but she would not take no for an answer! I finally told her I was trying to be good with my sweets until the 4th of July and that finally seemed to satisfy her. But really, how does everyone avoid having to explain their eating habits to others?
Old 06-23-2011, 05:11 PM   #15  

Asphyxia- I can totally relate to people pushing you into things like that. My favorite phrase comes from people who know I am trying to be more healthy. " oh come on, one bite won't hurt you"
First of all one bite will totally kill me. I really want to bang them over the head and ask them if they have any idea how hard each lb really is to lose!

I try to tell people when they ask me if I want to order something or eat something I shouldn't that I have already eaten and will pass this time or that my stomach is bothering me and I feel something light will benefit me more. Luckily I find that with the SBD I can usually get away with ordering without anyone noticing but when they do I just hope for the best.

Sometimes I find that people are just way too concerned with what other people are doing and it drives me insane but alas this is life so I try to let it just blow by........

Beanie brownies???????????

Last edited by OnMyWayDown; 06-23-2011 at 05:13 PM.