Alternative Products that will work on Phase 1, Part 7

You're on Page 1 of 23
Go to
  • Time for a new thread, since we went well over 500 posts on the last one.

Quote: I made the chocolate "cookies" today and I added in 9 drops of peppermint extract and had chocolate mint cookies. OMG! I am going to make PB ones for dinner (I LOVE peanut butter cookies ).

I am not a huge fan of the consistency of pudding, but Ro keeps raving about it, so I may have to try it
    I've made Ro's Quest pudding twice. IMO, it's really more of a frosting consistency than pudding. I kept thinking it would be good on some kind of baked good.

When you've made the cookies, do they turn out crispy at all? The one attempt I made, they were gummy. Reminded me of wet cardboard. I never thought of myself as a picky eater, but being on this protocol, I've learned that I'm pretty fussy about texture.
  • No, not crispy. They are more like a cake or bread consistency. I have been baking them in the toaster over at 350 for 12 minutes and they turn out great. "Cookies" is a little deceiving because although they are shaped like they are more spongy.

I've been making them with 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1 scoop quest protein powder and 2 oz. ice cold water. I have been putting the water in my shaker with ice cubes, shaking them up and then measuring out 2 oz.

I am fussy about texture too, which is why I don't really like pudding texture. Even when I was using IP products, I always made the pudding packets into either shakes or cookie / cakes.

I have been finding the cookie cakes a lot more satisfying than just drinking shakes, probably has to do with the fact that I am chewing something and eating vs. drinking.

Can you post the pudding recipe?
  • 1 scoop flavored Quest powder + 2 oz water.

I tried adding 0-0-0 pumpkin spice flavored syrup to the vanilla powder but the vanilla still overpowered it.
  • I have made the chocolate with adding a few drops of peppermint extract for chocolate mint cookies. Otherwise, I have just been eating them as is.

A quick update on the Quest Banana protein powder- It is really good as a shake! It was decent when I baked it and thought it would taste worse as a shake, but I think it tasted better!
  • Alternative Products that will work on P1 - Part 7
    We reached 500 posts on the Alternatives thread Part 6 so here is a new thread for the IPeeps who are looking to follow IP without use of an IP clinic, coach and the official, rather costly IP packets....

I am struggling to do a re-boot largely using alternatives - I have discovered Quest chips as well as their powders and bars.

Very good and versatile options to the IP products. I will enjoy saving some money this go around with the IP program by having more affordable protein foods that I can depend on.

here is some of the content from Lisa's invaluable initial post in Part 6 for Alternatives:

Quote:
    For those who don't go back to the previous thread to find the info (recommend as much research as possible!), here is info on how to pick an alternative product:

If you need specific info on WHAT to eat on IP, go here:
    IP Protocol Sheets (this info is linked every day on the first post of the daily chat thread)

Here's a detailed breakdown to consider:
    - under 160 calories = Unrestricted (though MOST IP packets range from 90-120)
    - 160-200 calories = Restricted (once/daily)
    slightly over 200 cals (or 30% fat) is super-restricted (once/weekly)
    - less than 30% cal from fat (multiply cals from fat x 3; OK if lower than total cals.)
    - under 8 g net carbs - unrestricted
    - 9g-16g net carbs - restricted
    - 17g net carbs - super restricted (only once/twice per week)
    - above 17g net carbs is too high to be good for Phase 1
    - at least 12-15g protein (don’t go much above 20g regularly)

* NET = Total carbs minus fiber (some people also subtract all sugar alcohols from total carbs; some subtract half; some choose to not subtract any...... sugar alcohols can affect your body similarly to sugar with spikes) Also remember NO Aspartame!

• I started this new thread but it was missed and I saw that another has been started... Bill Blue Eyes merged the two threads for us, so we are back in order now - the basic guidelines are a few posts in on the first page of the thread, but hopefully folks will find them.
  • My favorite restricted bars are from GNC. Robert Irvine Fit Elite choc chip cookie dough and Oh Yeah! Victory bar choc chip cookie dough. They taste nothing alike, but I like them both. The fit elite bars are super chocolatey and will leave you wanting more. I didn't like the Oh Yeah bars at first, but have learned to love them. The choc chips are sprinkled on top for that bar.
  • DKC, I am always looking for alternatives, especially restricteds. I live for them! I just looked up the nutrition facts and if I am looking at the same thing you are talking about, they are pretty well outside the guidelines to fit the P1 protocol. Could you post a picture of the nutrition labels so that I can make sure I was looking at the right thing?
  • After about 10 days or so of Quest pudding, I got tired of it, especially after running out of peanut butter and wanting something more substantial. I picked up a tub of Chocolate Quest powder and made cookies yesterday. I haven't had chocolate ones in a few weeks - really enjoyed them. Swapping flavors and different uses is a key I think for not getting bored, fighting cravings, etc.
    I was starving for some reason last week and especially yesterday. The cookies helped but so did leaving the house for the day. I think a key is only have the pudding for breakfast. I have been doing that for last 10 days and today I had a cookie instead, and I feel a lot fuller and satisfied than I have recently.

I think the chocolate powder makes the best cookies. I always get like a pudding cake type result with this as a cookie especially when I store it in a Ziploc bag.
  • Ro- If you like mint chocolate, try adding 8-9 drops of peppermint extract to the chocolate cookies. They are really good!

I have been making cookies for both breakfast and dinner (I eat my 8 oz. protein at lunch) and I am constantly rotating flavors I have also been ridiculously addicted to the Quest Chips as my afternoon snack. Sea Salt and Cheddar & Sour Cream are my favorites, with BBQ not too far behind.

I bought a couple of the Quest bars to try. In the past, I haven't been much of a fan, but I heard they changed their formula, so maybe I will like them. They haven't steered me wrong with the powder or chips. I am also going to try baking them.

All in all, I have been very happy with the Quest products and am finding that using the alternatives is effective.
  • Quote:
    I bought a couple of the Quest bars to try. In the past, I haven't been much of a fan, but I heard they changed their formula, so maybe I will like them. They haven't steered me wrong with the powder or chips. I am also going to try baking them.

All in all, I have been very happy with the Quest products and am finding that using the alternatives is effective.
    Just FYI, the re formulated bars don't fit protocol - too high in fat. But with your exercise, you might not see an impact on your weight loss.
  • Quote: Just FYI, the re formulated bars don't fit protocol - too high in fat. But with your exercise, you might not see an impact on your weight loss.
    Thank you! Good to know. I haven't had any yet, but maybe I can just do a 1/2 bar if I really want one. So far, I have been doing it with all unrestricted items because I am seriously addicted to the chips and Ro's "cookies". The cookies fill that void of something sweet and chewy that I used to rely on the bar for, so I haven't been missing the bar at all. And the chips are unrestricted, so I am also getting something salty and crunchy every day.

I only bought a couple, so maybe I will just save them for after...
  • Quote: Ro- If you like mint chocolate, try adding 8-9 drops of peppermint extract to the chocolate cookies. They are really good!

I have been making cookies for both breakfast and dinner (I eat my 8 oz. protein at lunch) and I am constantly rotating flavors I have also been ridiculously addicted to the Quest Chips as my afternoon snack. Sea Salt and Cheddar & Sour Cream are my favorites, with BBQ not too far behind.

Thanks, Jenny. I ready your posts and am glad you found that mixture that you like but for me, I don't like mint. For me, the chocolate is great just as it is.
    I also don't care for the Quest bars, especially because I don't want the carbs. I'm skeptical about the dietary fiber count which is why I am not allowing myself the Combat Bars either - to me the taste is superior to any protein bar I have tried but I don't trust the carb count. Plus, these are a trigger for me they are so good so I am avoiding them until Maintenance.
    I have found the Quest chips are also a trigger for me as I can't keep myself to eating just one bag so I avoid them. I just re-incorporated the BBQ Crisps from IP as I was missing something crunchy. I have had the Quest Chips, the chips from Nashua nutrition and IP's, and I have found IP's to be the best. So, although it is not convenient for me to get them, I made a special trip to get them. I bought a month's worth of Chicken Soup and BBQ Crisps which I believe will get me through P1.
  • Jennydoodle - the quest bars are a trigger for me too, but I find them to n
    Be best when they are cut up - one bar divided into 8 little cubes - and then out them on the baking sheet in a 350 degree oven for 8-9 mins. Yummy cookies result - texture changes from Turkish taffy like texture to a real cookie like texture - dense like a brownie. Add a cup of chai or decaf coffee.. Yummy beyond belief! But really super restricted now that they gap have refurmulated and upped he fat content.