Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 12:13 AM   #1  
In the Home Stretch!

S/C/G: See Tracker

Height: 5'6"

Default Not being able to eat enough...give me a break!

I can't hold it in anymore but if I see one more thread started about not being able to eat enough I'm going to scream! Really??? This is a forum for weight loss support and dieting. I can't speak for everyone but I got to 240lbs by EATING, eating a lot, lots of crap, lot of high calorie food, I like to eat. How can eating more then 1000 calories in one day be a problem??? Shoot I used to do that in one meal. Okay, sorry I just had to get that off my chest....aaaaahhh.

Last edited by daniela; 06-28-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:23 AM   #2  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

Height: 5'6

i kind of agree with that .... sometimes i get angry when i see ppl say things like i cant even eat that much because im sitting here thinking ... i could ... and i did .... and i wish upon a star that i could get more than what im allowed too ..... granted some days i dont feel very hungry somedays i feel like i can eat a horse !
Old 06-28-2009, 12:35 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 249/228/165

Height: 5'9"

disordered eating comes in all shapes and sizes.

take what you need, leave the rest. (click/close)

isolde
Old 06-28-2009, 12:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 305/172.6/135

Height: 5foot 4 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniela View Post
I can't hold it in anymore but if I see one more thread started about not being able to eat enough I'm going to scream! Really??? This is a forum for weight loss support and dieting. I can't speak for everyone but I got to 240lbs by EATING, eating a lot, lots of crap, lot of high calorie food, I like to eat. How can eating more then 1000 calories in one day be a problem??? Shoot I used to do that in one meal. Okay, sorry I just had to get that off my chest....aaaaahhh.
AMEN SISTER!!!! I have always been annoyed by that too. unless you are very very ill for some reason, or like 102 yrs old....this can not possibly be an issue
especially not on this WEIGHT LOSS SITE!
Old 06-28-2009, 01:05 AM   #5  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

While I agree (eating too little will never be a problem for me!) and I wish I HAD that problem... I do understand why people find themselves in this position. If you switch from pure junk to real whole food the calories really do stack up less quickly.

So many easy solutions to fitting a few hundred more calories in though. A tablespoon of peanut butter... more healthy oil in your cooking... Its such an asy "problem" to fix. Eatting too much though seems so much harder to fix.

But i do see both sides of the fence. The other side sure does look greener though doesn't it?
Old 06-28-2009, 01:22 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I can sure understand it being frustrating. I certainly don't have that problem. But I think we have to be careful about implying people are lying or should not be here. How could many forum members not be offended at this? This is really difficult.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 06-28-2009 at 01:23 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:53 AM   #7  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

While I have occasional days when I feel I should lock the dogs up, I'm so hungry, most days I would have calories to spare if I didn't try harder. This is indeed because moving from eating high fat, highly processed foods to whole foods has meant I get a hlluva lot more bang for my buck; that is to say, more bulk for my calories.

There are all kinds of posts that push my buttons ~ people twice my weight yet half my size (call me shallow, I know I should be in this for my health but it's really for my looks); people my size, twice my size, thrice my size who are in happy relationships with a significant other (no reason why they shouldn't be, just I always thought I was unattractive cos I'm fat, the fact that there's clearly more to it than that is unsettling); people who write 'loose' for 'lose' (it's a different verb). I find it probably better to skip those posts when I see them coming, basing this on the assumption that people didn't post a button-pusher just to annoy me.
I still need to work on my Diet Rage issues though.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:35 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniela View Post
Oh you are funny. I will admit that I've thought this at times myself. Well, make that every time I read a post of that nature. It's hard to fathom someone who's overeaten to the point where they need to lose weight, all of sudden "not being able to get their calories in" and actually need advice on doing so. Whatever.

I'm sure lots of people can't fathom some of the things that I *say* either. Probably. Most likely. Pretty much so. Whatever.

By the way, it's not that I think they're lying like someone mentioned, and the OP didn't elude to that either - it's *I* just can't fathom it. It makes no sense *to me* as eating a lot extra, never mind a little extra is ez shmeazy *for me*. I am a compulsive overeater, hence why I got to be 287 lbs. The thing is, I'm envious of them. QUITE! It boggles my mind how soooo quickly they can change their eating habits. Make a complete 180 - going from eating too much to too little. But it doesn't really matter what I can and can't fathom. Just because I can't fathom it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Oooh and the loose thing makes me a big crazy too.

I've had my share of typos. I cringe sometimes after I'll reread a post days later and see it blaring back at me. Now why in the world didn't I catch it earlier? Whatever.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 06-28-2009 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:25 AM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I've been obese nearly all my life, 37 out of my 43 years, and I've been in weight loss groups since age 8.

Call it karma, but most of my life, I rolled my eyes (at least on the inside) at people who claimed they couldn't get in enough calories - and also those who claimed to "eat like a bird," and couldn't understand why they didn't lose weight. I knew I was fat because I ate more than "normal" people, a lot more - way, way more. And I thought that everyone who was fat, did too.

Even my mom and grandma, who were overweight, but seemed to eat a lot more like normal people - I just assumed they "snuck" food when no one was looking, like I had learned to, in order to avoid being lectured. I assumed they were hungry all the time, like me. Obsessed with food, constantly. Hungry, even after eating until I felt sick.

When I was younger, I was never in the "How can I get in more calories," nor the "I'm not eating, why am I not losing," clubs.

Now, I can say I've experienced both (well, the first one only sort of). When I eat very low-carb, my hunger disappears and 1500 calories feels like A LOT of food. I don't have "trouble" getting in calories, because healthy fats are always a way to add calories for little volume. Eating any amount of starchy/sugary foods (even "whole" foods like grains or potato), however turns hunger back on. If I eat refined carbs, the hunger returns, and I don't have hunger, I have HUNGER.

Not eating much calorically, and not losing weight, now that I've experienced, but only in the last six years. I now have health issues, including borderline low-thyroid (my thyroid hormone levels are just barely under the point most doctors want to prescribe thyroid medication. I could doctor shop, but that's not me).

Looking at what I'm eating now, just to maintain my weight - on the same calories twenty years ago I would be losing 5 to 8 lbs a week. There are a lot of reasons, including the fact that I'm not nearly as active, but sometimes it does seem like cosmic pay-back for all that eye-rolling and lack of sympathy I had for situations not my own.

Now I sometimes SEE those eyerolls directed my way. Sometimes when I take home 3/4 of my dinner in a restaurant, or when I turn down cake at a family gathering, or when I tell doctors what I'm eating. Luckily, none from my primary physician (who is trying to lose 15 to 20 lbs himself, and not having the luck he would like to).

I guess I've learned that weight loss is a lot more complicated than many of us think - especially when we're encountering experiences so far from our own. It's difficult to be sympathetic and impossible to be empathetic to an experience we can't at least imagine being in ourselves. That doesn't mean it's ok to judge people in those situations, but I do think it means that the eyerolling and disparaging comments need to be kept away from people it might hurt.

Last edited by kaplods; 06-28-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:31 AM   #10  
Almost there! 7lbs to go!

S/C/G: 165/137/130

Height: 5'8"

Wow... Ok then.. I'm one of the ones who posted about that in the last couple days. I posted to ask for help. I ate more calories when I ate crap too, but now that I've done a complete overhaul on my diet, things are different.

I'll definitely think twice before posting now... Sorry to have offended anyone.

Last edited by Moralia; 06-28-2009 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Typo.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:37 AM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moralia View Post
Wow... Ok then.. I'm one of the ones who posted about in the last couple days. I posted to ask for help. I ate more calories when I ate crap too, but now that I've done a complete overhaul on my diet, things are different.

I'll definitely think twice before posting now... Sorry to have offended anyone.
No, no, no, no, no - you didn't offend any one - not in the slightest. Like I said, I'm just envious! Really, really envious. Please post away and keep on asking for help. We're all different and all require different things.

Remember this is the internet and things can easily get misconstrued. I can't speak for the OP or anyone but myself for that matter. But when one needs to lose 100 lbs or more, they *usually* ARE in a different *category* for lack of a better word and DO have different issues then lighter folks. So for us, we really have a hard time comprehending such things.

Just like the lighter folks probably can't comprehend getting to the point where one NEEDS to lose 100 + pounds.

Like I said we are all different. And every ones' thoughts, questions, suggestions and opinions are welcome and valid.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:45 AM   #12  
In the Home Stretch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
But I think we have to be careful about implying people are lying or should not be here. How could many forum members not be offended at this? This is really difficult.
Not sure what you mean about the lying statement but in no way shape or form was I saying someone should not be here. Just want to set that clear right up front. And yes, maybe some would be offended at my original post. What can I say it was late I was frustrated, I just blurted it out without further explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailidh View Post
I find it probably better to skip those posts when I see them coming, basing this on the assumption that people didn't post a button-pusher just to annoy me.
I should know better by now and skip the posts that are going to upset me (I already know which ones will )

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Oh you are funny. I will admit that I've thought this at times myself. Well, make that every time I read a post of that nature. It's hard to fathom someone who's overeaten to the point where they need to lose weight, all of sudden "not being able to get their calories in" and actually need advice on doing so. Whatever.
Yes, my statement was more of a "me" thing. Just hard for "me" to understand but I leftout the other half...

The reason I get so frustrated with those posts is that I worry that some people try to eat little in the beginning because they want faster results. Then where are they going to go calorie wise when they have say 10-20lbs left to lose. The WONDERFUL thing about calorie counting is the options and that you can tweak things to work for YOU. I'll be the 1st to admit that I have had to make many changes to the amount of calories I eat to keep seeing weight melt off and yes I have made mistakes. I droped my calories to soon at 200lbs and got stuck there for a month.

It's just hard for me to understand the "I can't eat enough". I feel satisfied 95% of the time. There are some days where I'd like to eat more but I think that's more about emotional eating the real hunger. It is pretty cool to know that I can feel full without having to eat 2500+ calories.

I know this whole weight lose thing is hard and that we come here for support, I'm usually very supportive and upbeat but I guess I just threw my first hissy fit on the boards...my bad

So let me share a few more things that lead to this post that might help others. I'm a bit of a data nerd so I made this to help me see the big picture about a month ago.

You can see that in Dec I dropped my calories hoping to keep losing weight but I got stuck and had to up my cal to get the scale going down again. Just this week I upped my cal to 1800 from 1600 because I'm running more (training for a 1/2 marathon) and I noticed I was getting tired and didn't have enough energy during my weight lifting workouts. I'm pretty sure I'll still be able to lose at 1800 cal because of all the exercising I do and it's below my maintenance level. It's going to be slower but I've accepted that.

Thanks for listening and I hope this post encourages some good conversation

Last edited by daniela; 06-28-2009 at 07:55 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-28-2009, 08:03 AM   #13  
In the Home Stretch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moralia View Post
Wow... Ok then.. I'm one of the ones who posted about that in the last couple days. I posted to ask for help. I ate more calories when I ate crap too, but now that I've done a complete overhaul on my diet, things are different.

Crap now I feel bad please don't think twice about posting! I wasn't trying to single you out or anyone else for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Remember this is the internet and things can easily get misconstrued. I can't speak for the OP or anyone but myself for that matter. But when one needs to lose 100 lbs or more, they *usually* ARE in a different *category* for lack of a better word and DO have different issues then lighter folks. So for us, we really have a hard time comprehending such things.

Just like the lighter folks probably can't comprehend getting to the point where one NEEDS to lose 100 + pounds.
THANK YOU SO MUCH Robin! I couldn't have said it better myself. This is why you rock!
Old 06-28-2009, 08:07 AM   #14  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

You wore a bikini? Hallelujah! I am so impressed; and jealous and all the other things that come out sounding tit for tat and don't mean to, just how I feel and wow! congratulations!

I love your data too (and your gracious spirit). Fascinating that pattern of peaks and troughs seems to repeat consistently, like floral wall paper.

I'm sure you're right and you'll continue losing at 1800, it sounds good and sustainable.

Today is a 'run dogs, she's firing up the barbie' day; I forgot to go shopping yesterday, can't really work up the enthusiasm to walk into town to get something, so I'll either be creative with a bunch of veggies or eat some high cal bread that'll leave me hungry in half an hour. Hm.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:10 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 280.0/205.8/100.0

Daniela, I've been concerned over my calories recently and may very well have been one of the people who annoyed you. So let me clarify what the issue is. It's not that I CAN'T eat enough calories. It's that I've been concerned about whether my calories were high enough to keep losing weight.

I don't qualify as obese yet. With a BMI of 42.87, I qualify as extremely obese. And that's after losing 45.6 pounds since the middle of March. I'd hate to think what my BMI was before I started losing weight.

Although I admit that I do on occasion stuff myself beyond being full (I've been known to take "all you can eat" as a personal challenge at a buffet), for the most part, that's not how I came to weigh 280 pounds. I'd eat 2-3 very high calorie doughnuts for breakfast and wash them down with a large Frappacino (sp?), munch candy throughout the day as the mood struck me (and it struck me often), then hit a buffet or a high calorie restaurant meal for dinner. Plus dessert(s). On top of that, it was nothing to eat an entire pint of Hagen Daaz or Ben & Jerry's or consume an entire package of eclairs as a snack between those meals. I didn't eat because I was hungry. I ate because I was bored and lonely.

In the middle of March I decided that I'd lose the weight. I didn't want a "diet" plan. I wanted a lifestyle change where no foods were forbidden. I wanted an eating plan I could be happy with for the rest of my life.

I decided to eat only if I was hungry and to eat mostly nutritious calories instead of sweets and restaurant meals. I substantially increased my water intake and committed to eating 5+ servings of vegetables per day. I started measuring out everything from protein to condiments. I made a rule for myself to rarely eat anything after 7PM. And I added some light exercise.

The weight came down quickly at first because I found that after eating all those vegetables and drinking that volume of water, plus eating my servings of protein and fruits, I rarely had room for sweets and starches. I was loving the food I was eating (except my mandatory daily salad which I tolerate but will never love), I was never hungry and I was feeling healthier than I'd felt in years.

I've been meticulously tracking my progress and I'd recently had a nice stretch of weight loss for 3 weeks - 4.8, 5.0 and 4.6 pounds. Then I hit a week where I only lost 1.4 pounds and the worries set in. I see many posts advising people to eat more calories to lose weight so I started tracking my food on The Daily Plate to see how many calories I was eating. (Over 6 days, the average has come to 1254 calories per day.)

I've lost 2.4 pounds this week so far since Monday. I'd prefer a loss of 3 pounds per week until I get under 200 pounds, but I'm not hungry after I consume my planned foods, I allow myself a bite of cake or a piece of chocolate if I want it and I feel healthy. At this time, I'm content with 1254 calories per day as an average.

I'm trying my hardest to eat proper nutrition and exercise and to become healthy and slim. But I'm human and have little mental demons which tell me that I'm not doing it "right" when I don't see the results I want. So please try to tolerate the posts if some of us worry that maybe we aren't consuming "enough" to continue to lose our extra weight at a decent pace. We're all here for the same reason, to become more slender and healthy. And we all need encouragement.

Oh, and I agree that when I see posts where people use "loose" instead of "lose", it makes me want to hit the edit button for them. But I'd rather cheer them on in their efforts to lose weight than beat them up about their spelling.

Edit: Of course people were posting as I was typing. I type slowly. Daniela, I didn't take your post as any form of slam, I was just trying to help you understand the issue. 100+ pounds to lose is a little overwhelming and can lead to worrying about doing it "right" at times.

Last edited by CamiToo; 06-28-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Closed Thread