The NEW Getting out of the 170's thread

You're on Page 5 of 35
Go to
  • JUDDD is a technique of calorie cycling. You can implement it on almost any plan. Basically you have one very low calorie day (almost a fast) followed by a day of big (but measured) eating. The calories can average out to whatever you choose.

For example if you are on a plan that calls for 1500 calories a day, you might eat 500 calories on a down day and then have 2500 on an up day. It allows you to keep your caloric average low and keeps your body from adjusting to your diet by constantly changing the caloric intake from one day to the next. You never go into starvation mode and you lose weight faster. That's the theory, at least.

You can plan for office parties or dinner with friends because the up day calories are pretty high. You just plan to have a down day afterward. The cycle is every other day, but sometimes you can shift your days around to accommodate your social/Holiday calendar.

There are other details such as resveratrol and carnitine supplementation, exact ratios of up-day to down-day calories (induction is 5:1). And that's JUDDD.

My plan calls for a lot less calories, so my down days are about 350 calories (prety much a fast) and my up days are about 1650 for an average of 1000 calories a day.

On Atkins (low-carb) induction you are limited in veggies and fruits because they are high in carbs. You are supposed to eat vegetables but you have to carefully measure them to make sure you stay within your carb limit. Once you are established and steadily losing 2 - 2.5 pounds a week you start to add non-starchy (mostly leafy & cruciferous) vegetables back in more and more until you find your tipping point (where you stall). Certain high carb veggies (tomatoes, carrots, winter squash) are quite limited until you reach your goal. Most fruit is allowed in limited quantities only in maintenance.
  • 177.2 today so moving back down! Got in a workout at the gym and went for a cold, brisk 5 mile walk this afternoon! Things are definitely better today! :-)
  • I keep looking for the "like" button. I wish we could star our favorite posts!
  • Gwendolyn, I'm sorry to hear about your past but so glad you are now able to move forward, YOU I like hugs

jitterfish, congrats on the new BMI category

Danielle not a bad up at all after a cheat. I still need to catch up to you though

shr1nk1ngme I like your plan. Sounds like what I'm doing by accident except I can't get (haven't done) a really high day without it being full of not so good carbs It would be nice to have a like button on here

carebear, way to go

All of you are gonna be leaving me if I don't get my act together in this decade … sad for me but happy for ALL of you. Keep up the great work

My day today was low calorie and high carb, not on plan at all. BUT I have everything all prepared to get back on track tomorrow, so all I have to do is heat and eat Hoping for a better remainder of the week

B ~ banana, green tea
    L ~ low carb tortilla shell, fiesta blend cheese, Pico de Gallo, salsa, steak, onion/green pepper
    S ~ s/f gelatin, 10 Nilla wafers, 1 Graham cracker
    D ~ no sugar added grapefruit
  • shr1nk1ngme do you find yourself hungry on your low calorie days or does it all sort of even out?

love2b I wouldn't worry, I'm going to be in the 170s awhile! After so long losing weight its coming off very slowly now. Just as long as I keep going down or staying the same though, the rate doesn't matter.
  • jitterfish

I'm back to my pre-cheat day weight of 176.8 still hoping to see 175 before Christmas
  • Quote: shr1nk1ngme do you find yourself hungry on your low calorie days or does it all sort of even out?
    I am definitely hungry on the low calorie days. I take my morning supplements with sugar free jell-o (amazing how filling jell-o is!) I also drink a huge glass of psyllium husks in Crystal Light in the morning and that helps keep me full until the afternoon. In the afternoon I have some GG's Scandinavian Crispbread crackers (they are almost 100% fiber so they have almost no carbs/calories) with Laughing Cow Light cheese wedges. I eat tons of celery with a small amount of cream cheese. I have learned to love raw vegetables and I snack on (small amounts of) broccoli florets, lettuce, spinach, and kale. I drink absolute LOADS of herbal, caffeine free, organic tea all day long.

Then for supper I have an egg, another crispbread with a cheese wedge, as much vegetable broth with celery as I can eat, and some nuts for a late night snack. I always buy nuts "in-the-shell" so I don't lose control. Give me a bag of shell-less nuts and I am in trouble.

I don't care what the "experts" say, I have to do what works best for ME. I eat most of my calories in the evening because that it the time I am most likely to cheat. So I save most of my eating for then because it keeps me on plan.

Still at 172.4 after a down-day yesterday.
  • I had a baaaad night last night. I went on a crazy binge and ate so much sugar for no particularly reason. I made myself log it into MFP this morning so I actually had to acknowledge how extreme of a binge it was. Calorically, it wasn't obscene, probably about 2300 calories, but just unnecessary and way too much sugar. Such an unbalanced day. I know I'm PMS-ing, but still.

There's this company I have been following for a while (the founder did his undergrad and PhD in exercise nutrition at my university and the company participated at a seminar I attended in March). It's called Precision Nutrition. They have a coaching program which is fairly pricey (though, they coach you for a full year), but they also sell a system (just a bunch of books and manuals) for a much more reasonable price. It was half price this weekend and I ordered it. The program seems very behaviourally based and focuses on achieving small goals over time to get big results. I'm excited to receive it because you also get access to their forums and workouts. I looove programs. I love having a set plan of things to do/follow. I feel like it keeps me accountable.

I'm studying for my last exam right now so I'm totally burned out. I worked out last night but missed Sunday due to studying and last week was not a good week. I can't wait until I can relax a bit.
  • shr1nk I agree with you mostly. Yes the experts are experts so they know their stuff, but every body is different and if it works for you and you're not experiencing any unhealthy side effects then I say do it. Most of the experts have never had a weight problem themselves, so in that respect WE are the experts!

gym PMS and TOM are so evil. I always gain one or both weeks and its hard to deny the body when those cravings hit (at least they aren't as bad as pregnancy cravings!). Good on you for owning it and MFPing it! Accountability is so important. What exam do you have?

As for me, down a bit more today meaning I just hit my second Xmas goal of reaching the 70s decade (I'm a metric girl). I'm not too sure where to from here, its hard to set real goals knowing Xmas is next week -LOL- But I just joined a challenge that is due to end April 21 so that should help keep me focussed. Plus I guess my next mini goal should be 78kg (172lb) because then its 55kg (121lb) lost.
  • @jitterfish - Ugh, no kidding! TOM sucks. My exam is in advanced food science. I'm studying to be a Registered Dietitian actually.

Congrats on being a down a bit more and meeting your goal! Whenever I'm losing I'm always only down a bit at a time but it adds up eventually!
  • carebear - That is so inspirational to me! I really really need to get back into an exercise routine. :| I'm horrible and struggling with this right now. But a 5mile walk in this weather? Maybe it's not as bad where you are as it is where I am.. If you don't mind me asking; where are you from? I am in Massachusetts and we just had a snow storm and we're getting another today actually O.O I keep trying to talk myself into taking my bigger dog for a walk since he'd be able to handle the cold better than my little dog - but I'm just SO not motivated to be out in the freezing cold. I keep saying this - but maybe tonight I'll take a snowy walk.. it's just so icey out now. :| He needs it though, he's so energetic and needs to get his energy out.

Rennie - You better get your bum in gear and move on w/ me because we both need to support one another, though we can do that no matter what. I'm here for you. How is it going today?

Shr1nk1ngme - I could NOT handle that, I don't think.. but it's a similar idea to what I'm doing (KIND OF) the whole reason we eat clean and then have a cheat day is to trick our body into not knowing how much calorie intake we will have, etc. I'm glad it seems to be working for you. I would prob. not be so happy on my low calorie days. :| I'd maybe even go crazy.

Jitter - You are SO close to your goal, how exciting is that! I can't wait 'til I can say that, too! Just keep on trucking!!!!

I am at 175.2 today.. REALLY. Because I am dying to see the 174.... grrr. It's okay, and totally expected as I'm not doing much exercising.

I'm so bummed because a physical therapy office brought us some delicious cookies and of course I caved and ate one. :| MAN OH MAN. Cookies will always be the death of me! I swear of it.
    Tomorrow we're having a holiday brunch in the office and we're all bringing in delicious meals to eat. I just have to remember NOT to over eat but I am going to have this as my cheat day instead of thursday. It's going to be a hard day for me tomorrow with all the sweets and everything :\
  • Quote: I would prob. not be so happy on my low calorie days. :| I'd maybe even go crazy.
    The only time it's a real problem is if I've finished all my allotted calories too early and then I have to go to bed with a growling stomach; I can't sleep like that.

Oh, and also when I weigh the morning after a down day and there is no weight change. It's like, how can there NOT be a weight change after a 350 calorie day? But sometimes there isn't. Our bodies are weird like that. It can be very discouraging to "starve" all day, telling yourself it will be worth it, only to see no results on the scale in the morning. That happened THIS morning. The temptation then becomes to have a second down day just to "make" the scale go down, out of fear if I have an up day the scale will go back up. But that it dangerous territory: I have no desire to become anorexic on top of everything else. So today has to be an up day no matter what the scale said this morning.
  • Its interesting how the scale can "betray" us sometimes. You're doing great, staying on plan but the scale doesn't budge or even goes up. I tried the no scale thing because I got frustrated, but I like the instant gratification of the scale -LOL- And even weirder how sometimes on a bad day you get on and have lost weight, that idea of the refeed days I guess.

gym that is awesome, I've thought of that as a career change if I ever decided to make the move (currently teach bio at college, so know a bit about nutrition and it is fascinating and so complex).

shr1nk how long have you been doing fast cycling? Do you think you can maintain it to the end of your weight loss journey?

savemykisses yes it is so close, but soooo far! And that is my modest goal, I'll still technically be overweight at goal but when I set it it seemed even getting in to ONEderland would be impossible. So once I reach that goal I'll probably set it lower. But I am going to talk to my Dr about it, I saw a nutritionist last year who said 160lb should be my goal and while still that would be techincally overweight, it takes in to account my actual body (muscle mass and excess skin). But that was a year ago, so once I hit my goal I'll get an expert to advise me again. And remember, a few cookies won't make all the weight come back on, you have to live in moderation and say yes sometimes and try not to feel too guilty.
  • shr1nk1ngme, I noticed that about gelatin also, but it doesn't last long I looked up your crispbread, I will have to order them online in order to try them. I love your plan, keep doing what you're doing shr1nk1ngme, when I have low calories days (not on purpose) I have wondered why the scale doesn't go down. Very true ---> The temptation then becomes to have a second down day just to "make" the scale go down, out of fear if I have an up day the scale will go back up.

gymrat, MFP will definitely put things in perspective for ya Love your field of study.

jitterfish, I agree we are the experts when it comes to what works for us and it definitely takes a ton of piecing together Congratulations on reaching your second Christmas goal. I've made one of my goals also that was to get into the 170's the second is to get to 175-174 before Christmas, not sure that will happen. Good for you on joining the April Challenge. on your weight loss so far Telling myself this would have made me go get that cake and ice cream ---> And remember, a few cookies won't make all the weight come back on, you have to live in moderation and say yes sometimes and try not to feel too guilty. I did consider this and (I would have only had a slice tonight but still) not a good thing for me to have in my head, lol

Thanks Danielle , I'm trying to catch you … but you are just moving through the decade too fast for me I did well today and then the kids had snack. I ate 29 cheese Nips, not on my menu today of course but the scale said 178.8 when I got home before dinner so hopefully I won't have a gain from my unplanned snack I got all of my water in today and 4 cups of tea, pu'erh and green. I'll bet if you go for your walk you would see 173-174. I wanted to go the gym this evening but when I get in late after highway driving with the crazies in the dark I don't want to go back out (the boys like to go with me). I'm sorry about the cookies you had to face I had this burning desire for Food Lion bday cake and vanilla ice cream and I almost stopped to get it. I had long conversation in my head about why I shouldn't take the detour to go buy something that has absolutely no nutritional value to me at all. I think I am even gonna skip my cheat day this Saturday so that I can enjoy all of the goodies at my cousins on Christmas eve. Wow I turned this into a book. Are you sure you wanna be texting buddies with me, lol

I'm glad you all are here, it's nice to be in this decade with each of you
  • Quote: I looked up your crispbread, I will have to order them online in order to try them.
    They are not very tasty (imagine a grape-nuts flavored cracker) and they are very dry. But they are just about 100% fiber, very low calorie/carb, and they make a great vehicle for a Laughing Cow light cheese wedge, hummus, a little PB2 (low-cal peanut butter), or a spoonful of Walden Farms strawberry spread. I find they keep me "regular" and are filling at the same time.

Quote: shr1nk how long have you been doing fast cycling? Do you think you can maintain it to the end of your weight loss journey
    I have done it before, when I lost 65 pounds in 2010. It was very effective; I did it for about six months last time. I would say it is a great temporary strategy but I would not recommend it for maintenance. This time, it has been only since Nov 20th that I have been on the weight control wagon. I started fast-cycling six days ago and already I am seeing HUGE losses compared to my third week stall on regular Atkins.

---------

171.0 this morning. I may be leaving this thread soon!