Water Rentention...Am I alone???

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • On my 3rd week with the Waterfall Diet. I really messed up this week due to cravings, cheating and junk food. Will try harder this week.
  • So far, I have been doing the Waterfall Diet for 10 weeks and have lost 5 kilos.
  • I used to take HCTZ and found when I went off it and started retaining water that making sure I got at least 3500mg of potassium a day (in the form of food, not supplements...the RDA is 4700mg!) and 320 mg of magnesium citrate and my water retention is much better. Making sure you get the RDA of potassium and magnesium could be a good place to start. I track my food in cronometer and went "WOW" as I had only been getting about 2500mg

EDIT I no longer need BP meds with my weight loss
  • Congrats
    Granny😄, so happy for you. Your awesome. I love your posts.
  • I have been on the Waterfall Diet for roughly 14-15 weeks. I have lost 6 kilos. Somewhere along the way, I started to experience a diet plateau so I started doing light exercise, and for the past 2 weeks, I have been listening to a half-hour evening visualization (Jon Gabriel) before bed. The Gabriel Method is helping me make better food choices. Tomorrow, I will start training on my eliptical. My next weigh day is on Sunday so I will see if a combo of Waterfall Diet + Evening Visualization + Elliptical training makes a difference.
  • 16-17 weeks on the Waterfall Diet. I only lost 100 grams this week LOL. I will train harder on the elliptical and check in next week.
  • 19 weeks on the Waterfall Diet. Lost 7 kilos.
  • 20 weeks on the Waterfall Diet. Lost 7 kilos and then I gained 1 kilo back. I think instant coffee is making me gain weight. Switching to tea tomorrow.
  • Cornsilk tea helps...
    Check with your doctor,but I've tried cornsilk tea to help reduce water. It is really cheap too...and during corn harvest time, available when you shuck corn! But many herbal shops sell it for not much money in a dried form...
  • I had gotten off of the HCTZ but now am back on a lower dose than originally of the losartan but the same HCTZ not happy as weight loss has continued and I already eat a low sodium diet. Really working on natural solution and asking doctor to check kidney function next check up but she normally does do that. I have no explanation as to why I have started retaining water again. The challenge is the HCTZ drives out sodium and potassium and the losartan retains potassium and, honestly, I would rather have neither as I can keep potassium and sodium balanced in my diet and with these drugs it makes it more challenging. For example can I use no salt if taking both drugs or not?
  • I take HCTZ and have been since having a hypertensive 2nd pregnancy. I lost 50+ pounds after that baby but stayed hypertensive. I take a low dose and it just keeps me at the new "prehypertensive" levels (Doc labelled it benign hypertension). Just genetics as I add no salt to any of my food and do more fresh fruits and vegetables. I have never had an imbalance with blood salts as my diet compliments the medical intervention. I think your inclination to check kidney/heart function is a wise one as fluid retention without dietary/hormonal causes may point to something else.