Old 10-27-2008, 10:29 AM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Talking Sourdough Stuffing with Pears and Sausage

This is the stuffing recipe I've used for the last two years. Everyone really liked it at our family Thanksgivings. I've tried this stuffed in a turkey and baked in a pan. It's good both ways...a bit wetter when in the turkey and a bit crispier when in the pan. Very, very yummy!

Quote:
Sourdough Stuffing with Pears and Sausage

Sourdough bread gives the stuffing a tangier flavor than French bread, but you can use the latter in a pinch. [This is in the Cooking Light recipe, though I wouldn't do it--French bread isn't SBD-safe.]

8 cups (1/2-inch) cubed sourdough bread (about 12 ounces)
1 pound turkey Italian sausage
Cooking spray
5 cups chopped onion (about 2 pounds)
2 cups chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrot
1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled Bartlett pear (about 2 medium)
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 425°.
Arrange bread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 9 minutes or until golden. Place in a large bowl.

Remove casings from sausage. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add sausage, and cook for 8 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add sausage to bread cubes, tossing to combine. Set aside.

Return pan to medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, and carrot; sauté 10 minutes or until onion begins to brown. Stir in mushrooms; cook 4 minutes. Stir in pear, basil, tarragon, and salt; cook 4 minutes or until pear begins to soften, stirring occasionally. Add pear mixture to bread mixture, tossing gently to combine. Stir in broth and pepper.

Place bread mixture in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; cover with foil. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake stuffing an additional 15 minutes or until top of stuffing is crisp.

Yield: 12 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)

CALORIES 199 (24% from fat); FAT 5.2g (sat 1.6g,mono 1.5g,poly 1g); PROTEIN 10.7g; CHOLESTEROL 23mg; CALCIUM 54mg; SODIUM 684mg; FIBER 3.4g; IRON 1.8mg; CARBOHYDRATE 28.6g

Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2005
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote