Jicama: What To Do With It?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • I picked up a Jicama on Saturday and am wondering how I should cook it to IP standards?
  • I slice it thinly with a mandolin slider and cook in a pan with olive oil til slightly brown (mostly on the outside). It's actually also delicious as fries, I've recently discovered!
  • Jicama
    Loads of ways to eat this wonderful veggie.

Julienne and put on salads.
    Slice like fries and dip in dressing

I've tried both of these and they are really good.

There are recipes out there that say that they can be baked like french fries but I haven't tried that.

Raw it's crunchy and has the consistency of an apple, but not as sweet.

In the past I used hummus as my dip of choice for this. But no more.
  • Was looking at it at the grocery store the other day and was wondering how to cook it as well! I'll definitely be trying it!
  • Quote: Loads of ways to eat this wonderful veggie.

Julienne and put on salads.
    Slice like fries and dip in dressing

I've tried both of these and they are really good.

There are recipes out there that say that they can be baked like french fries but I haven't tried that.

Raw it's crunchy and has the consistency of an apple, but not as sweet.

In the past I used hummus as my dip of choice for this. But no more.
    look in the recipe threads for the caulihummus recipe and the mockamole. Both would make great dips for jicama
  • I slice it like a piece of cheese and put paprika on it. yummy!!
  • I have never tried it. The small local grocery store doesn't carry it, I will have to go to the big city and see if I can find some!
  • Yes, do look for it - it's really worth trying!

I finally found jicama just a few weeks ago, after months of searching.
    I loved it instantly. Sadly, I loved it a little too much.

I didn't care for it raw, but I cut it up and baked it in the oven like fries.
    Oh my.
    Oh MY!!
    (Note - they will still have some crunch to them no matter how long you cook them. I like that crunch!)

I have never had cravings for my Quest bars or any of the sweet IP products, but something about the sweetness in cooked jicama was like crack to me.

When I started sneaking bites of the leftover fries out of the fridge late at night I knew I had to give it up.

I told a friend on IP, "I haven't come this far to be derailed by a bloody vegetable!" So... no more jicama for me, at least not until maintenance.
  • Quote: look in the recipe threads for the caulihummus recipe and the mockamole. Both would make great dips for jicama
    Lisa: Thanks for that. I'll look at those recipes. I have jicama in the fridge right now
  • if you make fries and have the IP chili pour the chili over the jimca fies for chili fries (baked fries) YUMMO!
  • raw with a little cinnamon
  • Jicama
    I use jicama in place of apples. Sugarfree baked apples or apple sauce. Baked with pork chops.

We had the Napa Veggies at the Rainforest Cafe and knew we had to find a way to make something similar at home. My kids now say that our recipe is better than the Rainforest Cafe's. There is a lot of room for personal taste with this recipe, add other veggies or take out those you don't like. Our favorite is the Jicama, we could never leave that one out! This recipe makes a ton, but it keeps well. It will still be nice & crispy 4 days later.

1 green pepper, julienned
    1 red pepper, julienned
    1 yellow pepper, julienned
    1 large jicama, julienned
    2 cups carrots, julienned (about 4 carrots) optional
    1/3 cup red onion, chopped
    1/2 cup raisins (I use mix of white & regular) optional
    1 cucumber, sliced
    1 cup red cabbage, julienned (optional)
    2/3 cup vinegar (I use seasoned white rice vinegar)
    1/2 cup sugar (sugar sub)
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1/4 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
    1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)

Combine all the veggies in a large bowl. I use my mandolin to cut everything since there is so much julienning to do. In a small bowl, mix vinegar, sugar, oil, salt & pepper. Pour over veggies. Cover & marinate in the refrigerator. We will eat it right away, but as it sits the veggies soak up the flavors.
  • Is Jicama allowed on Phase 1? Would it be used sparingly like tomatoes, rutabagas, eggplant,etc?
  • Thanks everyone.

I beleieve JenJen44 I have things I need to stay away from also.
  • Forgive me. I was looking at my list this afternoon and saw that jicama is on there!