40-Something Chat Thread

You're on Page 15 of 81
Go to
  • Hi clydegirl, thank you for responding back to me. I havent been having any luck getting people to respond back to me. I am just looking for a buddy to help me through some tuff times, been going through alot lately and the scales are going up with it.
  • Good morning all... hope everyone has a nice weekend! As for me, I have to work today. We rotate Saturdays and today is mine. BUT what that means is no more Saturdays for 6 weeks.
  • Goldfish!

Everyone's on the same journey here ... jump right into the conversation as soon as you feel comfortable. Are you on any specific plan right now? How's is it going for you?

I lost another 5 lbs. since 9/17. All the walking and proper portions of healthy food are paying off!

Just in time, too, as I was getting strong cravings for bad foods. A little more weight lost banished those cravings and got me all enthusiastic again!

Bought a good pair of walking shoes yesterday. Tried to take the dogs out for walkies yesterday, but was getting the dogs too wet. I had an umbrella, but ... we went home after a block. Walkies BOTH Sat. & Sunday for us!

Hope everyone is doing well.
  • Hi E1,
    Im new here at 3fc and I just wanted to say I wish I had found this site a long time ago.Im 43 I have 2 daughters 17 and 21.I have battled my weight since like forever.It is so great to see all the support people have for each other here. I tried some hiking tonite with hubby.He took me on the trail from ****.I kept telling him to take it easy on me chubby chicks dont do well on jumping rocks LOL.He says you can do this this well he was right I did it after falling in a ditch and slamming my hip and leg and alot of not so nice words I DID IT!!!My hip is on ice as I write but I feel really good about myself. Thanks for listening
  • Good
    luck to all that have daughters getting their drivers permits.i went through it twice my oldest being an angel and my youngest being more of a challenge for me.We went to court last week to fight her first speeding ticket mmm that was interesting.

she ended up with no fine but I really dont think of that as winning because as much as I would like to be I cant be with her to make her slow down.. teenagers so much fun. keep us posted how she does and good luck

i thought a speeding ticket would have

i
  • Hey There Everyone!

It has been such a long time and I have a ton of catching up to do!
    A special hello to all my old friends and a hey how do you do to my new friends !

I am still on the Best Life Plan but have been coasting for the last month as I had an accident and injured (tore the muscles & ligaments) my right arm and then messed up my left hip & lower back. So I am couch bound...but I am now doing some physio/hydro therapy.

As a gift I bought an eliptical trainer thingy to use but according to the doctor it will be a few weeks before I can use the thing.

I have gained 5.5 pounds in as I have been really down and all I have been doing is eating and sleeping and not much of anything else as I hurts to sit and lay down, drive in a car or walk on stairs or just walk...

My goal is to be up and mobile and go out for Halloween with my neices and nephew...as I am sick and tired of feeling sorry for myself. So I am going to start pushing myself...slowly...

I can only type for a while and then my arm goes numb or I'm in pain so...hopefullly I will be back on in the next few days.

Take Care Everyone!

Have an Awesome Thanksgiving to all of you out there who will be celebrating!
  • Ladibug Im on WW. been on it for 2 years. I have just had alot of stress lately, so of course when Im stressed I eat, and all the wrong things. I know I need to start walking again and relieve some of that stress. I really am going to try today.
    Welcome Brenda723, I can relate to alot of what your saying. let me tell you a 16 year old son that is driving and thinks he knows about anything and everything isnt a pleasure to be around either. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!
    Hello Kimush glad to meet you! sorry to hear about your accident. You will be in my prayers.
  • Hey all, glad to see some new faces here (and of course to seem some old friends who have been missed very badly..... Kimush!!!)
    Goldfish, I just wanted to echo the welcomes you have received and also say that we all can relate to having stress and wanting to get that comfort food! Hopefully, coming to this site will help with destressing! There are some wonderful people with wonderful success stories that can really help.

As for me, I've just been so busy lately. I'm going on vacation next Friday, and work has been crazy, so I'm trying really hard to get things somewhat wrapped up by then. I don't have a backup, so it is difficult to leave it. There are others who can pick up on some of it, but there really isn't a lot of help. Too bad... I'm going.

So, we're going elk hunting for vacation like we've done for years. It is so great to get away to no phones, computer, tv, kids.... But, there is a lot of preparation that goes into it, too. So, I'm cooking like crazy this weekend.

My daughter finished up her volleyball this weekend, so that will help some with the amount of stuff we have to do. My son still has football, so that goes a little longer yet. I love the activity, but there isn't much getting done here at home. My mom is coming to stay with the kids while we are gone, so I need to get a little cleaning in. She actually is so great of a mom that she does cleaning while she's here and the kids are at school. But I don't really want to leave all of this mess for her!!

Well, better go. Hope everyone is having a good weekend!
  • Kimush welcome back. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Diane those Rockies are playing well. I don't think I've ever eaten elk. How does it taste?

Goldfish I hear you about the stress. I need to find a way to handle it better.
  • Clydegirl, elk is fantastic. It is a close match to beef, but extremely lean. You have to really be careful as to how you process it in when you are in the field and when you are cutting it up and packaging it. We take extra care to get all of the bones and fat out because that is what makes it taste "gamey". My kids love it. The good thing is that with hunting and the hunting management they have in Colorado, the elk herds are extremely healthy and abundant. Without hunting... and the money that comes from hunting... the herds get out of control and that's when they get sick. There's my plug for hunting!

Anyway, for me it is more about the time that I have to get away. It's so beautiful out there and so peaceful.
  • WOW, This is the first step I guess. This is scary for me.
    I am going to be 44 in Nov. I just sent my oldest away to college in Aug. and I have a soon to be 15 yr old daughter who just started high school. Also I have a 9 year old in 3rd grade. Two BIG dawgs, two cats and a wonderful husband who just don't understand why I can't lose weight. Twice in the past year/year and a half I have lost 30lbs and I felt sooooo good! Why can't I keep it off?? It takes forever to lose it and only weeks to put it back on? As soon as people start telling me that I look good, something tells me that I can eat whatever I want. My biggest problem is......??? I'm not really sure, I'm not even sure being on here is what I need? I know what I need to do, cook better and eat less portions, eat healthy snacks, drink water and excercise. Which I feel that I could do if lived by myself. Why can't I do it everyday...anyway???? My two oldest daughters are very skinny, my youngest needs to lose weight with me, my husband bounces around with his weight but that depends on which week he decides to try and quit smoking. Men seem to be able to lose weight so quickly, and he don't understand why I can't. I don't like myself this way, as a matter of fact I think it is disgusting, but it doesn't keep me from eating when nobody is around. I'm a closet eater, ( i don't literally eat in the closet, I'm not that bad yet) but I can stick something in my mouth when no one is around and feel quilty afterwards, why can't I just say NO??? ...........need help
  • Hi Dina, and welcome! I think you will find a lot of help here in the forum. Just by reading what you posted, I can really relate to having a husband who just doesn't understand why weight loss is so hard. It doesn't mean he doesn't love me, but he just doesn't get it. That's what I have found here... support and encouragement. I was really doing well at first... lost it over the summer and gained some... but now I'm back at it. We all go through ups and downs in this, so you are definitely not alone. I've found that with the 40-something group, we all really understand the complexities, stress, and everything else that comes with this age! Keep posting, keep reading and I think you'll get some help.

I think the best bit of advice is to not beat yourself up for past mistakes. Take it one day at a time and move forward. If you feel yourself failing, come to the website and start reading/posting. There is a lot of great stuff here that can really help!
  • Hi everyone - I posted an intro on the main thread - so I won't repeat here - but just wanted to say hey and glad to be here!

Kristina
  • Hello
    I posted on the introduction thread. I am 43. I just wanted to stop by and say hello. I am once again starting to try and lose weight. I hope to make friends and find helpful information and support here. I have previously lost weight on the Suzanne Somers diet. But I gained several pounds back lately because it hasn't been convenient for me to keep things prepared ahead of time. I don't even know where to start, but I know that I need to get this weight off because I feel tired and sluggish.
  • Thanks, Slashnl, Today was my first step, I think I'll be back. I definitely need support and encouragement. It's hard......

Quote: Hi Dina, and welcome! I think you will find a lot of help here in the forum. Just by reading what you posted, I can really relate to having a husband who just doesn't understand why weight loss is so hard. It doesn't mean he doesn't love me, but he just doesn't get it. That's what I have found here... support and encouragement. I was really doing well at first... lost it over the summer and gained some... but now I'm back at it. We all go through ups and downs in this, so you are definitely not alone. I've found that with the 40-something group, we all really understand the complexities, stress, and everything else that comes with this age! Keep posting, keep reading and I think you'll get some help.

I think the best bit of advice is to not beat yourself up for past mistakes. Take it one day at a time and move forward. If you feel yourself failing, come to the website and start reading/posting. There is a lot of great stuff here that can really help!