Beck Diet For Life/Solution – April 2010 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 24 of 24
Go to
  • Hello Beck friends!

A flyby for me this AM....I'm still off my early schedule due to company and they're not going to be able to leave today because we're in the middle of a big snowstorm.

I had a good OP/Beck day yesterday. I was able to use alot of my newfound skills to work my way around foods I don't need to be eating. My coach and I are moving ahead, but I find myself really focusing on days 25-27. My heart says it's where I need to focus right now.

onebyone, I am so sorry to hear about your kitty. I went through a similar experience last fall with my dog, Lexxiss. When I joined 3fc last May, and used her name as mine, I never thought I would lose her so soon. Take care of yourself. I am greatful I didn't eat my way through the end of her life...it let me know I could take care of myself during rough times. Good job, too, having that back up plan to enlist during tough times.
  • I bought a bamboo shoot at the Farmers Market yesterday. I peeled it, sliced it into rings (the center is hollow), and boiled the rings for 20 minutes. It tastes kind of like heart of palm. We enjoyed it on our salad last night.

I decided that I need to do what some others here have done -- automate my meals more so that I have fewer choices during the day and, mostly, so that I can streamline my food shopping and preparation. I mind-mapped some ideas last night and I like the plan, but it may take me a couple of days to get it fully implemented.

WI: -0.3kg (new low), Exercise: +50 1170/1800 minutes for April, Food: 95%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

nathy: good job getting yourself back on plan and really understanding why that works for you!

MerinoGirl: welcome! Yay for your list of credits!

Shepherdess: glad you are finding opportunities to rest and to enjoy your spring. Hope all goes well with the branding and feeding the crews.

maryblu: sounds like a great plan! welcome back to Beck basics!

onebyone: so sad about Kitty X -- be gentle with yourself, it's a difficult time.

CeeJay: yay for all your credits! We're having beautiful weather between storms every few days.

BillBlueEyes: good job on sticking to 2/3 of an orange -- that would be exactly my thought process, too. Probably about 50/50 now that I'd go for the 2/3 instead of the 1 2/3.

seadwaters: ouch for the working lunch, but yay for pulling in under calories -- that deserves a credit because it means you were mindful with the day as a whole.

Beverlyjoy: I think I'd be having that same problem with the calculation of pain pills versus weight loss. But I think you've got it exactly right -- develop the right habits now without worrying about the scale and when you no longer have to take the pills you'll be in a good position to see what you want on the scale.

Lexxiss: yay for continuing your Beck behaviors even with company, and with them staying unexpectedly long!
  • Hello Beck Friends & Coaches,

Did you ever have a day where you did everything right, and really suffered through it, but in the end triumphed through hunger with response cards and support, etc., and then weighed in the next day only to discover that you have GAINED weight?? That was my day yesterday.

My initial response was extreme frustration. And, no, monthly fluctuations are not responsible for this. After a while, after getting through my shower and my morning routine, I thought, well, it wasn't a bad day after all, because while the scale may not have rewarded my effort, it was a good training day, taking me one step closer to the point where the "thin person" skills will be somewhat more automatic. So I made sure to read all of my response cards and plan today's meals, and generally carry on the fight another day.

Not much else to do, is there?

Onebyone: Gentle thoughts for you and your kitty. She is a fortunate creature to know so much love.

Beverlyjoy: Much sympathy for pain, foot pain & meds. I have a bum ankle that sprains if you look at it funny, and I'm in a brace now. When it's healthy my exercise activities are limited, and when it's not healthy I have to limit even walking. I don't lose weight if I can't exercise, and to say that it tries my patience is an understatement. Hang in there!

Shepherdess: Have fun with the knitting! And if you happen to sell your wool, you can point me in that direction. I have started to buy more from local sheep & alpaca farmers - feels good when I do.

BillBlueEyes: Thanks for the colorful welcome! Brightened my day right up.

I either found Dr. Beck's books when I was websurfing, or through a reference from the NY Times Fitness & Nutrition articles. I wanted to find diet advice that was candid about the issue of hunger, something I think that most diet plans mention very little if at all. I found 3FC by Googling "beck diet coach". You guys come up on the first page (so what if it's the bottom of the page??) !
  • forlorn.
    Hi Coaches

Kitty X is lying here on the desk beside me again. Head down. Purring. I haven't seen her all day. I have no clue where she is hiding now. Her usual spot is ruined by me I fear. When I took her to the vet I pulled her out from under the couch. I think she remembers that and has nixed that as a hiding spot.

I went in to the ceramic room at school today to do some work. the room looked pretty good and after I unloaded the kilns I just... left. I wandered around a while and then came home. I did some *** with regards to my craft items. I am experimenting with some mylar backed foils and applying them to my modeling plastic surfaces. It's intriguing. I have a major amount of things to make to get ready for the Farmers' Market opening a week from Saturday.
    I pretty much need to make everything and I have to figure out how to display my work this year. But even if I just screw some screws into the walls for my paintings and set up a table with stuff on it that'll do for day 1.
    Of course, I wanted and over-the-top opening to make jaws drop but I'm not going to worry if it's not all that. It'll be enough, whatever it is. I really have to get at it though.

On top of this, the art-in-the-park show I organize has its application deadline tomorrow. Several artists have called in panic to get their application in to me. My show partner, T and I already did a preliminary jurying of the applications to date so not much more to wade through. it looks good but because we were slack getting the call to artists out we have too many beaders. Next year I think we'll have a separate jurying just for jewelery with a definite quota.

Food was not awful. 65% I'd give it. I underate in general and I had a can of pop. I went too long between meals and I skipped breakfast. Guess that's my real default pattern. Well it makes sense. feast or famine. stop or go. Credit to me for noticing.

Have a good evening coaches. Thanks for all the kind thoughts for me and my Kitty X.

PS: the censor censored " R & D" written with no spaces. wonder why?
  • Just a quick check in tonight.

A mixed bag today. Foot very sore and got home late so did not exercise. No worry, will be back at that tomorrow. Food was on plan every meal/snack except lunch. Lunch was at the dreaded chinese restaurant. Decided to go and have just deluxe wonton soup. Got there and caved in immediately and ate the buffet. Did not use any resistance techniques. Movin on from that. It did not trigger any overeating for the rest of the day so yay for that.

I have a plan for tomorrow (that does not include any restaurant eating). I have lunch packed. Am going to walk at lunch tomorrow. Am going to do weights right after work. Am going to eat pasta with veg sauce for dinner. Will read cards and post here.

Hope everyone has a great Friday
  • Friday
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Had an event last evening starting directly after work with appetizers, drinks, yadda yadda, and served banquet in the large ballroom of a local hotel. I was determined to stop my drifting and to use my resistance muscle to convince myself that I can still plan. Well, I did it; CREDIT moi. I skipped all the appetizers except for a small spoon full of pumpkin seeds (because I'd just read how healthy they are), had zero liquid calories despite the open bar and FREE poured wine throughout the evening, ate only the steak, shrimp, and veggies leaving the roasted potatoes on my plate, and, . . . ta-dum . . . the biggie, ate the apples and cranberries out of the middle of the hot tart dessert leaving the crispy, delicious-looking phyllo-dough on the plate. CREDIT moi ... may I use this to get back on track with my eating.

And had my orange for evening snack when I got home. CREDIT moi again just because I'm feeling good about the evening.

onebyone - Sending hugs to you and Kitty X. Congrats for being so busy producing art which seems to get all your good juices flowing. Hope that breakfast can sneak back into your life.

CeeJay - Kudos for absorbing the dreaded Chinese buffet and moving on with your day. Today's plan sounds really good.

Beverlyjoy - Ouch for the foot/ankle pain and the mental anguish it's causing as well. Yep, living healthfully with food is what I need to tattoo on my brain. I'm looking forward to a rehash of the nine thinking errors. I reinvent them pretty frequently.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats on the new low and Kudos for the 50 minutes of exercise instead of chucking the whole month. Those bamboo rings sound like fun to make. Will you do it again?

Shepherdess - LOL that after a week in the birthing barn, your busy life seems like down time. Good luck cooking all that food and controlling your nibbling. LOL that you started knitting by bottle feeding sheep.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Yep, "Drat for working lunches" - I've bitterly eaten too much mediocre food while thinking about my good lunch back in my office. Kudos for controlling the volume.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Ouch for the snowstorm; Double Ouch that it's trapped your house guests with it. Kudos for staying on plan with the company.

MerinoGirl - Kudos for a day on plan, but Honking Kudos for wisely confronting that the scale moves when the body is ready, but staying on plan each day is the big accomplishment. Yep, it's hard to disengage from that cocaine-like feedback of a dropping scale reading. One of the benefits of disengaging from it is that you will reach the maintenance stage where the joy is from days on plan and a scale that doesn't move.

Readers -
    Quote:
    day 26
    Common Thinking Errors

There are nine common thinking mistakes people make when dieting:

Thinking Mistake #1: All or Nothing Thinking
    You see things in two categories when there's really a middle ground.
    Examples:
    • Either I'm completely on my diet or I'm off my diet.
    • Either I'm 100 percent successful or I'm a failure and may as well give up dieting.
    . . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 195.
  • Friday Night
    Hi Coaches
    A really busy day and a tad exhausted. I have been on plan today and tonight am making a soup to use up the odds and ends in the fridge so I can shop tomorrow. This means tomorrow morning I have to make my menus and shopping list or I will be totally out of control. I had coffee out today and REALLY wanted a cake of some sort (I had done some exercise) - but I didn't, so hope my resistance muscle is balancing my giving in muscle

BillBlueEyes - Yay for the excesses of the Cedar Waxwing - what a great role model for the insensibility of stuffing ourselves (and what a great name). I have two Pug / Jack Russell crosses (who also look particularly cute when they are not so heavy they can stand up) who no matter what you put it front of them would continue to eat. When I think I can be like them it is a sobering thought - and we managed to cross post. So just to keep the order of the world right I will respond to you AMAZING efforts to stay away from the beverages and to exercise your resistance muscle in other ways - Credit you! Thank you for reminding me that even strawberries have calories and one needs to put them on the plan before stuffing oneself with them (given I have about 6 punnets of them it is a timely reminder)

BeverlyJoy - darn DH's butterscotch ambushing you. Sorry about your foot - it sounds awful. I am on steroids for the autoimmune stuff (can't take NSAIDs anyway) and the pain and it certainly makes losing weight pretty challenging but it makes life bearable. The hunger is a problem of course. But constant pain is debilitating. And hopefully I will be able to exercise because of the drugs. I am gradually reducing the dose but still need it

Shepherdess - ouch for finding it hard to get back on the program especially after a break for whatever reason. Your busy week sounds challenging so sending thoughts your way. You do cattle too? Australia is very fond of lamb - one of our favourite food and certainly in my family it was.

Gardenerjoy - I love bamboo shoot - we never get it fresh here except I think the restaurants manage. I tend towards asian food and of course bamboo shoots are great in a good stir fry. I am with you on the simplify food and meals project. It has made my life easier and healthier I think

MerinoGirl - Ouch for gaining weight but huge credit for using your response cards through hunger. Also Credit for your positive self talk about an undesirable weight result

OnebyOne - Kitty is purring - she seems to be in the zone and doing his cat thing. I am not sure you can do more for her. Good luck with preparation for the market and Credit for "food was not awful" - that's good

CeeJay - credit for a plan for tomorrow - and it sounds like a good one.

Have a great day coaches

Cheryl
  • Hi becksters, coaches, buddies...

Yesterday was a healthy day.... I am always grateful for that. I decided to take whatever medicine I need to get through the foot/ankle pain. I guess I had to process it - and it's relationship to food. Also...I still need to/must continue to eat healthfully no matter what side effects I get from the meds. I thank you for hearing my woes and confusions in this.

I must now get ready to take my mom to a doctor's appointment. I will do personals later in the day.

Carry on...be kind to yourself.
  • I did strength training yesterday for the first time since I injured myself early this month. I've been afraid to use even my tiny pink one pound dumbbells. But everything went fine, so I'm happy with that.

The last time I had Quizno's for lunch, I said "never again." But I did again yesterday. Getting busy at lunchtime, especially yard work, seems to trigger that particular situation. I actually have pleasant, comforting associations with between dirt, tired, and splitting a sandwich in the sunroom with my husband. Which is exactly how things happened yesterday. More planning required, I guess, so that I don't end up hungry, busy, and out running errands all at the same time.

WI: -0.4kg (new low), Exercise: +40 1210/1800 minutes for April, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

MerinoGirl: I've been weighing myself nearly every day since some time in August and I've come to the conclusion that the daily weight means nothing at all. I've done everything right and gained weight, done lots of things wrong and lost weight. I once gained 5 pounds in 24 hours (apparently the Japanese food I ate had lots of sodium!) It's only the long term trend that is helpful to me.

onebyone: more hugs for you and Kitty X. Good for you for getting going on your art work.

CeeJay: sounds like a wonderful plan for getting back on track -- complete with walking at lunch. That's great!

BillBlueEyes: great job with your eating event! Yes, I'm going to buy another bamboo shoot when I have the chance. And I've dropped my objection to growing bamboo in our yard. It's more aggressive than I like for a garden plant, but if I can control it by eating it, that's okay by me!

seadwaters: yay for an on-plan day and for knowing that you need a plan to keep it that way. Good job resisting the treat with your coffee!

Beverlyjoy: kudos for a healthy day and for working out your concerns with your meds.
  • feeling better today...
    Coaches

Today was : weigh-in day, and while I am up one lb, I am stiil down 20 so

phew.

After a tough week that number is a victory to me. And, I know enough to persist in victory so I need to move forward once more.

I just feel better today. Thanks.

I can't stay as I have to really get to work but I'll check in later. TGIF.
  • I got my run in yesterday, even though I really wasn’t feeling like it. It was just a windy day, and I’ve run in worse. Finally, in the afternoon, I was checking the upcoming weather forecast and it said the wind had died down to a breezy 20 mph. So I finally bit the bullet and went out. It really wasn’t so bad, but it is hard putting on my winter running gear (just for wind protection) after I’ve been running in shorts. It was a good thing I went because it’s snowing this AM and the wind is still blowing.

Food was better. I did avoid mindless snacking. Right now I’m not focusing on calorie content and nutrition. I just don’t have the mental energy to expend on it. I’m just trying to stick to my usual eating schedule. I have been sticking with old, tried and true, meals and snacks so I think I am pretty close. Next week, when I’m more rested and things have slowed down, I will just double check some of those things, just to make sure.

Beverlyjoy, looks like you and I were posting at the same time yesterday. Sorry for the continued foot pain and that it made you cave to candy. It is a good reminder for all of us that “living healthfully with food” is most important. The pain meds will only temporarily slow the weight loss and they will get you back on your feet and back in the garden quicker.

RE sheep: Our herd is what is known as “dual purpose” meaning we are raising both quality wool and quality meat. Although even those who focus on wool sell lambs for meat since they will cull the lambs with the lowest wool quality. But it’s all a matter of the focus of your breeding program. We are slightly more interested in wool quality, but meat quality is important as well.

Lexxiss, ouch for those spring snowstorms. I like to tell those visiting in spring that it will be very pretty, but they should be prepared to stay longer than they expected. Great job staying OP with guests.

Gardenerjoy, the bamboo shoot sounds really good. I had no idea that anyone besides pandas could eat them. Automating meals certainly helps you stay on plan while busy. I love to experiment with new recipes, but having those go-to meals that I don’t have to think about is nice. I’m imagining “dirt and tired.” I told DH I’m taking Monday off and spending it in the garden.

MerinoGirl, it is frustrating to feel like you did everything right, only to find that the scale doesn’t reflect it. But your day-to-day weight is a fickle thing. That’s why I find the daily weigh-ins so helpful. It helps you see the big picture. But give yourself credit for a great day! Those are hard to come by. I’m working on a website for my wool and will let you know when it is up and running. Thanks for the interest! It’s great to have craftspeople who like their wool to have a story.

Onebyone, you’re right that regular eating is important for staying on track. I always make poor food choices when I let myself get too hungry between meals. Good luck with everything you have to do. You’re display at the craft fair is going to be great. Yay for a weigh-in that feels like a victory!

CeeJay, ouch for the buffet incident, but great job getting right back on track. I’m convinced those quick recoveries are key. Hope your foot feels better soon.

BillBE, I’m giving you a standing ovation maneuvering through tempting food so deftly! Of course, now you have me imagining trays piled high with amazing appetizers and hot tart desserts. Again, great job.

Seadwaters, kudos for getting some exercise! That must mean you are starting to recover. Another kudos for resisting that “I worked so hard and deserve a treat” voice. I often struggle with that one.

Yes, we ranch both sheep and cattle. DH great grandfather just ran sheep, but about 50 years ago or so, his family started running cattle as well. Because the sheep market has been so bad in the US for the last 20 years, his family has slowly moved more towards the cattle, but now that DH and I are back on the ranch, we are working on bringing back our sheep numbers. We’re fortunate that the sheep market is improving.
  • Hi again..... I had 90 minutes of waiting time while my mom was at the doctor's appointment. I took all my Beck 'stuff' - for that whole time I worked on days 25, 26 & 27. I made many response cards - working on my frequent sabataging thoughts, thinking mistakes, and the seven question techniques. I think it took putting it all together at one sitting for me to kind of figure it out. I am just scratching the surface, really. But - Billbe - you are right, once I understand more what those chapters are trying to do, the more it is helpful - even powerful in this journey. I think I still have much to do with these chapters.

shepardess - I am glad you could get your run in - makes ya feel so good. You said - I have been sticking with old, tried and true, meals and snacks so I think I am pretty close. I think there's alot of 'comfort' in this. You can get more exact or switch up your meals when you can.

onebyone - yes, often, a tiny gain can be a victory when life has come at you full throttle.

gardenerjoy - I am so glad to hear you've been able to do some of your exercises. It's so true - being tired and busy can make the sabotaging thoughts spin in our head we forget our goals. It's good that you recognize this. credit! Yum - bamboo shoots are good.

lexxiss - Iam so glad to hear that the beck techniques are helping you. credit!I too am concentrating on the same chapters as you. I think it may take weeks for me!

seadwaters - credit for not eating the cake...also for planning your meals so you will have the right food available. It's important, indeed.

billbe - major credit for getting through this dinner in such a healthful and sane approach. (I know you know what I mean my sane) You said - may I use this to get back on track with my eating. I think it's a good idea to use this as actions to build on.

ceejay - Oh no...a sore foot....I can totally relate. You take care of yourself. It's good that you have a plan for the next day.

merino - it's very very hard to face a gain after a good day. But, it can't be a real gain - as dr. beck says - every time you get on the scale, it's but, one moment in time. It's effected by food, water, energy expended, hormones, bodily functions and more. Did you eat an extra 3500 calories?? Sometimes it's hard to desensitize oneself to the daily flucuations of the scale. I weigh once a week - that's what works for me. I think everyone finds out what works the best for themself.
    Also, you said - . I have a bum ankle that sprains if you look at it funny, and I'm in a brace now. When it's healthy my exercise activities are limited, and when it's not healthy I have to limit even walking. I don't lose weight if I can't exercise, and to say that it tries my patience is an understatement. We could be 'ankle sisters'! I also wear a brace on my ankle. (a Riche brace) It's the same for me - can't do much exercise when I am having a big flair. It's hard to lose weight when mobility is limited. It helps me to have you mention this. Thanks.
  • Hello Friends,

Thanks for all the support and welcome. I see now why Dr. Beck makes coaching a mandatory step, not a nice-to-have.

And thanks, all, for no one telling me not to weigh myself every day. I started the daily weighing habit when I was a child, doing what my mom, another perpetual dieter, did. And, that was oh so long ago...

I once tried to follow someone's advice to weigh once a week. I put the scale on a shelf in a closet. A high shelf. Needed a chair to reach it. And within 3 days I had bitten off my nails. By the 4th or 5th day, I had pulled the chair back and retrieved the scale. I'd rather learn to decipher the scale, my own personal Rosetta stone, than quit it cold turkey. I'd rather stand there an argue with the stupid, mindless Beastie than not see what it has to say. That's just the way it is.

I give myself credit for making sure I got to read everybody's stories today, which mean a lot to me. I can't respond to them all right now, but it felt good to check in.

Good night to all.
  • Hi Everyone!

My company finally left. I loved the visiting, but will very much enjoy the return to my routine. My food choices were pretty good; a little unplanned eating but I had my new tools right with me at all times. I did some Beck reading tonight and used my resistance muscle to choose a salad over xrated for watching basketball tonight. A OP pumpkin pie is finishing in the oven-mine w/o crust. *Credit* for getting right back to serious business. I am close to goal and need/want to stay focused.

BillBlueEyes, for a very successful after work event! It was inspiration for me to get through mine today. I chuckled when reading about the Cedar Waxwing. My hubby loves them but always tells the same story.

CeeJay, good for you planning tomorrow after the dreaded Chinese buffet. I find if my plan is set in stone the night before I have more willingness not to stray.

maryblu, sorry you have to backtrack, but *credit* for the awareness of knowing what you need to do.

nathy, your garden and fruits sound wonderful and healthy! Many *credits*! Following the instructions in the book is very helpful.

Nuxmaga, salty is my downfall, too. *credit* for being less self critical.

bennyhannahmama, good luck with your weekend sale.

seadwaters, *credit* for using your odds and ends so you can make new menus and shop. It is really helping me. *credit* also, for avoiding cake with coffee out.

Gardenerjoy, I'm glad your strength training went well. *credit* for being willing to try again. for new lows!

onebyone, for victories! Glad you are feeling better! Down 20 is fantastic! I'm jealous of your Farmers Market starting so early.

Shepherdess, Isee you got in on this last snow. I hope we're done with it. We went driving the other day and watched all the lambs in the pastures near home...so cute! Yay for old, tried and true, meals and snacks!

Beverlyjoy, I'm hoping to have more time this week to work on 25-26-27, even though my coach and I will be moving on. Living healthfully with food is very powerful. I hope I reread that part of the book soon.

MerinoGirl, nice to meet you! I'm a knitter-mostly hats. It has been fun learning. Dr. Beck encourages a healthy relationship with the scale-I know when I "gain" 2 pounds overnight it's a natural fluxuation. I weigh every morning-once.

I hope I haven't missed anyone. Have a good weekend, Beck friends.
  • Discussion continues on the May 2010 Thread
    Please join us as this discussion continues on

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – May 2010 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach