South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 01:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/169/133

Height: 5feet 2inches

Default Day 2 of phase 1

Ok This is all new to me and I am on day 2 of phase 1 and really hoping this will work. It seems odd to me as I am eating such a lot of protein. Desserts are a big thing with DH, he too is on this diet and I know that 2 weeks minus a dessert are going to be very very hard for him.
I took a look at the desserts section for phase1 but not sure what to make. Living in the UK a lot of the ingredients are not available.
So I may have to experiment with things so he can have his dessert fix LOL

Does this diet really work?
Eggs, loads of meats, nuts limited, vegetables most but nothing with carbs in it. Water 8 glasses. No added sugar peanut butter is allowed. It all seems a little odd to me but I am game to give this a go.

Reasons for doing this diet.
I have tried all sorts of things and have never been able to lose the weight and keep it off. DH has heart problems and was told to lose weight he was told he should have a gastric bypass if he cannot lose the weight. That did it he went on a diet and lost 2 stone (28 pounds) but has not lost anything in a month so decided it was time to get serious and see if the South Beach diet would help. He is now 314pounds.
I was a whopping 178 pounds and now weigh 165pounds and really need to shed another 28 pounds.
This is a last chance thing for both of us as age is now not helping the weight loss. I am 54 nearly 55 and DH is 57.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:37 PM   #2  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Why does this form of diet seem odd to you?

Vegetables do provide carbs, but very limited amounts. After two weeks, you will be able to add back grains and fruits slowly.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:54 PM   #3  

It seems odd as with every other diet I have followed you eat cereals, fruit and carbs from day 1. Cutting out carbs and fruit seems odd thats all. I know it is for 2 weeks only but DH in particular is a big carb eater and I know he missed carbs already and it is only day 2.
Bread rice, pasta and potatoes have always been a big part of his meals.
What he used to have was
Breakfast: bowl of cereal or 2 slices toast and marmite
Lunch: 1 round of sandwiches or a bread roll with chicken, soup with bread, fish with bread etc
Dinner always contained meat veg and either potatoes (baked, mashed, boiled or roasted depending on we were having) Rice or pasta again depending on what were eating.

I keep reminding him it is for another 12 days only then we can start to add other foods into our meals.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:23 PM   #4  
beachin'

maybe this isn't the diet for him?

it's pretty common knowledge that upping your protein and reducing your intake of refined carbohydrates will cause weight loss.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:28 PM   #5  

He is determined to do this and I will support him all the way. I know we can do this as we need to alter how we eat for life and this will give us the structure we need.
He is reading all he can about this and has even ordered a book on it so I know he really means it.
I need to make meals interesting so he can get through the few days that way he will miss the carbs so much.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:32 PM   #6  
beachin'

The recipe section for Phase 1 meals is really great here, there is tons of really good, tasty good.

Also, google searching Phase 1 south beach recipes should yield some pretty good results.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:34 PM   #7  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

much success paula to you and your dh
Old 09-12-2008, 02:44 PM   #8  

Thank you Zeffryn I will certainly look up the recipes and use the search engine as well.

Thanks GONNABE165 I know we can do this if we really work at it.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

paula, it does work and it is a very healthy way to eat.
Have you and DH read the book so you have an understanding of the purpose of Phase I? During those 2 weeks that you are not eating grains and fruits, as well as junky stuff, your body will be able to "detox" from excess sugars, your blood sugar levels will stabilize, and you will lose the cravings for those sweet and starchy things, which makes it so much easier to stay on plan.
Phase I is not always easy, but very important, and two weeks will go by quickly.
Definitely take a look and find some recipes that appeal to you two. There are some great ones here, things I fixed in Phase I and beyond that have become part of our normal rotation (including husband and kids).

Oh by the way, I don't agree about the tons of meat. We eat meat, but a normal portion or two a day, and get protein from lots of other sources as well, dairy, cheese, eggs, nuts, beans, etc. I think it's probably not a good idea if you are eating pounds of meat/day. The most important thing is to fill up on veggies, at least 4.5 cups/day.

I think it's wonderful that your DH is determined to do this by way of healthy diet rather than his other option, and that you are so supportive of his efforts. Good luck to both of you, I hope this plan will be as successful for you as it has been for me!

Last edited by Schmoodle; 09-12-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:00 PM   #10  

We will be eating beans and other stuff so we will not be eating loads of meat for one thing it is too darn expensive. LOL
Old 09-12-2008, 03:03 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Eggs, loads of meats, nuts limited, vegetables most but nothing with carbs in it
If you eat all your veggies and beans you'll have a lot of carbs. 1 serving of nuts or nsa (no sugar added) peanut butter. When I started I was thinking it was more like loads of eggs. I couldn't believe that I could eat so many eggs and so much cheese a week and still lose weight.

When I followed sbd faithfully several years ago I lost 45 pounds rather steadily. My doctor was pleased with my results and did blood tests every few months because she thought it might raise my blood cholesterol. She told me to keep doing what I was doing because my blood results were great.

But I didn't confront the reasons why I over ate in the first place so I gradually put it all back on when I eventually returned to my pre SBD ways of eating. "a little won't hurt" is a very bad way of thinking.

Can you get TVP where you are? (Textured Vegetable Protein.) It's a very economical meat substitute.

Good luck
Sarah in MD

Last edited by sarahyu; 09-12-2008 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:12 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 211/211/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi Paula

Just to agree with everyone about how important it is to read the book - then you understand why you're eating this way. It all makes sense when you read the book.

On the dessert thing, yes, I agree many of the ingredients are not available here. You can get ricotta cheese from any supermarket - but not a low fat version. I first did SBD about 4 years ago, so I'm a bit of an old hand at tracking down similar ingredients here, so if you need any help please feel free to PM me.

Good luck!
Old 09-12-2008, 06:11 PM   #13  
Heather-Nic

S/C/G: 293.5/248/220

Height: 5'7"

Welcome to the forum and Good luck on your journey!!!
Old 09-12-2008, 06:30 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

to The Beach, Paula! As the others have said, make sure you eat plenty of beans and dairy to avoid getting that tired, headachey feeling that we fondly call "the SB flu." I wish you and DH lots of success, and for more tips and encouragement, you may want to check out our current Phase 1 thread.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:23 AM   #15  

Thanks I will certainly look up the thread mentioned.
The book has not arrived yet but it we be read when it gets here hopefully on Monday.
I am off to search the thread mentioned.
Thanks for the warm welcome and encouragement.
Closed Thread