what are your biggest frustrations about trying to lose weight?

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Quote: I see your point but I CAN put on a couple of pounds or three VERY quickly, and yet losing them takes a while. That part does get discouraging. I feel like I'm a slave to my diet and exercise program, and it frustrates me when I can't go out with a friend because I need to do my exercise that night, or when I do go out but can't really eat anything on the menu.

But I will just keep plugging away. My health is worth it.
    I think it's everyone's biggest frustration, you get all excited about losing weight and then a week or 2 goes by and you only lose maybe 1or2lbs. Don't think of it as a diet, it's a lifestyle change. If you want to have a piece of cake or ice cream do it...but don't eat the whole thing. If you don't deny yourself a little bit you are less likely to binge on it when you really want it. Don't deny yourself time out with your friends either, or if you really want to ask them to come along with you to the gym and then go out, that way you get in your workout and get to go out. Remember you need to make your food choices work for you, not you for them.
  • [QUOTE=HikingChloe;4080181 so my advice might seem a little flippant and annoying. [/QUOTE]

Not at all, it's very good advice.
  • Quote: Plateaus. And the plateaus get worse when you 20-somethings get to the 40-somethings forum like me.
    I agree! I never remember hitting them when I was in my early 20's. I hit 4 since June. It is almost enough to quit, but I don't.
  • Quote: What is frustrating to me is that it is supposed to be so simple- when you break it down, it's supposed to be a calories in vs. calories out thing...but it's so hard to achieve weight loss!
    That's the thing though. It's NOT just about calories. It's about protein, fats, fiber, carbs.

I think THAT is the most frustrating for me. Since I have to consider all of this, I HAVE to be conscious of what I stick in my mouth. I don't like paying attention to that. I just want to eat! lmao
  • Myself! The only thing I can blame or get frustrated at for any stall or problems with my weight loss is me. I've just had a 3 week stall where I remained at 170 lbs and stopped exercising. No real reason I stopped, I just felt lazy and couldn't be bothered to fit it into my day. I've finally overcome this stall, and I'm ready to kick myself in the behind, get back to exercising and see the weight come off me again.
  • I can't really complain about slow weight loss because it's given me time to change my habits in the process and deal with my emotional issues surrounding weight loss.

I do think the hardest part for me, though, is the chance that's there. Slow weight loss is one thing but not knowing exactly when I'll hit goal/what size I'm going to be there/how I'll feel at goal/what amount of food I'll need to eat when I get there etc. It's frustrating because I'm someone who likes to plan ahead and I just can't... I can't buy clothes ahead of time, I can't buy bras, I just have to wait and sometimes the waiting while not knowing drives me a bit nuts.
  • The hardest part for me is that I can be pretty impatient sometimes. I’ve found a plan that I love and I’m happy that it’s going to be a permanent part of my life, and frankly I know it’s good for me to lose about 1-2 pounds a week so that I have time to wrap my head around all these changes. But sometimes I just want to see what I’ll look like when I get to my goal.
  • Its good to see I'm not the only one that feels this way
  • Hmm, I guess I'm having a hard time seeing myself doing this for the rest of my life. I mean, I ate whatever I wanted when I weighed in the 190s. Now I eat (healthy foods) for fullness and I exercise daily, so I'm losing weight slowly, but I haven't had a dessert for a long while. I did have a chip binge a while ago, which made me realize that I cannot have junk food in sight. I'm trying to figure out portions and such. I've discovered that I will eat for fullness, but I will still have an appetite, and will eat more. :/ As a student, I also snack a lot, because I hate feeling hungry when I study. I know I could probably lose weight faster by eating less, but it's not worth it. I mean, I'm losing weight slowly, but that's not a problem as long as I am LOSING weight.
  • That's there's so many high calorie yummy food. I'd want to eat them all and it's... damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for me.
  • I am a daily weigher, and I hate how my weight from day to day seems to be totally unrelated to anything I actually did in the previous few days. I mean, I know in the long term it is obviously working, but it can get very frustrating. I guess I shouldn't weigh daily.
  • I hate how I get discouraged so easily. I'm generally a pretty positive person but weight loss just seems to be my kryptonite. It's SO much easier to stay on plan when I have a positive attitude about it all, but one little thing goes wrong and it's like I'll NEVER lose the weight and I'm just going to be fat forever so why not go nuts and eat everything in sight.

I also hate how easily embarrassed I get because of my weight. Intellectually I know that people aren't paying nearly that much attention to me, but all I can think about is how they must all be judging me and thinking how fat I am and shouldn't be wearing that and shouldn't be eating that and on and on and on... so much that I've stopped going places very often, unless I absolutely have to, and I try to be with a friend/dh because that helps. It's ridiculous and I wish I'd just get over it already.
  • I know how you feel, Rosa. When I was heavier, I felt like people were always watching me. It wasn't even as much about the weight as it was about feeling uncomfortable with myself. Now that I've lost some weight, that feeling is less there. I feel like I blend in more. It's all about how you feel about yourself. As a friend of mine has said, how you feel about yourself never bears much on how other see you. She pointed out how she feels really cute one day, and no one pays attention, and then she can feel terrible another day, and she gets compliments. So it's just to your advantage to be as comfortable with yourself as you can. It surely is an ever-present battle. Congrats are your amazing weight loss so far!
  • I am sooooo frustrated by being hungry ALL the time! Not sure what this is about....I eat (veggies/fresh fruit) and drink (water, mostly) almost CONSTANTLY, but during the day, I am hungry almost every moment....AND my stomach growls!!
  • There are 2 things that frustrate me most about weight loss.

1. My body is so touchy! Everyone goes of plan for a meal every now and then, its perfectly okay but my body revolts! My stomach gets all bloated and distended and I gain 5lbs in a night! HOW?! I know its the salt and water retention but to see those numbers that much higher on the scale is upsetting and a little discouraging.

2. The time it takes. I mean I know I did not gain this weight in a week, so I can not wait lose it in a week but come on lol. I would be happy if I could lose at least 8lbs a month, but sometimes I cant even lose 5! I wish it was not such a guessing game.