Jazz, Jive, and Jump in July - The wordly chicks are moving the jiggling bits

You're on Page 16 of 21
Go to
  • Oh boy oh boy oh boy. I just LOVE vegetable lasagna. Not crazy about the meat stuff, in fact I could go the rest of my life without meat lasagna and I wouldn't miss it. I do like the cheese stuff but I'd rather have mannicoti instead of cheese lasagna. But make a nice pan of the veggie stuff and you'd better guard it or it will disappear into my tum tum

Ceejay - did you sign up for WW online? I love their tracking tools. Not sure I'd journal as much if I didn't use the points tracker. And it's saved me from many a disasterous dinner too. I certainly hope you get some down time in this weekend. I went and moved my car at lunch and it looks like it's wants to rain. And if it looks like it here, you MUST be getting some Congrats on getting that bloat off.

Annie - I'm afraid to ask what the first thing to go is (she listens with finger stuck in one ear). How long does it take before you get over the "dump syndrome" or does that always stay with you? Why no orange juice either? Of course I drink one OJ once a year and as soon as I couldn't have it I'd want it. Aren't those cookies the ones that they have the urban legend about someone getting charged $200 on their credit card for the recipe? I admit I am a horrible person but I think of the things I'd have to give up if I got GB surgery and even if I only have them once a year, I'm not sure I could do it. I can challenge myself to give up Coca Cola for a week but the idea of forever (even if the alternative is to be sick as sick can be), sends me immediately wanting it. Same logic issues I had giving up the cigarettes but I suppose if I conquered that, I can say I could do anything. That's wonderful news about your nephew. I'm sure you can give him some great tips for continued success.

Mel - I think you should carry beer in those cooler packs. That or homemade moonshine punch. That will quiet the rowdy crowds. thanks for the recipes! I laughed too at Salmon Gravlax (thus proving again that we are sisters separated at birth )

Have fun at the soggy fair Ruth. Sorry you didn't get better weather.

Hello Carla

Hope you are having a good run on the fishing boat Michelle - good weather to you for your weekend plans.

I would talk to Shad but she's asleep right now. So we'll just cover her with a blanket and let her be...

Time to get a quick walk in. Later chicks.
  • Is romaine lettuce considered a leafy green vegetable or does it have to be spinach?
  • Happy....well lettuce is a vegetable, and leafy, so that is 2 out of 3, go for it. hahaha

Yes, keep the finger in the ear, cause yes, that is the first thing to go.... lmao.

Yes, that is the rumor cookies about the 200 buck recipe. Definitely a legend.

hmmm, let's see....the first thing with WLS is you have to change your way of thinking about food. Yes, it WAS my best friend, I had to let that go. You would be surprised at what you don't miss. The stomach surgery messes with your brain as far as food goes. The entire first year, I was NEVER hungry, NEVER even thought about food, and DID NOT miss any of it. Now, tho, I occasionally think about food, still don't miss anything, AND my tastes have changed. I used to not like peanut butter, now I like it. I still don't like chocolate, which is good. Don't miss soda cause I never drank it in the first place. I LOVE LOVE LOVE unsweet iced tea and water. Can't drink too much caffeine cause it will make my tummy hurt. So I drink decaf iced tea. Can't tell the difference. Everything is always what you want more....a can of soda or losing weight. Truly I don't miss anything. I can eat some things (like cookies) but in small quantites, which is probably how everyone should be eating anyway. Some WLS patients can do OJ, just depends on how you react to it. I can eat oranges now with no problem. Still can't do breads and starches much cause they fill me up too fast and I am done. After a year of eating healthy, it is much easier to keep eating that way. Like I said earlier, it is all what you want more in life. and I feel SOOOOOOOOOOOO much better and have so much more energy, I don't want to lose this feeling by eating badly and gaining the weight back. I know, I am babbling, but dang, I can't express enough how much better life is now. I am happy and love life so much more. I feel very blessed to be in the condition.

Love and Hugs

• Spiced Cold Chicken

1 4-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
    1 tablespoon sweet paprika
    2 teaspoons brown sugar
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    Kosher salt and pepper
    1 tablespoon olive oil

Heat oven to 400° F. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and place in a large roasting pan.

In a small bowl, combine the paprika, sugar, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and the olive oil. Rub evenly over the chicken and roast until cooked through, 45 minutes. Serve hot, at room temperature, or chilled.

Yield: Makes 6 servings

CALORIES 177 (66% from fat); FAT 13g (sat 3g); CHOLESTEROL 52mg; CARBOHYDRATE 2g; SODIUM 206mg; PROTEIN 13g; FIBER 0g; SUGAR 1g
  • IN CASE I GO TO THE SUPERMARKET TOMORROW, I AM TYPING NOW. WAITING TILL MORNING TO SEE IF I CAN DO IT OR NOT.

RUTH.....HOPE YOU GET TO ENJOY THE FAIR WITH THE PYPERS AND THE REST OF THE VISIT.

HAPPY....SOMETIMES IT TAKES SOME MIGHTY HEFTY BRICKS TO MAKE US STOP AND LISTEN TO OUR BODIES AND MAKE BETTER CHOICES....THIS FROM SOMEONE WHO NEEDS AN ENTIRE CEMENT HOUSE TO FALL ON HER HEAD! YOU CAN DO THIS! MAKE SMALL CHANGES AT A TIME AND DON'T OVERWHELM YOURSELF WITH A MILLION CHANGES AND GOALS. I AM DOING MUCH BETTER TACKLING ONE THING AT A TIME!
    I AM THINKING OF CARRYING A MAGNUM OF CHAMPAGNE IN MY BACK PACK AND FILLING IT WITH ICE

CEEJAY.....THE GS IS BACK TO HIS OLD NOISY SELF THANK YOU! WAY TO GO ON GETTING BACK DOWN TO THE 184 NUMBER!! I AM GLAD THE WATER IS LEAVING!!

ANNIE....SORRY ABOUT THE "COOLIE ILLNESS"....I HAVE FRIENDS THAT NEVER LEARNED A DANG THING BEFORE OR AFTER THEIR SURGERY. NOW THEY ARE FAT, MISERABLE AND VERY UNHAPPY PEOPLE. VERY SAD. I HAVEN'T HEARD FROM MOST OF THEM IN A VERY LONG TIME BUT I HEAR RUMORS. I AM GLAD YOU ARE AMONG THE HEALTHY ONES AND REAPING THE BENEFITS OFHAVING A NEW "LIFE"

I HAVE A QUESTION....IN THE LASAGNA RECIPE IT SAYS "GRATED CHEESE"...SO IS THIS MOZZARELLA? PARMESAN?? WTF????????? I AM SAVING RECIPES FOR A LATER DATE. MADE A 1 LB MEATLOAF AND MY ARM DAAAMnED NEAR FELL OFF!!
    I HAVE SOME EXTRA CASH AND I AM MAKING ENVELOPES FOR ALL THE KIDS SO THEY HAVE SOME SPENDING MONEY FOR THE COUNTY FAIR. WITH THE GAS PRICES...JEN HAS RUN OUT OF THE MONEY SHE SAVED ALREADY AND RICHIE IS SPENDING TIME AT HIS DAD'S AND COMMUTING TO WORK FROM THERE INSTEAD OF THE TRAILER AGAIN NEXT WEEK NOW TOO. HE FEELS BAD AND IS MISSING THE KIDS AND JEN BUT WHAT CAN THEY DO? NOW HE CALLS AND TALKS TO ME. GUESS HE REALLY MUST BE LONELY! WHAT A DENT THIS GAS CRAP IS MAKING IN OUR TINY FAMILY'S ECONOMY! GOD HELP US!!

HELLO TO SHADDIE...IN CASE I DON'T COME BACK TILL SATURDAY. HOPE THE TEXAS STEAK HOUSE IS AS GOOD AS IT SOUNDED!!
  • According to my calculator, Shad's steak will cost about $14 before tip and taxes, which is really not so bad, especially since our Joy is on an expense account... (Of course, if Shad is like me, she saves a big chunk of the expense per diem to pay for personal trips, renos, new toys....) Anyway, Shad, bon appétit! (I'm having take-out pad thai myself. Yum.)

Tomorrow morning is the last bit of work for me for the next seven weeks. Hurray! Once the conference winds up, I'm off for a rainy internet-free week at a friend's cottage. Then: back to WW and an end to jiggly July.

Happy weekend all! For those travelling, drive safely.
  • Yep the 97000 was IRP and not dollars. I wouldn't pay that for a steak here much less over there. Life is not that good. And yes I do live on my per diem. $80 per day goes a long way in Indonesia. It would probably buy a factory!!! I'll be downloading my pics sometime today, so you might get to see some this weekend. Pictures of smog I mean. We'll see what else comes out. P put his shots onto my card as well so we will get to see lots of different ones this time.

I am home by the way - back in Brisbane. I'll probably toddle off for a nanna nap shortly because I didn't sleep so well on the plane for some reason this time. Mind you - you get on the plane at 9.35pm Singapore time and then have to adjust your time to 12.35 AEST and then the plane gets in at 6.50 so you really only get about 4 hours of sleep by the time they have fed and watered you and you have to go to the loo at least once.
    So a wee nap might be good, then go to the shops and make an appointment for a hair cut (and maybe a real job) and think about where we might go in August - Carla, I don't think that quite cuts it really.

Good to hear from the chicks. I'l be back for personals. Meantime it is time to goannoy the CAT! who is not speaking to me right now. That's not to say that she is struck dumb, but she is not talking to me.
  • Maybe us worldly chicks should just Attempt Abstinence and Activity in August - be it abstinence from booze, idleness, bad food choices, frappucinos... what do you think?
  • HEYYYYYY....LEAVE MY FRAPPUCCINOS OUT OF THIS BUSINESS OF ABSTINENCE !!
    CARLA...ENJOY THE TIME WITH THE FRIEND AND THE COTTAGE. HAVE A GOOD WEEK!!

SHAD.... HOME!! LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING THE PICS. LET ME KNOW WHEN!!!
    HOPE THE NAP WORKED AND SUNDAY HAD A CUDDLE....THAT IS IF SHE IS SPEAKING TO YOU YET!!!

I STAYED HOME CAUSE RICHIE CAME LAST NIGHT TO SHOP FOR ME WHILE I USED HIS VISA CARD TO PAY A $90 NYC "CELL PHONE USE WHILE DRIVING IN THE CAR" TICKET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! STUPID BOY!!!! HE IS COMING BACK TODAY TO PICK UP 2 PJ SETS I BOUGHT JEN AND I PUT SOME EXTRA CASH INTO INDIVIDUAL ENVELOPES FOR ALL 4 OF THEM ALONG WITH A COMPLETE SCHEDULE FOR THE COUNTY FAIR IN AUGUST. IT'S A WEEK LONG. I MADE A TRAVEL PACKET OUT OF ALL THE INFO. THE KIDS HAVE NO INTERNET THERE SO NOW THEY CAN PICK AND CHOOSE THE SIGHTS AND RIDES THEY LIKE ON PAPER.
    NOVEL IDEA HUH? PAPER? WHATEVER DID WE DO BEFORE COMPUTERS
    I AM GOING OUT FOR A BIT. THE WEATHER IS GORGEOUS TODAY. HAPPY FRIDAY/ SATURDAY
  • Oh Carla that sounds perfect! Let's do Attempt Abstinence and Activity in August.

Gez, was up most of the night with dry heaves. I think my iron pills are making me nauseas, cause it only starts after I take the iron. Or it could be the cookie I ate yesterday, heck I don't know.

I did make zucchini bread last night. Was short on veggie oil so I used olive oil to make up the difference. Everyone here at work is gobbling it down like there is no tomorrow, guess it must tasta all right.

Happy Friday all.

Love and Hugs
  • Good morning chicks,

Carla's suggestion for August sounds good to me. I seem to come up short this year on thread titles.

Shad - hope you caught up on some rest. What's the meaning of that comment in parentheses about a real job? I caught that.

Mel, I think in general when they are referring to grated cheese, they are talking about grated parmesan cheese. I think of grated in relation to a hard cheese as opposed to a softer cheese like mozzerella tho I suppose you can go with whatever sounds interesting to you. There was a point in time in WW when they advocated grated hard cheeses as a "legal" flavoring agent. Guess there is little fat in a hard cheese. Hope you get your shopping trip in. Yes, the gas prices are affecting everyone. We are making jokes about having bake sales at work and having a weekly raffle - the winner gets the proceeds and can use it to buy as much gas as they can I also see the grocery prices shooting up because of I assume, increased transport costs.

Annie, that is interesting about WLS messing with the brain. I agree with you about making choices over what you want. I know 2 bad examples of WLS who were unwilling to make lifestyle changes that are an important part of the process. And they both have issues. And it wouldn't surprise me then as you say after 1 year when things level off if they started to gain their way back up again. But that is wonderful that you are finding success for yourself.

Ceejay and Michelle - hope you're enjoying your weekends. The rest of us will join you soon.

The sooner I get my day started, the sooner I can end it so ta ta for now ladies
  • I like Carla's suggestion for August too.

Carla
    A week end retreat sounds good.

Our neighborhood had some excitment this morning. One of the sanitation crew passed out. I saw Frank's truck outside and asked him about it. He said it was one of the newes employee's of the city. More than likely the heat and smell got to him. The ambulance took him away.

More later.
  • Well Ladies it 8 minutes till quittin' time and gettin ready for the weekend. BIG HAIRY DEAL.....

DS is pulling his truck in the truck pulls at the Putnam County Fair tonight, DD and I are going out to the sticks to watch him. I think he is nuts to do it. That truck will fall apart. It is a 1989 Ford, on it's last wheel, so to speak.

Anyway, ya'll have a good weekend, I will try to drop back in Sat or Sun.

Love and Hugs.
  • I am still alive. 5 extra people in my house is way to many lol. Things are going well and I have lost more weight so I updated my ticker. Things are good just busy keeping the house together and getting all the cooking done around here.
  • Oh it is good to be home!!
    It doesn't smell
    The air is fresh and clean
    The sky is blue
    There is no chili in every single dish with an extra bowl on the side
    The cat has conned the kid into believing there was no cat food and she could only eat the chicken breasts he had for dinner. AND they needed sauce!
    The house is reasonably tidy
    TV is in English (mostly - some of it is American)
    Carla is cracking funnies I understand.
    Bacon is made of pork
    And it is Saturday so I don't HAVE to work - even if I will do some later on.
    And best of all, I probably have time to answer some personals.

I got my steak on Friday - on the plane. One of the meal choices was pan grilled fillet steak with roasted shallots and asparagus and jus - buz word for gravy (sort of gravy) and it was sooooo nice. I even complimented the chef. Singapore airlines told me it was loaded in Auckland NZ where their last trip had originated, since there is no revittling in Jakarta - can't think why!!!

Mel - what is with the Kosher salt and pepper in all your recipes? Just asking. Is it a brand associated with the site you get the recipes from or is there really a difference in the salt and pepper.
    The chicken doesn't sound too bad either.
    If lasagna is calling for grated cheese, I would presume it is any variety of cheese you want to use - low fat, tasty, premium, vintage, mozzarella or plain old cheddar. There is no difference really in the fat content of any of the so called hard cheeses and the soft cheeses (brie, camembert etc) its the age that causes the hardening. They are mostly all made from full fat milk. Very hard cheeses like Parmesan and Pecorino have been aged for longer than the brie. Only the 'low fat' cheeses are low fat and even then not completely. But if you want the flavour of the full fat cheese but not all of the fat, mix grated cheese with grated low fat. Half and half will dramatically lower the fat content and not affect the flavour too much. Sometimes on the packet it tells how long the cheese is aged. At least the variety I eat does.
    Has NYC banned the use of mobile phones while driving??? Some commonsense is happening!!!
    What do they light fires with now. Newspapers get read on line, information is found on line, we're told not to print to save the environment - its all on line. My doco this project is on USB memory sticks (1gb now down to $13) so no paper there either.

Carla - suspect you might wish to retract the abstinence on Frappucino, you may have a problem with standing upright against wheelchairs - I live on my per diem while away. The salary goes directly to the savings account. That is how I get to annoy the worldly chicks in person once every couple of years.
    Speaking of which - we might need to have a reunion - not that we have all had a union - next time I turn up on the doorstep. Suggest you all start putting a $ a week away for that one. We would be really rowdy even compared to American standards (especially Ruth). Seems we are in accordance with the months title so we will go with it at the appropriate time. I wonder if I can abstain from Jakarta??? No probably not.

Annie - iron pills can do that. If you bought them over the counter, try another one with a lower dosage. Iron tabs always block me up - not make me nauseous.
    Happy tripping over the weekend.

Happy - it's a joke over here - you send out the teenager, particularly the male variety for a decent haircut and a real job. The inference being that the long dirty looking locks will not get them on the ladder of life. And a real job does not mean playing 3 chords at top volume at top speed on a Saturday night at the local ****(insert whichever dive is appropriate here) while 'waiting' to be discovered.
    Yes I rested well. Didn't wake up properly until 9.00am. So now I will really have to run around with the washing machine going, the lawn mower going, the hedge trimmer going, the vaccuum cleaner going etc. etc. etc. Lucky I don't have a big house and garden hey.

Ceejay - poor man. Hope he is better now.

And I had better hop on me boike (onya boike means to get lost (polite form)) as they say around here and get a few things done today.