Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 11:02 AM   #1  
Healthy Living

S/C/G: 150/150/125

Height: 5'5"

Exclamation NOTICE: New Challenge/Group Starting

Today is Saturday, May 13, 2006.

Junia, San*_* and I are starting a new diet challenge soon based on the book "Eat to Live" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman (see drfuhrman.com) The book outlines an initial plant-based six-week plan eating nutrient dense foods to cleanse your system and promises dramatic weight loss. We haven't yet outlined the "terms" of our challenge and invite your input.

The plan will be very challenging for me, a voracious meat eater. It will be challenging for vegans Junia and San*_* as well. I will probably not follow the plan exactly but hopefully will achieve my goal of eating more veggies. At minimum, I expect to be healthier and lighter.

Please join us if you are interested. We will probably start our support group in the Veggie Chicks forum as it's less crowded over there.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:03 PM   #2  

Woo-hoo! Time to Eat to Live! I did it for two weeks, lost several pounds, and felt great. Then I went out to eat a couple of times, had to compromise, and, well... pfft. But I'm very confident in the program so I want to get back onboard. It will be great to have a place where we can share ideas and encourage each other.

Thanks, Sarah, for starting this thread!
Old 05-14-2006, 09:44 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 257/241/140

Thumbs up

I like a good challange and the eat 2 live book is really good I have read it and I'm up for it lets play
Old 05-14-2006, 11:35 AM   #4  
Healthy Living

Talking San*_*'s Post from Veggie Challenged Forum

I had to post San's post from the Veggie Challenged forum here b/c it's too funny to be missed! Read what this funny chick wrote below:

"Here we are. Three ladies standing united against the fat. And fighting it fiercely with carrots, celery sticks and we will even violently attack with a can of low cal cooking spray if there is some sneaky flab trying to attack us in the dark hours of the night. Cherry tomatoes are our bullets and lettuce leaves our shield. I just ripped a pair of jeans yesterday, and who was to blame, yes the enemy, the flab. The war has begun....
Anyone wanting to join the team can and is most welcome to!"

Now doesn't that just make you want to join us and eat vegetables?
Old 05-14-2006, 03:30 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSarah
I had to post San's post from the Veggie Challenged forum here b/c it's too funny to be missed! Read what this funny chick wrote below:

"Here we are. Three ladies standing united against the fat. And fighting it fiercely with carrots, celery sticks and we will even violently attack with a can of low cal cooking spray if there is some sneaky flab trying to attack us in the dark hours of the night. Cherry tomatoes are our bullets and lettuce leaves our shield. I just ripped a pair of jeans yesterday, and who was to blame, yes the enemy, the flab. The war has begun....
Anyone wanting to join the team can and is most welcome to!"

Now doesn't that just make you want to join us and eat vegetables?

Absolutely!

A friend of mine who is doing really well on her weight loss told me her slogan: "Being fat is cheap and easy... and I am NOT cheap and easy!"
Old 05-14-2006, 10:54 PM   #6  
Eating My Veggies

S/C/G: 205/200/140

I want to join you girls!
I'm new here and tried a vegan diet for a few months and LOVED the results. That's when dh was away and it was easy to change my diet without having to cook for him. Well, I've decided I'm going back to it whether he wants to eat that way or not, because I want to (and need to) do it for myself. So count me in!
Old 05-15-2006, 04:20 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 74.6/67.5/56 or 165/149/124

Height: 5'5 1/2

Ggbdominoa and ArcticAngel welcome to the team!
San
xx
Old 05-15-2006, 05:21 PM   #8  

i'm starting a juice fast for today this afternoon really and tomorow then hopefully I'll be readyI'v been an ovo-lacto vegitarian since january so this wont be to differnt I've really cut back on the chesse and eggs and I'm ready to make the jump to vegan woohoo we're going to be so helthy and slim. It's nice to have a group to have support with.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:26 PM   #9  

oh yes check out fatfreevegan.com it has alot of eat to live recipes. some are really good lots of salads and stews
Old 05-16-2006, 12:46 PM   #10  

You know, I've been a vegan for a few months now... I did the Eat to Live plan for two weeks about a month ago, and since then I've been *almost* doing it (using a little oil, basically, and maybe an extra serving of grains). So my system has gotten really used to it. Well -- I was out of town here for a couple days, and had to eat a little differently because of poor options. I wound up having plain bagels with preservative-laden peanut butter, instant oatmeal, and stuff like that. Lots of processed foods. Anyway, I feel SO SICK. I'm going back on Fuhrman's plan RIGHT NOW. I tell you, if you don't have the book -- go buy it! Then read it cover to cover, and give it a chance. It sounds extreme, but man, it makes your body feel GOOD!
Old 05-16-2006, 03:52 PM   #11  

I'm interested in this challenge, although I don't have the book yet and not sure exactly what the diet is. I am veggie already, and recently cut out caffeine, and I feel better when I n't eat processed foods. The only question is, does it take a lot of preparation, as I don't always have much time?
Old 05-16-2006, 04:51 PM   #12  
Healthy Living

Babs, the basic plan is listed below. I checked out the book from the library. Please join us! We're starting no later than Monday May 22.

UNLIMITED (eat as much as you want)
raw vegetables (goal: 1 pound daily)
cooked green vegetables (goal: 1 pound daily)
beans, legumes, bean sprouts, and tofu (1 cup daily)
fresh fruit (at least 4 daily)
eggplant, mushrooms, peppers, onions, tomatoes

LIMITED (not more than one serving per day)
cooked starchy vegetables or whole grains (butternut or acorn squash, corn potatoes,rice, cooked carrots, sweet potatoes, breads, cereals) (1 cup max. per day)
raw nuts & seeds (1 oz. max. per day)
avocado (2 oz. max. per day)
ground flaxseed (must consume 1 T per day)

OFF-LIMITS
dairy products
animal products
between-meal snacks
fruit juice, dried fruit

Last edited by SSarah; 05-16-2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:55 PM   #13  
Healthy Living

Default Questions for Junia

Why does Fuhrman recommend no between meal snacks?

In the Limited section, can we have 1 cup cooked starch plus 1 serving nuts/seeds plus 1 serving avocado per day? Or is it one serving total of that group?

Thanks our experienced one!
Old 05-16-2006, 08:58 PM   #14  

Sarah: I'm not sure why the limit on no between-meal snacks. I think maybe it's to accustom us to feeling hunger in a different way. Me, as I've been doing my own "semi" version of the plan, I've been snacking on the fruit or nut servings. As for the "Limited" items -- the way I read it, we're allowed to have one of each of those, and he especially encourages the flaxseed for the Omega-3 fats. Try his easy banana fluff (frozen banana blended with vanilla soymilk) topped with flaxseed. It's yummy.

Babs: I hope this sounds like something you would like to do. Ssarah listed the six-week plan above, and it will REALLY help you stick with it if you read the book. It's kind of like a detox period so that your taste buds and hunger sensations change, which makes it easier not to go back into your old habits if/when you choose to add in small amounts of oil, animal foods, etc. It doesn't require a lot of prep work, although you could do it up fancy if you wanted. The way like it is to eat a lot of salads. Also, wraps are good -- I buy pre-shredded broccoli salad mix and put it on a multi-grain tortilla spread with hummus or lentils, add some spinach, and have myself an easy lunch wrap.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:52 PM   #15  

ok so the fast didn't go so well. I'm haveing insuline resistance issuses and I didn't think this would bother it but I'm wiped out now blood sugar messed up. Oh well I tryed. I think the thing to rember is to keep it simple. I wonder if we really eat a pound of food would we really get hungery?
Closed Thread