South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-28-2011, 11:35 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 140/139/120

Height: 5'4

Talking

I will join you all too starting tomorrow!

I'm trying to get in shape for my wedding in October. Ideally, I would love to get down to my college weight 120, which is what I weighed 7 years ago! Honestly, I'll be happy if I make it to 125, but 120 would be ideal.

In regard to the SB diet, I've done it before any my body REALLY responds to it. Carbs, especially sweets, are not my weight loss friend for sure (I have an insane sweet tooth).

I look forward to posting about my experience and reading about everyone else's! So glad to have some company!

Last edited by Serendipity1026; 02-28-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Serendipity1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:38 AM   #47  

Height: 5'8

Hello Serendiptity and welcome!

My body really responds to changes in carbs too, funny how I never noticed it before!

I will be having an off plan dinner tonight, I know I technically shouldn't but this is a special occasion. My bf is going to the States (Texas) to work for five weeks, so I won't see him for over 5 weeks and he booked a table at an Indian restaurant where we've been wanting to go for months (tables are impossible to get!). So, for one night only I'll eat whatever I please :-)

I figured if I really need to, I can do an extra week of phase one to kill the cravings. At the moment, enjoying our last night before he goes is way more important than losing weight / stabilising my blood sugar. I think this is the SOuth Beach message anyway, be good most of the time but still enjoy yourself. Works for me!

Hope everyone else behaves themselves more than I do... :-)
claire0412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:04 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 218.5/211.1/175

Height: 5' 4"

Welcome back Lindyloo. It does work--I just finished week 1 of phase 1 and lost 3 pounds.

EmmaD thanks for sharing your favorite recipes--I am going to check some of them out. I use a lot of recipes from Eating Well the magazine and they always give the nutritional information. You can get any of their recipes from their website. I may post a few of my own. Thanks especially for the snack items.

Serendipity: I couldn't agree more on the carb issues. I can gain so much weight with so little added carbs--my body just seems hypersensitive. But of course that is what is in the SBD book--that some of us are and need to eat this way. Welcome to phase 1
jicarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:41 AM   #49  

jicarilla - well done for the -3 lbs!

Emma D - sorry I missed your post. Keep on with the C25K - you'll love it once you 'pass the threshold'! I remember when I started running, I saw it as the worst form of torture. I literally hated it but had to do it for Netball training, so basically had to suck it up. Once I'd increased my endurance so I could run 5k without too much hassle, it started to be more fun. Now I love it and see it as a nice break from my daily routine. I just tie up my shoes, grab my keys and ipod and run off out of the city into the semi-countryside and enjoy a bit of me-time! Some days I still have to kick my own arse to get me out the door though!!

Thanks for the great recipes too. I'd love to try things with spaghetti squash, but I can't get it at the moment because it's out of season. I've just ordered a organic vegetable basket for €12 a week, and will be using it to make my meals. You never know what you're gonna get, so maybe I'll get a spaghetti squash and then I can make some of the yummy pasta based recipes!
Old 03-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #50  
SGeranium

Height: 5"8

Hi all.

I keep a journal for food planning etc. and was surprised to see that today is day 14 for me. Clearly it was less painful than it could have been. I feel great. I did have to switch my longer runs to run walk intervals, but other than that all is well. I have even weirdly lost the desire for my long standing afternoon coke zero. I haven't even thought of it for at least a week. I'll have to spend some time looking into 1.5 transition today.....

Just Mary: night time eating has ALWAYS been my biggest struggle. I empathize. Keep on trying.
Claire: I envious of your Indian food date. Have fun with the basket. When we do it it really brings out the creativity in the kitchen.
Emma : thanks for the recipe recommendations. I seem to struggle the most when dinner is not very tasty. tried and true...............
welcome back returning South Beachers
SGeranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:16 PM   #51  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

When I first joined 3fc, the dinner threads saved me! And just perusing the On Plan thread for ideas. Because of that I tried spaghetti squash, chia seeds, smoothies, probably a bunch of other stuff, and I bought a crock pot and started making my own yogurt. Lots of good ideas flying around here!

I am back to Phase 1 today so we'll see how it goes . I'll report in on my success (thinking positively here) with the "running".

Today I made an omelet with 1 whole egg & 1 egg white, with a bunch of leftover sauteed veggies (zucchini, pepper, onion & kale). I added some lowfat cheese. YUM! And totally filling. I get sick of eggs too but with all this other stuff going on in the omelet it is delicious and works for me. Also I had spicy vegetable juice, which for me breaks up any egg overload.
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #52  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity1026 View Post
Ideally, I would love to get down to my college weight 120, which is what I weighed 7 years ago! Honestly, I'll be happy if I make it to 125, but 120 would be ideal.

In regard to the SB diet, I've done it before any my body REALLY responds to it. Carbs, especially sweets, are not my weight loss friend for sure (I have an insane sweet tooth).
I started SB about 140. Lost over 25# in about 4-5 months. We're about the same height too. Good luck! I love SB!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 351/ticker/150

Height: 5'7.5

Hi, all!

Today marks my return to Phase I for the first time since 2008. I have half-heartedly attempted phase 1.5 and other variations since that time, but with a trip to Scotland next month looming and the need to fit into a bridesmaid dress the month after that <groan> I need to really buckle down.

I can attest to the fact that Phase 1 - and SBD in general - works. I lost 115 lbs from May 2006 to early 2008. Since then, I've basically maintained, with small gains (and losses and gains) along the way.

Ready to finish this journey and Phase 1 will be the first step! Again.

Good luck, all!
citizenpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:57 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 329/307/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi everyone. I hope you all are having a good and healthy woe day today. I'm doing good so far but of course it's always nighttime that gets me. Once I eat supper I become an eating machine. But my son and I made a pledge, even more a vow, to each other that no matter what the pain or cravings, that we will not derail from our plan beginning today the first day of the month. It's such a beautiful day!

Thank you all for your encouragement. I will make it through because I am not giving up. Not this time. Every other time I have ever tried to lose weight I would have quit by now but that is not even an option in my mind. I guess that's progress right there.

CyndiM - I believe there is a thread for posting what you eat so I will start posting there. Thanks.

Lindyloo, Citizenpeace and Serendipity1026 -
justmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:05 AM   #55  

Hi everyone!

It is so early here, 6 am and I've been up for an hour already, and don't need to leave for work until 7am. My boyfriend left for Texas 15mins ago, and will be gone for 5 weeks (sob), so I've got 5 weeks to get my bum into gear and surprise him when he gets back!

JustMary - that's the spirit! How lovely that you can do this with your son!

CitizenPeace and Serendipity1026 - welcome

My cheat meal was good - I had a portion of rice with my curry, a mango lassi and 1/2 bottle of good red wine. I got a massive sugar shock (the "oh my god I have to eat right now" feeling and the shakes) about an hour afterwards though, and ate a low carb high protein muffin I'd made from cream cheese. That sorted me out. Now I'm ready to get back on it, go tee-total for a while (while going out more with my friends due to bf absence, hmm...) and stick to phase one for another week at least.

Last night's sugar cravings / blood sugar crashes were a reminder of why I started low carb in the first place, to try and get myself on an even keel. The joy of losing weight has taken over, must remember that is not the only benefit. That will help me keep to plan!

Have a nice Wednesday (3 x getting up early - done , 2 more to go!)
Old 03-05-2011, 06:46 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 351/ticker/150

Height: 5'7.5

Day Five of Phase I and feeling great!

Not tempted at all to cheat... Knock on wood. It helps that I've been a bit of a social recluse this week. I knew I would want wine if I hung with friends.

Now, is it just me, or has anyone else experienced clearer skin?
citizenpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:02 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 218.5/211.1/175

Height: 5' 4"

Yesterday was my last day of phase 1 and I have been totally successful--I have lost 4.9 pounds in two weeks, my weight is 201.5 and the Onederfuls are within sight for the first time since about 1990.

This time I am NOT going to make the same mistake: I am going to add carbs drip by drip instead of diving into lots. I have reread the first SBD book and am (shock!) following his advice to see how my body reacts to carbs as I add them and stop when I no longer am losing weight. I am going to add one piece of lowish carb fruit a day and see if I can get away with that as my first step.

Hopefully I will not have to come back to this thread (altho I will miss you guys). See you all on other threads when you too get done with Phase 1. Keep on truckin' This diet works!

Sharon
jicarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:32 PM   #58  

Starting phase 1 tomorrow. Have only 10lbs to lose but been trying to lose them for months! I need to focus
Dgrosalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:42 AM   #59  

Well done Jicarilla!

Welcome Dgrosalind! I also had about 11lbs to lose at the beginning of South Beach. I lost 2lbs on phase one (I didn't lose water weight because I was already low-carbing). I wasn't that strict (bad me) and now I really have to focus on phase 1.5 (phase one plus one piece of fruit). I'm still pleased with 2lbs though, better than nothinG!

Good luck to everyone and I will see you on other parts of the forum :-)
Old 03-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #60  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Starting Phase 1 on Wednesday. Planning my menus now and will be back to update accordingly!
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote