Water.. Is there such a thing as TOO much?

• I do not even monitor my water intake... Even when I was on diet hiatus I still drank over a gallon a day. (I know this because I fill a gallon jug up with well water) I have seen several posts on here saying that maybe they were drinking too much water.. I don't get it, what problems would that cause? Just curious... Thanks!
  • In the most extreme case, yes, there is such a thing as too much water. I remember there was news about someone who died from drinking a lot (really a lot!) of water and it flushed out the salt and minerals from her body or something like that but that's drinking a really insane amount of water though...there's a list of people who died from drinking too much water in the wiki page for water intoxication. Too much of anything is bad in general.

I think most of those worrying about drinking too much water here are just afraid of water weight causing a higher number on the scale.
  • I went to California State University, Chico when one of the fraternities killed a pledge by forcing him to drink way too much water.http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=5012154

I've read that the kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day. It's really more about the speed in which you are drinking it. You don't want to drink a gallon in 30 minutes.

I drink a gallon of water a day and that is actually what is recommended for my body weight and altitude.

So drink on,friend... water, that is.
  • TY both for the replies.. I am just now getting home from a mini vacation so just now replying. I will keep on keeping on.. Thanks again gals!!