Somercizers chat-new Aug 22

You're on Page 2 of 5
Go to
  • It's Friday!!!!
    Thank you all for being so helpful with all of your "eggless" breakfast suggestions. I will check out Nasus's recipes for breakfast. The faux cream of wheat sounds delicious, as I actually do like cream of wheat!

mauvaisroux, have a great time in Montreal. I hear that it's a beautiful city. DH & I went on a trip to Quebec a few years ago and I absolutely LOVED everything about it, until I heard about how much snow they get I loved how the main part has been kept through the centuries. I usually eat shredded wheat weekday mornings, then on weekends have my eggs. But, I was trying to limit the days I had cereal, to 2-3, and that's when the eggs started getting to me.

ANNE D, glad to see your post. Have a great weigh in day.

Barb, what is the name of the protein drink you have in the morning? On this WOE you don't have to worry too much about fat, but since I do have to be careful, I usually use low fat cheeses and meat, so the fat content in the protein shake should be ok. I will look in my grocery store to see if they carry that pour a quiche. I don't mind eggs if they are in something else, but eating them alone with bacon is starting to get to me. I am happy to see by your posts that Alvin is doing well. That must've been some scare. How are your knees doing?

nikkic, thanks for the sausage & salad dressings recipe. Have you been able to find sugar free ketchup? I haven't found any yet, but I do have a recipe from the SS site for it, and I also have a lo-carb cookbook with a recipe for ketchup. Where would you find liquid smoke?

DonDar, when I mentioned having hamburgh patties for breakfast, DH' eyes lit up!! I will definitely give it a try some morning

Again, thank you for all your suggestions. Everyone have a great weekend.
  • Hi everyone!
    Anne, I'm glad your here. I was wondering if you were going to come back. Are you still using your Gazelle? I want to get one, but want to know if a person gets bored doing it or if you don't mind it.

Mauvaisroux, love your new picture, you look stunning!
    Have a good time in the big city.

Aleka keep up the good work. Thank you so much for posting the Mock Potato Salad recipe. I found it right when I was boiling eggs and had a head of cauliflower. I was going to make a cauliflower salad, with mayo, parmesan cheese and bacon, but we're getting kind of tire of that one. I made the Mock P Salad and we had it for supper last night, it was really good.

The camping trip has been exciting so far. Last night there was a storm and the winds were clocked at 70mph. We got 2 inches of rain officially, but the cup holders that were out there had 3-4 inches in them. At 2am, we were outside, taking down the awning on the camper. Well, we're no worse for wear. The mosquitos are out in full force and we've been putting on repellant like mad.

I will have to look up the faux cream of wheat. I kind of miss that. It's funny, I would never eat it normally, but when you can't have something, you sure would like to have it all of a sudden. I am not missing potatoes. I think that is really strange, I have always loved them and could eat them 3 times a day. They are getting so expensive anyway, their not the budget stretcher that they use to be. My biggest thing that I love and will miss is Jasmine rice. I love the smell of that stuff and even love the taste. So far I've not had any real cravings for anything, and I hope I don't.

Talk to you all later,
    Nikki
  • Hi Everyone
    Nikkic, I have been so bad about my gazelle this last week
    If my weigh in goes bad tomorrow I will know why.
    I love my gazelle, but I have to set a time to do it each day.
    A couple of years ago I lost 50 pounds working out on it!
    My goal for next week is to do five out of seven days. I will let
    you know how I progress with that goal.
    I am so glad I am home. I have one witchy boss So I am
    grateful for two days respite.
    Tonight I am having beef patties with cesar salad. I love it!
    Still can't beleive this is a weight loss program.
    Have any of you folks heard this water story thats going around?
    Anne.
  • Hi, came home to feed the cats. We had a great supper last night. DH says that the steaks were the best he's eaten in his life and I agree. I cooked them over the fire and put some seasoning salt on them, it's a legal one. His brother gave us some beautiful tomatoe's and we had the last of the Mock Potato Salad. It was wonderful.

Anne, I never watch the news or read a paper. I haven't heard of the water story. What is it? I find the news so depressing or I just get so angry, so I just quit. DH usually keeps me up to date on anything I really need to know.

Talk to you all later, Nikki
  • Hello Everyone!!
    When I woke up this morning I was so scared to step on the
    scale. I hadn't done my gazelle this week, not to mention all
    the great food we enjoy on this diet Much to my
    amazement my weight was down 4 pounds to bring my total
    to 14 pounds in four weeks.
    Now, I don't expect to lose that much each month, but if I can
    lose five pounds per month and eat this great food I will be
    a happy camper.
    It just seems too good to be true! How are you all doing today?
    Anne.
  • Morning everyone

I am so tired this morning two late nights in a row, I think I am getting too old for this

So much for low carbing it I ate a huge plate on Pad Thai in Friday, no wait, make that Saturday morning at 2 am after leaving the night club in Montreal. I got home at 5 am on Saturday morning

Well at least I finally got the grocery shopping done, lots of fresh fruit and veggies. We went to Costco and stocked up on meat and chicken for the freezer. Today I have to pickup some decaf tea and coffee and some wholewheat crackers that are legal. I finally found some salsa that was sugar free-Yay! I am almost set to go into full Somercise mode.

Nikkic-how did the rest of your camping trip go? Your steak dinner sounded delicious My DH's eyes lit up when I said we could eat steak, cheese and salami on this Woe. His first comment was great and we're not buying any of that low-fat crap today either (loud enough for the whole grocery aisle to hear )

AnneD-how did your weigh in go? Did you manage to get back on the Gazelle? (Nag! Nag! Nag! ) I haven't heard of the water story either-please post.

Aleka- I have been to Quebec city too, it is very beautiful. Montreal is great, it has a lot of old buildings that have been maintained or restored. Very lively street life too, lots of street level shopping and cafes. It is great just to wander up and the down the streets checking everything out.

Must run- I am going out for the afternoon with my parents and DH.

Have a great day
  • Hi Everyone:
    Mauvaisroux I lost four pounds I will be starting back on
    my gazelle this week!!
    Here is the link with the water story
    http://www.msnbc.com/modules/exports...ews/796356.asp

Hoping everyone is having a great weekend!!
    Anne.
  • Congratulations Anne! Way to go on those 4 pounds

Question? Can any of you reccomend a whole wheat bread that is not made with sugar, glucose, fructose, sucrose, molasses, or honey? I must have looked at 10 different brands yesterday and couldn't find a thing!

Also crackers were another thing that were difficult to find. All the wholewheat ones contained some form of sugar and the one brand I did find called "Stoned Wheat" turned out to be made of enriched wheat with cracked wheat in it and not wholewheat at all. What's a low-carb gal to do I just gave up.
    Oh, and it took me 10 minutes just to find a store bought spaghetti sauce with all natural in gredients and no sugar-grrr
  • Hi, back in town to pick up my daughter from work. I spend so little time at the campground, I may as well stay home.
    I'm happy for you Anne. It feels good to make progress doesn't it?
    I am gaining again, up a few pounds. It could be that I'm not exercising and it could be I'm paying for that whiskey earlier this week.
    I was very interested in the water story, Anne. I said about the same thing a couple of weeks ago on the ss website and boy did I get a lot of people stirred up. I guess you shouldn't talk about water to other people either, it isn't pc. A lot of them are drinking 100 oz. a day. I can't do that, I'd be incontinent. When I worked as a nurse, I saw a lot of water intox people. We really had to limit their water intake. It upsets your body chemistry so badly to drink too much. Mostly people were psychotic, delusional and manic. I'm sure they were drinking more than 100 oz a day, shoot, they'd drink out of the toilet if you didn't watch them. It seemed the more they drank, the thirstier they got. If your body fluids become too dilute, you really get screwed up. I think it is best to drink when your body tells you too and not to try to chug down lots of water. Well, that's my 2 cents. I quit trying to talk about it over there, they were almost militant about the water thing. I guess each to his own, but I can't wait til the water study is done. People need to know that too much of a good thing is not always good.
    Well, got to go, talk to you later, take care, Nikki
  • Good morning,
    I hope you all enjoyed your weekend. Last week was not a very good SS week for me, and it continued into the weekend. I got on the scale this morning, and thankfully didn't gain anything. It's back to SSzing today.

BTW I see that on Sat. Aug. 31st, Suzanne will be on CNN at 8:30 am est., I believe to talk about her WOE. I hope I remember to put a tape in to watch it later on.

nikkic, it sounded like you were having such a good time, when it wasn't raining , it's a shame you won't be going back to the campground. Some people do gain after losing weight on this WOE, and some people gain before they start losing. If you continue to gain, omit what you think may be the cause, and see what happens. That is very interesting what you observed at the hosp. with people drinking too much water. I saw another article that said if you did drink a lot of water, it could help prevent bladder & colon cancer. There is just so much information out there, you don't know who to believe. Ya, I find some of the people on SS site a bit preachy.

mauvaisroux, one of the breads I've seen that a lot of SSzers talk about is Ezekial (sp?) bread. I found it in the freezer case in the health food section of my supermarket. If your supermarket has a healthfood section, you may find it there, if not, maybe a healthfood store may have it. Trying to find the right type of food is the only thing I dislike about this WOE. I still haven't found any legal pasta sauce. I live in a rural area and I have one grocery store to go to, and that's 10 miles away. So, I just do the best I can. I haven't found any crackers at all.

ANNE D, congratulations on losing 4 lb. that's fantastic! :cb Good luck on your gazelle this week. I went to that site about the water. I cannot drink that much water. If I drink water on an empty stomach, sometimes I get stomach pains, and I feel all bloated. I've read some articles that only water counted, nothing else. Then I read in different diet books that other beverages counted, except for coffee. Now according to that article, coffee counts too. YAY!!!

I'm off for my walk now. I hope you all have a great Monday! Aleka
  • Hi Everyone
    I don't over drink the water myself. I would be running to the
    bathroom at work all day!!
    I have about 6 tall glasses spaced out through the day but after
    reading that article I might cut myself down to four.
    Mauvaisroux, as a fellow Canadian, we don't have the greatest
    selection when it comes to finding the foods we need in the
    grocery store. I keep hearing about "pork rinds" do you think
    I could find these anywhere? They have zero carbs. I finally
    found a brand of salad dressing that in legal on our program.
    Paul Newman has a couple that tast great.
    Well tonights the night. I am going to set that gazelle up right
    now, no more excuses!! I don't know about you guys
    but I am sure glad Monday's over!!! At least we are coming up
    to a long weekend. I will take next week off to get
    the kids back in thier routines.
    Anne.
  • Evening everyone!

Well I broke down today and had a cheese tea biscuit
    But I did have a good breakfast. I made the chicken and leeks recipe from SS "Eat Great, Lose Weight" for supper tonight-it was delicious and really simple to make. DH and I really enjoyed it although next time I will cut the recipe in half as we now have enough chicken for two more meals, oh well it won't go wrong!

ANNE- I bought the Classico brand of pasta sauce, the roasted garlic and onion flavor, it was the only one that didn't have sugar in it. I've had it before and it tastes pretty good. I just add chopped veggies to it to fill it out. I got it at Loblaws.
    DH just told me that "pork rinds" are deep fried pork skin and that they come in a chip type bag and look like onion rings and can be found in the chip aisle at the grocery store. They sound gross but I will try anything once Which Paul Newman dressing did you get?

Aleka-thanks for the tip about CNN, I will try to tape it/watch it.
    I will look for that Ezekial bread too. The only thing I have found is an oatbran bread but I was at 2 different stores and they were both sold out.

nikkic-I know what you mean about that other site. I have read some of the posts but haven't really got around to posting anything myself. I live the vibe over here better
    But they do have some useful information. Too bad you didn't get to spend more time at the campground but there is a three day weekend coming up...

Have a good night everyone!
  • Oh, Nikki's story about steak reminded me of a breakfast idea for you, Aleka. When I was a teenager, I used to go to this steakhouse with my parents. Dad was always a good tipper, so this one waitress would always give us way more food than we were supposed to get. I don't know if it was for the tips or if she had a crush on Dad! Anyway, we always ordered tenderloin steaks. There would be so much left over that we always managed to get a whole steak and baked potato in a doggie bag.

The next morning, we would slice the cold potato and steak real thin, and stir fry it with black pepper, onion and mushrooms and scrambled eggs. It was so good! You could make the same without the potato (and the eggs if they still bother you) and it would be wonderful.
  • Hi,
    Last night for supper we had steak cooked on the GF grill, broccoli cauliflower mix, tossed with some creamy italian salad dressing, a mix of green and yellow beans with some grated Parm. cheese.

Jennifer, my mouth is watering reading about the steak, that sounds delicious, and the eggs would not bother me that way I just had a thought, I could toss some grated cheese into that. HMMMM. I used to love left over boiled potatoes fried the next morning. But, I haven't had a potato is so long, I don't miss them. Thank you for that suggestion.

mauvaixroux, I use the pork rinds for meatloaf instead of bread crumbs, and I also use it for frying sliced turkey breasts. They don't have a strong taste, but when you open the bag, they have a rather strong smell . It almost turned me off on them, but I figured I'd give them a try, and I'm glad I did. The only pasta sauce I have found is a brand called Boves, which is made in Vermont and it only has 2 gm of sugar, but it has oil, which is a no-no to put on pasta, but I can't find much else. It's very hard to find a fat free, sugar free pasta sauce. I use the Paul Newman's dressing. I use the Ceaser dressing and Parmesiano Italiano (my favorite). I don't know if they are legal, but I love them.

Hi nikkic and Anne D Hope you both had a good day yesterday.

Hope you all have a good day. Aleka
  • nikkic,
    I sent you a pm. Aleka