Juicing! lemons for oranges?

• So I just got my new juicer today! And whipped up a batch of Mean Green The only problem it was sooo lemony! My stomach was super unhappy with the acidic level. (but i felt better after i took an anti-acid) Do you think switching out a lemon for an orange would be better?

Or do you guys have really tasty veggie/fruit juice recipes you love? That are a little less acidic but give me the dark green good stuff?
  • Did you put the entire lemon, skin included? I peronally wouldnt. Also, is there apple in the juice you made? I find apple balances out lemon.

Either way, I'd play around with mixes. I actually don't juice but sometimes, I'll do green smoothies.
  • I peeled the lemon . It was Kale, celery, cucumber, lemon, apples and ginger root. Despite the apples it just tasted lemony. Maybe I'm super sensitive to lemons :|
  • Quote: So I just got my new juicer today! And whipped up a batch of Mean Green The only problem it was sooo lemony! My stomach was super unhappy with the acidic level. (but i felt better after i took an anti-acid) Do you think switching out a lemon for an orange would be better?

Or do you guys have really tasty veggie/fruit juice recipes you love? That are a little less acidic but give me the dark green good stuff?
    What brand of juicer did you get ?
  • I made this juice the other day (minus the ginger, i didn't have any) and it was way too lemony for me (and I LOVE lemon) I think next time I might use a meyer lemon, since its kind of half lemon half orange. Maybe it will take the edge off that lemon bite. I even added an extra apple last time and the lemon was still over powering. (I have the jack lalanne harmony power juicer)

I too am looking for some really tasty juices to try! The mean green is the only one I have tried so far (other than just pure apple juice!) that actually tastes pretty good.
  • You could also use half a lemon or 1/4. I don't think I've ever put a whole lemon into any of my green smoothies.
  • I did some research and picked up the Breville BJE200XL Compact Juice Fountain 700-Watt Juice Extractor, before I realized it was what Joe Cross used in his documentary. I wanted to drink 32 ounces so i doubled the recipe, hence a whole lemon! Yikes!

This morning I went back to the regular recipe, but dropped in another apple, a pear, and two carrots. I'm still adjusting to the veg taste and texture. Makes me a little gaggy :O But I keep thinking positive things when I drink it.

@Silverfire- That meyer lemon sounds promising I'll have to keep a lookout for it at my local farmers market.

Thanks Nelie! I'll keep making smaller lemon bits.
  • Quote: I did some research and picked up the Breville BJE200XL Compact Juice Fountain 700-Watt Juice Extractor, before I realized it was what Joe Cross used in his documentary. I wanted to drink 32 ounces so i doubled the recipe, hence a whole lemon! Yikes!

This morning I went back to the regular recipe, but dropped in another apple, a pear, and two carrots. I'm still adjusting to the veg taste and texture. Makes me a little gaggy :O But I keep thinking positive things when I drink it.

@Silverfire- That meyer lemon sounds promising I'll have to keep a lookout for it at my local farmers market.

Thanks Nelie! I'll keep making smaller lemon bits.
    Thanks for the juicer info.
  • I've been juicing for the last 2 1/2 months and I would say that was way too much lemon! I usually put 1/4, as stated above. Or you could try lime, too. I made one juice with a whole lime though and it was also too acidic. Good luck!
  • Don't drop the lemon! :-)

Just add less. I felt the same way at first. After a while, your stomach starts to adjust to the acidity. Don't try beet right away! That was rough for me.

The lemon is essential in detoxification, but I only use half, I juice it first so that it mixes better with the rest of the juices, and I tend to buy smaller lemons, and peel it (never ever eat any non-organic fruit un-peeled).

It's also not recommended that you juice greens unless they are organic. Yikes.