South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-13-2008, 12:50 PM   #16  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Now I'm drooling!
I'm going off of celery its just bleh! Cauliflower tho. . .Poor Dh he has to sleep next to musical me!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:04 PM   #17  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

I was on Phase 1 again when I was flying enroute to my parents' home. I found that hard boiled eggs were an excellent food choice, as was pre-cut veggies but put in securely wrapped containers (water proof). It is so easy to find diet soda or bottled water as you are traveling. I lucked out and the airlines I flew had peanuts instead of pretzels as the snack choice. It worked a lot better than I thought it would.

With the summer heat, I am a little leery of doing mayo camping. I guess, I would stick to just keeping the bottled or canned beverages in the cooler with ice. No matter how good they say they are, they usually leak or "perspire" moisture and even though water is harmless, it can still make things soggy.

However, you can have a lot of delicious grilled lean meats and vegetables when you are grilling out. The grilled smell and flavor really add to the taste, I think.

Phase 1 is definitely do-able camping. It was for me when I was traveling on an airline although the chef salad I bought in the Memphis airport was overpriced and dry. The Bar-b-que though smelled awesome---boo-hoo I only could sniff!

Last edited by pamatga; 08-13-2008 at 03:05 PM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:33 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 245/233/150

Height: 5' 3.5"

I brought carrots, celery, broccoli and cauliflower and had no problems. I had a YUMMY spinach and artichoke hummus to dip them in that also held up well. The issue with the deviled eggs was that I had to lay them out flat in a plastic container, and it turned out to not be watertight (although my bf was an experienced enough camper to have us bag the containers, it just wasn't enough.) The items that were in bags and double-bagged did fine. The ricotta was in a smaller soft-pack cooler that got too warm in the sun, but I also tried traveling with ricotta last week and it was the first thing to go bad, so I'm done with packing ricotta!
erikalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:57 PM   #19  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I have one of those soft cooler packs that I use for fragile produce like a bag of lettuces and other greens & fruits. It keeps them just the right temp. As others have mentioned crunchy veggies do fine in watertight containers. I'm planning another camping trip leaving Sunday. Woo hoo
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote