3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Sonoma Diet Recipes (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sonoma-diet-recipes-189/)
-   -   Wave 1 - Slow Cooker Lamb Stew Provencal (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sonoma-diet-recipes/72314-wave-1-slow-cooker-lamb-stew-provencal.html)

petra65 01-09-2006 07:48 PM

Wave 1 - Slow Cooker Lamb Stew Provencal

Since I'm pretty sure the rest of you don't read low carb cookbooks, I thought I'd share my dinner recipe with you. I checked the food lists and it appears to be Wave 1 friendly and it was delicious. This is a Dana Carpender recipe also. For those of you who aren't familiar with low carbing, Dana Carpender is the queen of low carb cookbooks.

Slow Cooker Lamb Stew Provencal

3 lbs lamb stew meat
3 tbsp olive oil
1 whole fennel bulb, sliced lengthwise
1 medium onion, sliced lengthwise
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 bay leaf
1 tsp dried rosemary
15 ounces canned black soybeans, drained (I'm sure you could substitute any canned bean you like)
1 cup beef broth
1 tsp chicken bouillon concentrate
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
1/2 tsp dried savory
1/2 tsp dried thyme
guar or xanthan gum as thickener

Season the lamb with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat the oil and brown the lamb on all sides over medium high heat.
Place the fennel, onion, and garlic in the bottom of your slow cooker. Add the bay leaf and rosemary. Dump the soybeans on top of that. When the lamb is done, put it on top of the beans.
In a bowl, stir together the broth, bouillon, basil, marjoram, savory, and thyme. Pour the mixture over the lamb. Cover the slow cooker, set it to low and let it cook for 8-9 hours. When it is done, thicken the liquid with the guar or xanthan gum (optional).

8 servings each with 348 calories, 17 g fat, 41 g protein (assuming soybeans), 8 g carbs, 4 g fiber.

For you grain eaters, this would be great over brown rice or bulgur. I had the spinach apricot salad from the book as a side.

Lpree 01-10-2006 10:07 AM

This sounds great! I actually have one or two low carb cookbooks - I'll have to check those out.

Can you get guar / xanthan gum at regular grocery stores? I wonder what aisle it would be in...

petra65 01-28-2006 12:52 PM

No, those are sort of specialty items. You could use corn starch or flour as a thickener since you won't mind the extra carbs. Sorry I didn't notice your question sooner. I actually didn't thicken mine and it was fine.

MomsterBarb 02-23-2006 10:37 PM

Can you swap the lamb for another meat? If so, which? I'm not wild about lamb.

LindaT 02-23-2006 11:26 PM

Do you have the book yet? It really helps make substitutions so I recommend you get it if you haven't. :) Of course you may be one of the several people who have it on backorder!!

Most any meat lean cuts of beef work, lean cuts of pork, white poultry, even veal

MomsterBarb 02-27-2006 11:28 AM

I have the book. I guess I over looked the substitutions section. I'm such a newbie.