South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-25-2010, 04:19 PM   #31  

Oh, a BOOK thread Wahoo!!

I am reading "Managing Cultural Differences - a Global Leadership Strategy". Sound like a textbook? lol. This is the final semester in my MBA program, then after that, NO more textbooks.

For fun I am reading "Last Night in Twisted River." It takes a few chapters to get into it, but I am cruising along. After that, I have a big stack of books waiting, but they may have to wait until this semester is over, then stand back! I am going on a Reading Marathon.
Wavesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #32  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Karen, what kind of books are _Saving Adam_ and _Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil_?

Kim, is your grandmother from Japan? Was she a geisha???

Anne, I completely agree. And I can't believe they cast Steve Zahn as Al! Both of them were way off from what I imagined Dirk and Al looking and acting like. I just wanted to turn the movie off and pick up the book!

Xan, good luck with the Brontes. I cannot say that they are my favorites. Blech. Maybe I'll give them another decade or so and try again. My aunt was just telling me about _Sarah's Key_. She was reading it for her book club. I am interested to pick up _The Piano Teacher_ now. I'll see if I can get it at the library this week.

I finished _Golden Buddha_ and thought it was OK. It's the first of his Oregon Files books, which are my favorite (save _The Chase_, which is my all-time favorite Cussler book), but I think the editing was a little off because I had to read some sentences a bunch of times to get them to make sense and I found quite a few misspellings. That's always distracting to me. But I enjoyed the story and it was fun to read.

Today I just started _A Year of Living Biblically_ by A.J. Jacobs. A friend recommended it to me and it's hilarious! The author decided to take the Bible literally for a year and he chronicles his journey. He's Jewish, but he says he's Jewish in the same way that the Olive Garden is an Italian restaurant, which is to say, not so much. He classifies himself as an agnostic but he comes to his writing with an open mind and doesn't seem to be defending his philosophy. I'm curious to see what he thinks of organized religion by the end of the book.

I have two Hamish McBeth books by M.C. Beaton also in line to read. I loved her Agatha Raisin series and I'm excited to get to Hamish McBeth's stories.
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:39 PM   #33  

S/C/G: maintaining

I would like to read "Snowflower..." someday. I thought "South of Broad" was a bit slow.

Kara - Oops... it is "Expecting Adam" and is memoir by Martha Beck. (I have a bad memory.) Martha Beck. It tells about her pregnancy with her son with Down's Syndrome and some spiritual stuff in her life. My book club all loved it. "Midnight in the Garden of GOod and Evil" is about a true murder in Savannah but reads like a fiction account of a bunch of eccentric characters. I read it before I visited the city. (The book is much better than the movie.)

I am reading "U is for Undertow" now. Sara Paretsky PI fiction.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #34  
Started SBD 1/26/04

Beachgal - I loved The Lace Reader. I been to and love Salem, Mass and could picture all of the places they were talking about. I also loved the twist in it. Lots of food for thought.

I just finished Atlantis Code and Ark of Fire both of them are on the lines of the Dan Brown books. Looking for Atlantis and the church chasing after them in Atlantis Code. The Ark of Fire was looking for the Ark of the Covenant with religious zealots as the bad guys. Both were pretty good and light reading.

I just finished Gift from the Sea by Anne Lindbergh for my book club. It is about a woman comparing a woman's life to different sea shells. Not really something I liked but some of it was interesting. Her sentence structure was way to long for the most part.

I just started Still Alice by Lisa Genova for my book club. It is about a 50 year old woman who is a Harvard Professor that develops early on-set Alzheimer's. It has been really good so far and I have had a hard time putting it down.

Last edited by Sheba's Mom; 01-28-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Sheba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:25 PM   #35  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Since I'm going to Arizona, I'm going to read "Hopi" which is a pictoral history of the area I'm going to. Take with me books are "Yoga from the Inside Out"-Making peace with your body through Yoga, and "Essential Yoga" an illustrated guide. I'm working on a home practice and I think it would help to keep reading.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 210/200/167

Height: 5'10"

I just finished reading Dear John this weekend, what a disappointment! I saw the movie today and it was so much better!

Now I am reading The Girl Who Played With Fire by Steig Larsson
tigerkt2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #37  

I am reading Game Change since my mom loaned it to me and loved it. So far I am bored... I am not into politics. I am also starting my bargain-basement priced 3FC book.

Tiger - did you realize that Larsson died before any of his series was published!? How sad.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I just finished reading two really good books by Kristen Hannah, Firefly Lane and True Colors. I especially enjoyed Firefly Lane and could hardly put the book down. At first I couldn't get into True Colors, as I didn't care for one of the main characters at all, nor their language, but about 1/3 of the way through, the story really got good. I'm glad I stayed with it and would highly recommend both books.

Right now I'm reading Shanghai Girls by Lisa See. I just started it, but I've read several of her books and have really enjoyed them.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

I would expect with all the snow that we'd be reading away, but I had to dig this thread out! I have so many credits on PBS and can't think of anything to order so I came here looking for inspiration.

Right now I'm reading A Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon. I've loved all the other books in the Outlander series, but I really feel like I'm slogging through this one. I'm about halfway through, and so far nothing much has happened. Hopefully it will pick up.

And I'm reading Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief with the kids. They are really enjoying it, and I think it's okay, no Harry Potter, but not bad.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:44 AM   #40  
Visualizing the Goal

Schmoodle, I've heard the new Percy Jackson movie is very different than the books. Glad to hear you're enjoying the book!

I just finished _The Year of Living Biblically_ by A.J. Jacobs. I really enjoyed it and would highly recommend it.

I ordered a book about Martin Luther for our church's high school graduates and figured I should really read it first before giving it to them, so that's what I'm in the middle of right now. It's really interesting and I'm enjoying it.
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:09 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Schmoodle, I didn't enjoy The Fiery Cross as much as I did the other books in the series. The characters seemed different, somehow.

I just finished Shanghai Girls, and it was fantastic. I think there will be a sequel to it, as it more or less ended with a cliffhanger.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:46 AM   #42  

Lindsay is looking for vacation reading ideas. Suggestions anyone?

As for what I am reading now, I am finally joining the Oprah bandwagon and reading "Women, Food and God." Not sure it is me.

Next on my night stand is Jennifer Weiner's newest - "Fly away home."
Old 09-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 241/188.8/120

Height: 5' 2"

Not sure what genres she is interested in. I have done a lot of reading this summer. I started the Stephanie Plum series and it's very entertaining, light reading. The books are pretty funny, too.

I also just finished Justin Cronin's The Passage which I thought was excellent. It's really complex so it's hard to explain here, but it's a post-apocalyptic vampire book, but it is NOTHING like the Twilight books (or most of the other vampire books I have read).
audri8301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:27 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 221/211/170

Height: 5'5"

Talking Books Are My Life

They really are. I read them, I write them. One day I'll be published and thin and have nothing decorating any wall in my house because they'll all be covered in full bookcases!

Ahhh.... seriously now. I have a women's fiction kinda taste, and though I love Ms. O, I cannot deal with her seriously depressing book club, but that's just me. So, my suggestions are going to be fun with serious emotional themes, and mostly with happy endings.

I love gods in Alabamaby Joshilyn Jackson and everything else by her. She's hysterically funny and real and very emotionally satisfying. My favorite writer for years and years now is Jennifer Crusie, though I wasn't as thrilled with her co-written books with Bob Mayer. I would recommend ANY of her single-titles, but my favorites are Fast Womenand Bet Me.

I could go on and on and on like this, but I've been taking notes of the stuff you guys like and giggling as I plan a trip to my local used bookstore for tomorrow! Yay!
Bekidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #45  

Two books that I recently read and absolutely loved are The Help by Kathryn Stockett and The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton. If you're looking for something a little more challenging, Pride and Prejudice has always been a fav.
Onsecondthought is offline   Reply With Quote