Not eating enough to lose weight? Frustrated.

• To start, I'm nursing an (almost) one year old. I am at my pre-pregnancy weight (145ish), but I still have about 10 lbs. to lose from before I got pregnant. I was fine with the weight, but now it's becoming a problem for me and I want it gone.

I was following a 1500 calories/day program of very clean eating (low-no refined sugars, white carbs, etc.) for four weeks and I didn't lose one pound. I got very frustrated and stopped being so stringent two weeks ago. I still eat healthy, but I have a little more sugar than I was having and I indulge more when pre-menstrual. I'm going to guess I'm eating 1800-1900 calories a day, though I stopped counting.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a meal plan or program that is great for nursing moms? Is it possible my body is holding onto the weight because I'm nursing? Even if my baby is almost a year? Is it possible I'm not getting enough calories? Is it possible I'm getting too many? Can you tell I'm frustrated? Any input/advice is appreciated!
  • It is absolutely possible that your body is still holding onto weight because you are nursing...even after a year! You are still working to make milk, so your body is still in a state of production.
  • I dropped 8 lbs almost immediately after weaning my son. It happens to a lot of women, their body will hang onto 5-10 lbs to aid in milk production. It sucks, but it's what your body needs.
  • Thank you both for your thoughts; I really appreciate it.

Is it me or is it hard to wrap your head around the fact that your body just wants to hold onto weight? I have a hard time believing my body really wants this weight. I have read it before and both of you are saying it, but it just seems like I'm not doing something right. Yanno?

I guess I'll focus on exercise, eating healthy, and try to relax about it.
  • I'm right there with ya, sister! ((hugs)).. I know how frustrating it is..

I've been counting calories and exercising every second day pretty much religiously for the past month. I'm doing 1850 cals a day as I'm 6'1'' and 260'ish pounds. After a whole month.. I'm down 3 pounds. I was down 6 at one point, but then I started gaining them back about 2 weeks ago. I have no idea why, and it's beyond frustrating. The only culprit I can imagine is that I do have a (small) glass of red wine with dinner maybe 3 times a week. From my other forum, some people commented that alcohol can slow or stop weight loss... even though I account for the cals and stay within my daily amounts. So I'm going to give that up for the next month, just to see if that's it. I'm still nursing too, my baby is a year and 5 months.. I remember with my other 2 that I lost 5-10 pounds almost immediately after stopping.. I'm hoping that's the culprit and not some other hormonal/metabolism thing. I'm with you though, it's making me feel like quitting!
  • Firstly, congrats on the weight loss.

It's funny you mention the gain without cause because I fluctuate between a few pounds and I cannot seem to figure out why. I can't lie; I've stopped eating as healthy and I'm still the same weight. Go figure. I am working out religiously though and I've been tracking my calories. I'm eating about 1500-1600, though it isn't as healthy as it was. I simply don't get it and I'm still struggling with the idea that I'll just hold onto this weight until I wean.

to you, too. It's rough.
  • Quote: Firstly, congrats on the weight loss.

It's funny you mention the gain without cause because I fluctuate between a few pounds and I cannot seem to figure out why. I can't lie; I've stopped eating as healthy and I'm still the same weight. Go figure. I am working out religiously though and I've been tracking my calories. I'm eating about 1500-1600, though it isn't as healthy as it was. I simply don't get it and I'm still struggling with the idea that I'll just hold onto this weight until I wean.

to you, too. It's rough.

I'm still nursing and have been for about the past 5 years >.<

My favorite pregnancy book was "Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy" by Vicki Iovine. She swore that she couldn't lose the last ten lbs when she was nursing. Since I was heavier before I got pregnant the last few times, I can't really compare, I'm still 30 lbs over my goal so I dunno? But she swore that in her book and it correlates with your experience here and what some of the other posters shared so I'd assume its true, whether it makes sense or not. Our bodies are often far more intelligent and complex than we give them credit for