IP Coaching

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • My sister-in-law introduced me to IP in December and I have used alternatives since day one. My only coach has been this forum and I can't say enough about the support I get from it.

I am a little curious about some posts I saw earlier on this thread that disappeared? I didn't realize that posts were cleansed from these boards??
  • Quote: So, Lisa, scorbett, anyone. I have been thinking about this for a few days and I guess I just want some advice. Do people take breaks from their clinics? I'd like to put this relationship on hold and come back when I need to phase off. Does this happen? I'm horrified about starting the next phases on my own.....
    This is Jen, but I thought I'd chime in....................

I haven't gone to my clinic for the past 3 months - been using alternatives, finishing up my IP products and I get all the support I need here on 3FC. My coach and his wife (she pops in sometimes) are super nice people but he doesn't have any medical background although their office is in a chiropractors office. Their coaching comes from their experience having lost a lot of weight on IP themselves. I recieve better information here. I just felt our meetings were just a quick WI, a little small talk and out the door with IP products. I knew I didn't need the accountability of WI's. I think if I LOVED all the IP products, I wouldn't have gone to alternatives and I probably would still be at the clinic. The money wasn't the primary issue for me going to alternatives, it was more my picky tastebuds and wanting more non-restricted that I liked the flavor of.

My husband had gone a few times during that timeframe because he needed some advice on P3 and P4.

I understand totally where Lisa comes from when she wants that relationship with her coach when she enters P4. She (and I concur) has also expressed concern with the challenge that maintenance will pose. We have both lost significant weight in the past to then have all the weight return overtime. I might have chose to do the same if I felt my coach would be really strong in that regard. I guess I decided that I will have just as much if not more support in P4 here on this site and the Maintenance Thread as I would be able to get from my coach.

My coach and his clinic are very mellow. They didn't tell people that if they had 3 cheats, they'd be kicked out, etc like some offices. Not overly strict!
    I don't know for a fact, but I presume that if I walked in their office down the road having reached goal that 1. they'd be pleasantly surprised at my WL because I feel they probably believe that I've fallen of the wagon (not OP) and 2. that they'd be happy for me and be willing to work with me on P4 as long as I did do some buying of their IP products. Of course, I'd have no problem doing this understanding that they need to eat and pay their bills like the rest of us (that IP is a business for them).

I think the difference for me and this WL is that it truly is the first time I'm realizing and accepting that I won't be able to go back to my old eating habits or I will gain the weight back. This really is a first for me!
    I also know that I will give P4 a good try, but somewhere in there I will probably need to tweak things a little to make maintenance fit for me. My mind is using this WL time to really mull different ideas around and to start thinking long term about how I need to change my life and habits in order to be successful. For example, gone are the days that I will have certain foods in my house like ice cream. I may buy it for a birthday party but the left overs will either go home with someone else or I will give them to a neighbor that has kids (I hate throwing things out), but the ice cream will not be in my freezer. My husband loves pizza and we use to get Papa Murphys (take and bake pizza place) pizza twice a week. Now, we never have pizza in the house. If he's craving pizza, he goes to Costco deli and has a slice there! I know myself and when I do get off plan and start eating the wrong way the very strong tendency I have is to avoid getting on the scale (I've gone months without stepping on the scale because I didn't want to know). I figure that when I get to maintenance I will probably have a +/- 2-3 lb weight range that I stay in. If I go up +4 lbs I expect myself to go to P1 immediately until I'm back to the acceptable weight range. So, another fail-safe plan I have come up with for myself is that I've talked to my husband about one set day a week - him watching me weigh myself and see where my weight is. This will not allow me to avoid the scale (and potentially keep eating bad, gaining weight) and address the eating off plan earlier and before it has a chance to get out of control.

I do know that this site is going to be HUGE in my ability to keep this weight off and I'm so grateful for that. I will probably drive the people that hang out on the Maintenance Thread crazy because I will live there night and day!

I know this was long-winded, sorry. Hopefully it gave you some insight and some things to think about for yourself and your WL journey!

~Jen
  • Quote: So, Lisa, scorbett, anyone. I have been thinking about this for a few days and I guess I just want some advice. Do people take breaks from their clinics? I'd like to put this relationship on hold and come back when I need to phase off. Does this happen? I'm horrified about starting the next phases on my own.....
    A lot depends on your clinic.

Mine would not continue to see me unless I was buying IP products in Phase 1, and would not "take me back" just to phase off. So I did it all on my own from week 10 till now, through phasing off and now a full month into maintenance. There are some here whose coaches were willing to continue weighing them in even though they were using mostly alternative products, mine just wasn't one of those.
  • This is a good thread. Although I want to stay with my Dr/coach now, I am considering leaving due to cost. I hadn't considered the issue of support during phasing out, however. I'll have to give that more thought, although I'm not even sure what support is given during that time and for how long.

For those who have left their coach AND it wasn't due to their poor coaching (e.g. you left because of $$ or food selection or something else), how did you approach the conversation or what did you say? I'm already dreading bringing it up (even though I'm not planning to do it for several months) and I worry I'll end up trapping myself because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.
  • Quote: This is a good thread. Although I want to stay with my Dr/coach now, I am considering leaving due to cost. I hadn't considered the issue of support during phasing out, however. I'll have to give that more thought, although I'm not even sure what support is given during that time and for how long.

For those who have left their coach AND it wasn't due to their poor coaching (e.g. you left because of $$ or food selection or something else), how did you approach the conversation or what did you say? I'm already dreading bringing it up (even though I'm not planning to do it for several months) and I worry I'll end up trapping myself because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.
    I was also a little nervous about the break-up conversation and was worried my coach's feelings might be hurt. But I kept reminding myself that this was my weight loss and I needed to do what was best for me.

When I ended it, I focused on the cost of IP vs alternative products....it was the easiest and least stressful approach for me to take. Kept telling my coach that he was great, his staff was great, had been a great help, couldn't have gotten this far without him, etc., but.....I couldn't afford it anymore. Basically, "it not you, it's me"....

He seemed a bit sad, but understanding of the situation.
  • Wow, thanks for all of the insight! You know, that's what I really love about this forum. There is a HUGE wealth of knowledge from others, be it those that are in your shoes, have been or are thinking about it. It's really been a help for me. The decision I'm leaning towards is staying the course as is right now. I think it may be too cocky of me to think I can go rogue at this stage of the game. I'm still a noob at this having started on February 25. I've hit the stages during this diet of:

WHAT AM I THINKING, YOU NEED TO EAT!(Week 1)
    Oh, hey I got this, I'm a pro! (Week 3)
    OMG, if I have to look at another packet, I'm going to scream!(Week 5)
    I found the perfect recipe that I can eat EVERY DAY and never get sick of it! (Week 6)
    I'm sick of it. (Week 6)

It's funny the ups and downs you go through, but I'm enjoying my journey. I really, really from the bottom of my heart appreciate the words and experience you all have shared. Thank You!
  • Quote:
    WHAT AM I THINKING, YOU NEED TO EAT!(Week 1)
    Oh, hey I got this, I'm a pro! (Week 3)
    OMG, if I have to look at another packet, I'm going to scream!(Week 5)
    I found the perfect recipe that I can eat EVERY DAY and never get sick of it! (Week 6)
    I'm sick of it. (Week 6)
    Hilarious and so true!
  • Quote: A lot depends on your clinic.

Mine would not continue to see me unless I was buying IP products in Phase 1, and would not "take me back" just to phase off. So I did it all on my own from week 10 till now, through phasing off and now a full month into maintenance. There are some here whose coaches were willing to continue weighing them in even though they were using mostly alternative products, mine just wasn't one of those.
    I came clean with my coach before my vacay. She told me she couldn't see me and I expected that. BUT I have been back 2x and she has not mentioned it again. Part of me wants to think since I have been doing so well, she wants to see me finish. Before I left on vacay, she said, when you come back we are going to finish this. Meaning the loss, not be getting out.

Part of me is starting to like my coach and I want to finish with her, plus she's very athletic and I am HOPING she can help me to incorporate exercise into my plan. I am getting bored.

Watch this space, WI is Thursday.
  • Still on the fence
    I have been trying alternatives, but with no luck as every one I have tried has brought back stomach issues (cramping, diarrhea). I have never felt this good in over 20 years (since removing gall bladder). For this reason, I stick with the IP products.

I have been very disappointed with my coach. Because of PCOS and hormonal issues, I chose this particular clinic because there was a doctor and a nurse. They also charge 5 bucks more a box because of this.

Except for weight in and a quick mesure, there is nothing else. When I don't lose weight, I am always asked if I cheated. I have not cheated since February 7th.

I have been asked in the last 3-4 weeks if I still wanted to be weighed because it shows I am losing weight, so why weigh. I must explain why I want to be weight.

I asked monday about the new sheet and was told they knew nothing yet.

My main reason for staying is for maintenance. I so want this to be successful right to the end, I fear maintenance for stomach issues and for weight gain. I believe that this is where I will need the most support.

I am grateful every day for this site as this is where I gain my knowledge and I regain my strength and willpower when I want to deviate. You have all saved me many times from cheating when my inner fat chick voice talks louder than my inner skinny chick voice ( thanks amberjules).

Hanging strong because of your support. Still not sure what to do about my clinic.
  • Quote: A lot depends on your clinic.

This is the exact same way my coach/clinic was. As soon as they found out I wasn't buying my product from them anymore, they kicked me to the curb. I've been doing a great job here with my wonderful 3FC coaches..all you guys ROCK!!
  • Good feedback on how to handle this. I am getting ready to add alternatives and wasn't sure how to approach subject with coach. I will buy a few IP products in the coming weeks but it won't be the entire week of food. I don't think they will notice for at least a couple of weeks because I typically have leftover packets and I will let them know I still have that. I don't think I will mention anything and if asked, I have no problem saying I introduced a few similar type products because of the cost. It is the truth. I would prefer that they not kick me out, but if that is the result, I can handle it now. This is my journey and experience.

And, the truth is I am getting tired of most IP packets. I am down to using a few over and over.
  • Quote: Good feedback on how to handle this. I am getting ready to add alternatives and wasn't sure how to approach subject with coach. I will buy a few IP products in the coming weeks but it won't be the entire week of food. I don't think they will notice for at least a couple of weeks because I typically have leftover packets and I will let them know I still have that. I don't think I will mention anything and if asked, I have no problem saying I introduced a few similar type products because of the cost. It is the truth. I would prefer that they not kick me out, but if that is the result, I can handle it now. This is my journey and experience.

And, the truth is I am getting tired of most IP packets. I am down to using a few over and over.
    Would your coach really "kick you out?". I see others on here talk about ordering from nashua and using EAS and they still talk about their coaches as if they are still at IP. If you quit using IP 100% if the time are you not worth their time anymore?

Where I live the initial consult was 400 dollars. They told me about 120 of that was food and vitamins. That seems like it would pay for many weigh ins even if you were not buying as many products.
  • Quote: Would your coach really "kick you out?". I see others on here talk about ordering from nashua and using EAS and they still talk about their coaches as if they are still at IP. If you quit using IP 100% if the time are you not worth their time anymore?

Where I live the initial consult was 400 dollars. They told me about 120 of that was food and vitamins. That seems like it would pay for many weigh ins even if you were not buying as many products.
    From a business standpoint, they don't HAVE to keep seeing you if you are not using the IP products. They aren't trained on the composition of any product except IP so if you run into stalls or don't tolerate a product they won't know how to deal with it. And if you aren't buying products every week, the clinic isn't making money to pay overhead and personnel. Some coaches are OK with that and some are not. Also, your initial fee doesn't necessarily pay "in advance" for your weigh ins. It's pretty much an administrative fee for setup, initial food and vitamins, and compensation for the time spent getting you set up. I've even seen some people here report that they pay for their weekly weigh ins separately.
  • Quote: Would your coach really "kick you out?". I see others on here talk about ordering from nashua and using EAS and they still talk about their coaches as if they are still at IP. If you quit using IP 100% if the time are you not worth their time anymore?

Bottom line is it's a business. They make their money, get their paychecks from clients buying their food. If a coach is willing to stay with you while using IP and alternatives, that's a bonus in my book.

Oops scratch that! I read back on some of the other responses about people being kicked to the curb when they started buying other products than IP. Wow is all I can say