IP Daily Chat Tuesday May 15, 2012

You're on Page 7 of 10
Go to
  • So before I get to reading I wanted to share my WI with ya'll. I started on alternatives last week and my coach flat out told me that I will not lose as much using alternatives, but I will still lose. My first WI I lost 7, second, 2, third 3.4 and today...5!!! Bye Bye 5 pounds of fat!! I am so happy! I was expecting 1 or 2 at the most!! I hope this keeps up so I can hit onederland by my anniversary!!

I was so tempted to WI this morning, in the buff so that it would be even more, but I didn't. I wore the same clothes I have been for the first 3, even shoes! I also did it at my normal 4:00 time!!

Lets hope for another successful week!!
  • Z
    Quote: I passed my Navy weigh-in...by 9 pounds
    I am no longer fat (according to the Navy...) and have decided to start phasing off. This has been a horribly stressful week and I wanted to cheat sooo bad. I am looking forward to slowly introducing carbs back into my diet and living better so I dont have to go through this again Thank you all for your support!
    Teden

Awesome job. Congratulations! You just had a baby right? You look great in your photo.
  • Quote: OK , so I did my walk of penance , and stretched it out longer than normal, ended up with 2.22 miles in 26 minutes. And I'm going to mow the lawn tonight.

Anyways, what I found out (and why I think we all are losing weight at the 2lb/week or better) is this: There are 4 calories in 1 gram of carbohydrate, so roughly 875 grams of carbs in one actual pound of weight. If we USED to have an average of 250 grams of carbs/day (Study stated roughly 50% of calories came from carbs each day, so 1000 calories and that's 250 carbs) Now we have under 50g of carbs/day. So each and every day our body has 200 less carbs than what it considered "normal" and there are 7 days in a week, so 1400 less carbohydrates are consumed on this diet than on a "normal american" diet (fast food etc.). 1400grams of carbs is 1.6 pounds, so in theory, we lose 1.6 pounds of carbs each week, and whatever amount of fat since we eat less fat (but it's not regulated from what I see).

If anyone wants to do the math for fat, fat has 9 calories per 1 gram of fat, so it's about 389 grams of fat / pound.

OK, nerding out is completed...for now.
    Love the math! ....From a fellow geek.. way to go on the walk!
  • Quote: I've read all sorts of variations on how everyone plans their meals, but one thing I still don't understand is the 'big' meal with the 8 oz of protein. Do I have to eat that all at once? Could I split it between lunch and dinner? Or just have a smaller snack and then the rest at dinner?
    would that completely mess up ketosis?

thanks for all the posts; this site has been tremendously helpful!
    A lot of folks split up their protein between their lunch & dinner. Same with the veggies. I actually split my veggies across all my meals, but whoof down the meat at dinner! The only way to mess up ketosis is to carb out! Just keep track of your food, amounts, water etc in your food journal. Don't forget to note your 'extras' like WF, Splenda, etc.

Quote: I passed my Navy weigh-in...by 9 pounds
    I am no longer fat (according to the Navy...) and have decided to start phasing off. This has been a horribly stressful week and I wanted to cheat sooo bad. I am looking forward to slowly introducing carbs back into my diet and living better so I dont have to go through this again Thank you all for your support!
    Congratulations!!! I know it was quite a nail biter for you...must feel great to have all that pressure off. Good for you, stayed strong...enjoy your phase off!
  • Quote: So before I get to reading I wanted to share my WI with ya'll. I started on alternatives last week and my coach flat out told me that I will not lose as much using alternatives, but I will still lose. My first WI I lost 7, second, 2, third 3.4 and today...5!!! Bye Bye 5 pounds of fat!! I am so happy! I was expecting 1 or 2 at the most!! I hope this keeps up so I can hit onederland by my anniversary!!

I was so tempted to WI this morning, in the buff so that it would be even more, but I didn't. I wore the same clothes I have been for the first 3, even shoes! I also did it at my normal 4:00 time!!

Lets hope for another successful week!!
    Naked WI would be pretty funny and scary. You got me laughing.
  • Quote: I passed my Navy weigh-in...by 9 pounds
    Ohmygosh congratulations!! I am sure you will do fantastically and your little tyke will appreciate a mom who is healthy and fit for sure
  • Quote: OK , so I did my walk of penance , and stretched it out longer than normal, ended up with 2.22 miles in 26 minutes. And I'm going to mow the lawn tonight.

Anyways, what I found out (and why I think we all are losing weight at the 2lb/week or better) is this: There are 4 calories in 1 gram of carbohydrate, so roughly 875 grams of carbs in one actual pound of weight. If we USED to have an average of 250 grams of carbs/day (Study stated roughly 50% of calories came from carbs each day, so 1000 calories and that's 250 carbs) Now we have under 50g of carbs/day. So each and every day our body has 200 less carbs than what it considered "normal" and there are 7 days in a week, so 1400 less carbohydrates are consumed on this diet than on a "normal american" diet (fast food etc.). 1400grams of carbs is 1.6 pounds, so in theory, we lose 1.6 pounds of carbs each week, and whatever amount of fat since we eat less fat (but it's not regulated from what I see).

If anyone wants to do the math for fat, fat has 9 calories per 1 gram of fat, so it's about 389 grams of fat / pound.

OK, nerding out is completed...for now.
    I think it is way more complicated than a calorie equation. I have had weeks of 100% phase 1 coupled eith up to 10 hours of high intensity exercise and have still not lost. Too many hormones are influencing us!
  • Quote: I passed my Navy weigh-in...by 9 pounds
    yaaaaaay! good luck to you
  • Quote: Love the math! ....From a fellow geek.. way to go on the walk!

Quote: Side note:

Check out http://www.ideallyyou.ca/

If you sign up, you can access a swack of receipes. Sorry, not sure if it's usable for US residents.
    I can confirm, the USA folks can sign up
  • Quote: I think it is way more complicated than a calorie equation. I have had weeks of 100% phase 1 coupled eith up to 10 hours of high intensity exercise and have still not lost. Too many hormones are influencing us!
    I"m sure it IS more complicated than that, I just found it interesting that we have anywhere from 1000-1500 less grams of carbs in our system than our "non IP" brethren do. In all reality, it is possible our bodies used those carbs for basic energy and etc. instead of tapping into the fat, which was why we had fat stores. It wouldn't be until there was a deficit of carbohydrates that the body would need the fat instead, and I agree hormones run wild. I estimate my walk and mowing of the lawn today will burn roughly 20 grams of fat and 20 grams of carbohydrates, obviously no where near a pound, but it's still a good feeling
  • Yes. It is an interesting thought. I keep my carbs very low, even in maintenance. I never have endurance issues at the gym, so I guess my body is well adapted at burning ketones or fat. Way better than when it was burning carbs (or glycogen).
    This has gotten me down to about 16% bodyfat. I can't seem to get lower, and am pretty muscular now.
  • Thank goodness for kalechips! I am starving, and waiting to take my son for a walk soon (too hot to go before 5:30). Just had my snack and want MORE...getting some water and waiting for them to bake up. Pesky TOM...hungries go away!
  • Greetings everyone!

I've been quiet the last few days, but have been reading all posts.

Welcome to all the newbies, congrats on all of the WI's and NSV's! IP Rocks!

I wore a dress to work today for the first time this year and got soooo many compliments - even my students noticed. I also brought munchkins in for a celebration for a portfolio project. One of my kiddos said to the the teaching assistant, 'Why did she bring in donuts?" TA: "To celebrate." Student: "Is she celebrating all the weight she lost? Because it doesn't make sense that she'd buy donuts for that." LOL so funny!

I WI tomorrow - first one in two weeks (jury duty made me miss last one). Anyway, I've don't know if I'll see a loss. Depending on the day, and time of day, on my home scale I'm fluctuating between where I was at last weigh in and 157 - still 100% OP. I'm going to tell my coach that I want to start to phase off for the summer according to Dr. George Blackburn's 'Set Point' theory article. I'm preparing myself for her to argue with me, (I'm only 80% to the goal she wanted, but 90% to my original goal).

Teden: Congrats on making the weigh in! Please keep us posted about what's happening with you and your deployment. I truly care.

USMCVET: What part of VT are you in? Also, you are my IP hero!

Cassie: Hope you figure out P3..((hugs))... Hope you can advise me when I get there.
  • Quote: good morning everyone...went to my sons baseball banquet last night ..very tempting it was a potluck so tons of yummy food ..so i ate dinner before i went and brought water to sip on and totally stayed strong..also it was really cool cause people are starting to notice my weight lose makes me feel good.
    Good for you. I always like reading about each victory over temptation. It does make it easier for the rest of us to be strong.
  • Wowzers, I'd be thrilled if I could just get my BMI down to a 20... I'd never dream of being able to go lower, not huge on working out intensely, I'm good with walking and riding bike, maybe jogging some day, but that'll be later