2017 Lifting

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • New accountability thread? Is anyone still around?
  • Sure, I can join this thread, it's one of my favorite topics!
  • I'm lifting in '17.
  • I'm lifting also, following some DVD programs. I was sick the majority of 2016 and only recently got cleared for lifting. I'm excited to put some muscle on, because I have gotten very weak.
  • Clearly there are loads of us moving heavy stuff this year!

What are your ladies' plans for 2017 workouts? And diet too, if that's a challenge that you're working on in relation to lifting.
  • I've gone back to using kettlebells for the next few months.

As far as diet? Eating more plant-based this year.
  • I would like to lower my body fat some. If I get to 18% I will be happy.... Maybe... I am already happy, but a little bit of fat needs to go (why am I always trying to make improvements?)

I also want to forget about the scale. The scale is my enemy. I will use body fat percentage instead of weight from now on (thanks FitMom for the idea). Because I am putting on muscle, I am getting heavier and heavier. The scale is a liar!!!

As far as training, I don't follow any special program. I meet with a trainer once a week, and learn some exercises from her, then apply some of the exercises that I learn at the gym.

I do heavy dumbbells. I would like to get to 60 pound dumbells on the chest press this year. I am currently at 50. That's a tangible goal.

As far as diet, I want to continue what I am doing now (avoiding bad carbs, sugars and flours). It seems to be working well, although I will have a slip-up from time to time.
  • I'm in! Trying to drop some inches before my brothers' wedding in March.
  • Hi all! I'm in! I am using a kettle bell as well as resistance. Trying to strengthen and tone
  • Cool, nice to have you guys aboard! Anything in particular you'd like to report and/or be kept accountable for and/or ask about?
  • I started low carb way of eating 10/01/16 and added a mile on the treadmill and specific target area strength training exercises around 12/8/16. I do all these in the morning. I recently obtained a bowflex blaze and started doing the10 exercise/20 min whole body exercises on it in the evenings. I just want to keep at it and find ways to change it up a bit every couple weeks
  • I'd like to join! I'm starting barbell weight training right now, I'd like to be able to lift more than just the bar haha. I do squats 5x5, overhead presses 5x3, deadlifts 5x1, 3 sets of 30 sec planks. Then I switch it up two days later with squats 5x5, barbell rows 5x5, bench press 5x5 and 3 sets of 30 sec planks. All with just the bar so far, I would like to get much stronger by the end of the year, hopefully lose some inches as well.

Deadlift question for anyone who knows: should i start with some weight on there so I can practice proper form, or can I practice proper form just with the bar without having the barbell touch the floor?
  • Remember to keep your back totally straight, not curved. And stick your boobs out ha ha!
    I do straight leg dead-lifts so the bar doesn't touch the floor. Legs are straight but knees are not completely locked, I hold the bar down close to my legs, go down as far as I can, keeping my back straight.
    It's important to keep your back straight so you don't get back injuries.
    You should use a mirror so you can watch your side.
    And yes, use a lighter weight to practice your form first.
  • Chamomile - You can also just use dumbells to deadlift, which is arguably a safer choice for your shoulders anyway. Everything stronggal added is great advice too.

wefrogy - Which areas are you targeting right now for strength training?
  • Hi guys, I did a lot of weight lifting last time I got in shape and I'd like to join.
    I usually do dead lifts, squats, a couple arm exercises (curls, etc). Then basic planks . It seemed to work really well last time. I prefer to do full body exercises because I felt like I got a better work out and I just felt great in general.

Sadly I have a 7 month old and between that and working overtime at my Jov I'm having trouble finding time. My goal this month is to start back.