Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 03:47 PM   #1  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Default points question

I have thought long and hard about this post. I have struggled for the last year to rejoin WW. I don't have much too loose, I Just really loved the program and found it very easy to follow.

I tried the winning points and found that I would end up binging every few days so I sat down to do the math. I know that there is a formula and that 50 calories per point is an aproximation but I am in the 18-22 range and doing the math my 18 points barely adds up to 900 cals and 22 is not quite 1100. I know I earn points through exercize but I am finding it very low and extreamly difficult to stick to, get in all my healthy foods and some treats.

I am wondering if anyone else is having this issue too.

That said I do think WW is a good program.

be well,
-L
Old 12-05-2001, 04:14 PM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

But because of fiber you caloric intake may be higher since it lowers the points in addition you are not taking into account the calories for all the 'free' veggies they assume you will be eating. In general 50 calories does = 1 point as long as you don't factor in any fat or fiber. Fat increasing the points and fiber decreasing the points.

Post us a general journal day and let us look at it and see what is going on?

I tend to get in 18-20 points a day and be stuffed leaving me with 5-7 points to have a 'sweet treat.'
Old 12-05-2001, 04:42 PM   #3  

L-

According to my book it is 18-23 points(please don't short me a point). I am brand new to WW(3 weeks old) and the 1st two weeks were very easy for me, but then I was in the 20-25 pts range. This is my first week on 18-23 pts and I am having a very hard time--I am finding that it takes all my points to have balanced meals, with none left over for snacks(even fruits) some times. I just figured that I am having a hard time adjusting since this is my first week and that next week will be better(at least I hope so). I weigh in tomorrow so I will see how I did then.

If anyone has any suggestions, I sure could use them
Old 12-05-2001, 04:51 PM   #4  

I lost my weight (about 80 lbs) on the original version of the plan, with 18-25 points/day and very little emphasis on earning additional points through activity. I probably earned 3-4 day most days but didn't pay attention to them.

I tried the Winning Points way, with 18-23 plus activity, but it was, for some reason, much harder than just sticking to 18-25 and ignoring the activity. I've gone back to that system.

Remember that even under 1-2-3, you were assumed to be earning 2 activity points/day (this is not too hard--you probably are doing it). Under WP, you only get those 2 if you document that you earned them.

So you have two choices--document your 2 points/day of activity and add them in to give yourself 18-25 (can be 4 points every-other-day if you prefer), or just GIVE YOURSELF 18-25 and follow the program the way you know it worked for you.
Old 12-05-2001, 04:53 PM   #5  

In my opinion, the WW points ranges should be considered as a rough guideline, and they do not have to be taken as gospel. Find your own level of points that allows you to eat as much as possible while still losing weight. For some of us, that might only be 20 pts/day. For others, though, it could be 30 or more. You won't find out unless you experiment.

Wannabe,

Why not just stay at the same level of points and see how it goes? I doubt anything magically changed inside your body to have reduced your caloric needs. You simply slipped into a new WW weight range, which may or may not apply to you and your specific metabolism.

L144S,

Why not try adding some points to your daily total to see if it helps with the bingettes? It's true that adding lots of vegetables to your diet can help fill you up, but even still it could be that adding a few points for a daily treat could do the trick.

Last edited by Rupertsmom; 12-05-2001 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-05-2001, 05:17 PM   #6  

L-

According to my book it is 18-23 points(please don't short me a point). I am brand new to WW(3 weeks old) and the 1st two weeks were very easy for me, but then I was in the 20-25 pts range. This is my first week on 18-23 pts and I am having a very hard time--I am finding that it takes all my points to have balanced meals, with none left over for snacks(even fruits) some times. I just figured that I am having a hard time adjusting since this is my first week and that next week will be better(at least I hope so). I weigh in tomorrow so I will see how I did then.

If anyone has any suggestions, I sure could use them
Old 12-05-2001, 05:18 PM   #7  

sorry--didnt mean to post same thing twice
Old 12-05-2001, 05:27 PM   #8  

Thanks, Rupertsmom, for the advice! I am such a stickler for rules, for me there is never a grey area, so when they told me to drop to 18-23 pts that is what have been trying to do, but you are right and I shouldnt feel like I have broken a law.

What is this Activity points thing??? I haven't been told about that yet. I am a very active person--I either walk in my neighbor hood or go to the gym and lift weights, walk on treadmill, or take step classes--every day! I very rarely sit still even when at home. Could it be that because of how much I excerise I should be eating more than what they are telling me????
Old 12-05-2001, 05:32 PM   #9  

You'll get the activity points materials at week 4. It's a slide rule that assigns point values based on time/intensity/your current weight. It's not linear, not intuitive, not always easy to figure out how to determine the variables (what is high? what is moderate? how much of the hour I spent on my weight lifting was REALLY activity and how much was sitting?). It is quite possible you've been earning a lot of points which have contributed to your weight loss success.
Old 12-05-2001, 09:43 PM   #10  
Turtle Buddy

Hi,

One other thing to consider is that since you are exercising a lot, you most likely need to eat at a higher point level. You might consider talking with your leader at the next meeting and explain your problem and tell her how much exercise you do. She may be willing to switch the booklets and give you the exercise info early and put off the booklet you're supposed to get now and give it to you in week 4. If that makes sense. The assumption WW makes is that you don't need the activity info before week 4 because most people don't start exercising right away.

Lin
Closed Thread