How often do you get sick?

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • I work in a medical clinic so I am sick several times a year. My worse time is in April and May. I am usually sick for a couple of weeks back to back.
  • I'm almost never sick but have been hit hard twice in the last month. First ith norovirus and now with a nasty cold. Boo!

For me it isn't supplement based or nutritionally based, I am very vigilant on both counts and have eaten and supplemented the same during the years I was healthy as a horse and times like now. Stress makes me vulnerable - right now busyness and a lack of sleep are th primary culprits, along with especially virulent strains.
  • I have been sick once in the last couple of years. I think it was from opening up our old moldy bathroom walls though. DBF gets sick frequently, I think his is stress related.
  • Maybe mine is stress related too....Hm. I'm still feeling crummy.
  • Quote: I get a tummy bug about once a year and it's usually a doozy. (Remember the swine flu a couple years ago? Thought I was gonna DIE.)
    Oh God, I seriously want to get my memory wiped Eternal Sunshine style so I can forget having the swine flu - I got it at the same time I had dry socket in all five of my wisdom teeth extraction points and thought I was going to DIE. I'm not a pansy about pain and suffering at all and I was literally begging the ER staff in tears to give me something to knock me out! WORST FLU EVER.

I get sick several times a year, but I work as a nanny (kids bringing home germs from school!) and as a doula (germy hospitals!) so I don't feel like I get sick an excessive amount, given the circumstances.
  • Quote: Oh God, I seriously want to get my memory wiped Eternal Sunshine style so I can forget having the swine flu - I got it at the same time I had dry socket in all five of my wisdom teeth extraction points and thought I was going to DIE. I'm not a pansy about pain and suffering at all and I was literally begging the ER staff in tears to give me something to knock me out! WORST FLU EVER.

I get sick several times a year, but I work as a nanny (kids bringing home germs from school!) and as a doula (germy hospitals!) so I don't feel like I get sick an excessive amount, given the circumstances.
    Did you at least lose some serious poundage for the trouble?
  • All the time!
    All the time - but fit people get sick too!

It's just that I feel so sad and depressed when I'm sick
  • I've always been relatively healthy, but I noticed right before I started changing my lifestyle that i was getting tonsillitis frequently and gum infections too. I usually only get one real cold a year. Kidney stones is what gets me. Two hospitalizations in two years.
  • Quote: Did you at least lose some serious poundage for the trouble?
    Probably - I was so dehydrated from severe nausea that I got IV fluids at the hospital, but this was a few years ago when I wasn't actively losing weight and wasn't weighing. If I DID lose anything, I definitely gained it back when I started eating normally again!
  • Rarely.

After thinking about it, I call in an average of 2 days a year.
  • For me it several time to be went to hospital. I think it very sad when I go there.
  • I never got sick very much until I lived in my first apartment in Florida. It was an older complex and water heaters kept exploding and flooding apartments. Soooo, I got A TON of mold. I had to fight with the office to basically replace my dry wall but that took months until I threatened to get a lawyer and showed her a video tape of every single place I had mold. Behind my washer wasn't even white anymore. I got a cold after all this flooding started and it did not go away for six months until they replaced the dry wall.

I have been sickly ever since. I have asthma now. Between November and March every single year I get bronchitis AT LEAST 4 times, this year it was 6. I'm constantly on antibiotics during the winter and frequently need more than one dose to get rid of it.

On the bright side I have never once in my life gotten any flu. I have shared drinks with someone who had the flu and still not gotten it. I think the last time I had a stomach bug was about 7 years ago. The last time I got an intestional bug was 12 years ago. And in both of those cases my entire family got them from my brother who was in daycare and I was the last person to get it by several days.