South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 214/210/150

Height: 5'6"

Default I feel stuck...

At the end of P1 I was 204. This is my second week of P2 and, while I briefly saw 200 on the scale yesterday, today it popped right back up to 203. I haven't had the heart to change my ticker yet. I probably shouldn't have changed it so fast. So, that's only a -1 in nearly 2 weeks. I know that weight loss is supposed to slow after P1, but so much?

I just wanted to get some advice on how to get things moving again. I have 2 ideas: 1, not eating enough veggies or 2, I did just start working out this past weekend. I've been walking about a mile in the morning with my dog and doing 30 day shred and candlelight yoga in the evening. I suppose my other idea is that I'm too impatient...

Any advice or tips would be helpful. Here's what I ate yesterday, if it helps:
Breakfast: Egg whites with onion and some Montreal steak seasoning
Lunch: Homemade tomato soup (tomato, onion, a little bit of sausage)
Snack- SF fudgesicle
Dinner- Baked Curry Chicken and Roasted Broccoli

That's a pretty typical day. I don't snack much, as I'm normally not too hungry between meals and I don't like raw veggies. I try to have either a soup or salad for lunch to get some veg in, and a lean meat and veg for dinner. I know this isn't a very P2 day, but I just made what I had on hand...
Lily In Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 170/149/145

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I didn't lose anything my first 3 weeks of Phase II. I just had a sudden -2 on the scale, but I'm waiting to see if that sticks....

I know a lot of other posters have mentioned that a new exercise routine can cause a stall as well, what with the body retaining water, muscle swelling, and other lovely issues.

Good Luck!!
AmyKitKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #3  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

Hi Lily! You'll get it girlfriend, don't worry. A LOT of people plateau and get "stuck" when they transition to Ph2, which is why a lot of us do a "Phase 1.5" to help the transition move along, kind of halfway between Phase 1 and 2. Also, when you plateau, make sure you're eating 1/2 cup of beans, 4-6 servings of veggies, and drinking 8-10 glasses of water each day.

A healthy rate of loss is 1-2 lbs per week. Phase 1 is going to be mostly water weight, so results are atypical of what you'll see the rest of your life. Patience IS a virtue, but also try not to worry about the number on the scale so much. If you're exercising now, you might be losing inches and not realize it!

Just hang in there. It does get better and it does come off eventually.
weezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:18 PM   #4  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

I understand how you feel.. Im on phase 1 still because im diabetic and because i get massive cravings on breads and fruits..but...i just started working out this past week..and i didnt see the scale move much at all this week even though ive been burning calories like crazy..and im like you too..i dont feel very hungry between meals either ... but im guessing its due to our workout routine thats new..which sucks about working out..cause you feel like youve gained..becaus you cant see the loss right away..
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #5  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I think you're on the right track. Sometimes, adding exercise encourages the muscles to hold water. My advice, don't change your ticker, keep working out and eat OP.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #6  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Are you getting in enough water? Curry chicken and tomato soup can have a lot of sodium, and working out also makes you retain water.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #7  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

I am a strong believer in the principle that the scale canNOT read an artificially low number! Keep that ticker where it is, stay on plan, and you'll see 200 again. I promise!
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #8  

Height: 5'8"

LIB, you are in good company. THis is my third week on Phase 2, lost only 1 lb since transitioning. (although I weigh in tomorrow). From past experience, just stick with it. The scale will definitely move again if you remain on plan and don't eat outrageous portions or gobs of fat. Remember the serving size for carbs too - it is so easy to serve oneself over one serving of rice and pasta. Just keep on keeping on and you will lose on the scale. We really should advise everyone not to expect to lose anything for the first month on Phase 2!

Last edited by Mmckellen; 02-09-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #9  
Live, Laugh, Love

I think all good things come with time and experience, really. I started Ph2 January 3rd and have lost 6.6 lbs since then. I don't exercise and I have a desk job where I sit on my butt all day. I have a horrendous metabolism. However, I've learned the right combination of things to eat after a lot of trial and error over time, and so I stick to what I know works, and I continue to lose. My struggle has always been will-power and not falling off the wagon. If I'm on, I got it now.

You'll all get it figured out. Eventually you won't have to try to remember to get 4-6 servings of veggies, drink all your water, etc. It'll become habit. So don't fret! It all comes together eventually
weezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #10  

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I am getting enough water- I'm trying to get in about 100 oz a day, which is 1/2 my body weight. I'm def doing a P 1.5, some days I don't get any P2 foods in, not intentionally just how the day shakes out. I'm trying to slowly add in whole grain pasta on occasion- twice a week so far and measuring out portions for sure.

It's good to hear that other people have stalled at this point, and to stick with it. I suppose that's really what I needed to hear >.<
Old 02-10-2011, 06:00 AM   #11  

Height: 5'8"

Also - if you weigh every day, you WILL be frustrated. The scale can go up and down by a couple of pounds or so day to day. Pick one day a week, and weigh consistently at the same time on that day - for me it is Friday mornings, right after getting up and peeing and hopefully "celebrating," with no clothes and dry hair.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:14 AM   #12  

Yeah, I think I need to work myself into the weighing once a week groove. I spun wildly off diet a couple weeks ago for a whole week, and when I got back on track I started weighing everyday to make sure I didn't go off track again (cause if I did I would see it before it turned into a whole week of madness). But I think I've settled into a good routine with my food, and so maybe I don't need that safety net anymore...