30-Something's: Let's discuss our kids!

You're on Page 11 of 21
Go to
  • OMG, Megan, that is HILARIOUS!!!
  • hey I have an 8, almost 9 yearold 1/26 and a 1year old just turned 1 on 1/02/08 Ilove love love my kids I have problems out of my girl, I actually think she hates me that girl. And i'm trying to be my sons favorite, but does any one know how unbelievably hard it is when you have an overbearing mother in law/ nana that you have to compete with. that should be another new thread to start for daughter in laws and their kids overprotective,wanna take over, overbearing nannas. That would take me all day!! Anyway it makes want a smoke.
  • [QUOTE=.

Just a FYI here... my kids got a case filled with old "Little Rascals" dvds for xmas. They can't get enough of it. Cracks me up that my three children are hooked watching "the gang." We traveled to Oklahoma the day after xmas so we took a few to watch in the van and I enjoyed watching them as much as the kids did! DH was up front driving and said that we giggled the entire time. They sure do beat all of the crap on Cartoon Network. Check it out and see how your kids react.[/QUOTE]

LOL...my MIL got some Lil Audrey & Lil Lulu dvd's, also tom & jerry at the $ store...the kids think they rock! It's funny you mention Litlle Rascals, MIL was looking for them thinking the kids would like them...do you know where they were purchased?? DH has been watching Three Stooges with them for years...they love that too.
  • My boys LOVE Tom & Jerry!!
  • Add/adhd
    My daughter was diagnosed officially at 4, but she displayed behavior from birth. She never slept and cried all the time for no apparent reason. I thought she had brain damage.
    She is 19 now with a child of her own, and she tells me she still feels her ADD. I don't beleive kids "out grow" it. I think that with Maturity comes a certain level of restraint. What I really beleive happens is that it is diagnosed as a different problem in Adults. Something like Bi-polar disorder. My mother has this disorder. It was ever rough growing up with her.
    I feel that it is so hard to diagnose disorders of brain metabolism because A: docs don't get all the info. When A normally hyper kid is lethargic, Parents don't complain, they count their blessings for a normal day. So later, at the docs office, They don't think to mention it.
    B: general Doctors have no idea what they are dealing with. Neurologists feel it is beneath their specialty. The kids are lost in the middle.
    But that is my opinion based on 18 years of rollercoasters and spinning tea cups. We wnt one day at a time and all is well for the moment.
  • Dangergirl, totally agree with you! (don't have time right now to elaborate, I'm at work!)
  • yep, I agree also Dangergirl. Docs don't have all of the answers. However, they've come a long way from where they were 10 years ago. I always feel so thankful to live in this current time as care has never been better. I also had a comment about the ADD/ADHD. We were hesitant to put our son on medication but DS's psychiatrist (whom I completely respect and trust) told us that he has many adult patients who are ADHD and their way of dealing with things is thru self medication. Self destructive behavior; drugs, alcohol, food, sex, I just hope and pray that we don't have to go down that road.
  • Pam ~ sorry for not responding earlier about the Little Rascals... MIL told me that she got thd dvds thru the internet. She couldn't remember the name of the company. She googled "Little Rascals shows" and went with one of the first ones that popped up. There are 11 dvds in the case and a total of 88 shows (!).
  • mother of 5
    I have five kids, 11,10,9,8 and 7. My oldest has Autisum and somedays it is such a struggle. Well, all my kids can be. LOL!! I love being a mom, but sometime it is really hard to divide my time with all of them, plus my husband. I do thank God for them though!!!
  • I was wondering if any one in here knows of an eating disorder in children that makes them want to eat ALL the time, my sister talked to me about it and she couldn't remember the name of it, but she wants me to call her DIL and talk to her. my daughter is 9 (this tuesday HAPPY B DAY KORT!!!) and she said the other day that she did weigh 120 but we've been eating healthier and she says so far she's lost 9 lbs, which is great. but she still....STILL wants to tank up on .......crap, AKA chips with dip and lots and lots and lots of dip(ranch dressing) sweets just junky unhealthy foods I blame my MIL, because she has always given my daughter crap mostly,never tried to teach her healthy ways just shove that ice cream and chips and fried chicken in her face all day long.When Kort was 1 1/2 , 2 and 3 yrs old me and DH would come home from work and get home then later that night, be up with her throwing up where my MIL would tank her up all day with junk and she's told us time and time again(if we say anything) to leave her and her granddaughter alone. I don't know what else to do... I have a 1 year old which is where I got my name "shelbysmom" and she has already said 2 or 3 times that we need to fatten him up a little bit"he needs to gain weight" he weighs 22 lbs and that is average for a 1 yr old and when I look at pics of my girl when she was that age, compared to my son she looked like a little sumo wrestler, bless her heart. And I will be d***** if I let that woman get the best of my 2nd and last child. I think that's how she shows she loves them, I mean the times she's watched him so far,everytime i would come up stairs(I work in her basement,BTW) THERE SHE'D SIT WITH SHELBY IN HER LAP FEEDING HIM EITHER CHIPS OR COOKIES OR ICE CREAM..What am I gonna do you all? I love my MIL and I don't want any trouble with her, BUT,these are my kids, not hers and I just feel so powerless. But I really do need some advice on the eating disorder, I almost kinda feel like my little girl might be getting picked on by my side of the family because she's big(Like her mommy). Sorry to vent so much....
  • Shelbysmom ~ I've never heard of this disorder. Have you googled it? Your mother-in-law is showing her love for your children by filling them up with JUNK. That is so sad. Seeing your little one throwing up because of eating so much junk has to break your heart. Hubby and you have to sit down and have a heart to heart with MIL. She is setting them for all sorts of health issues down the road; if not already. We keep a bowl of fresh fruit on the countertop 24/7 and my kids will eat it because it's sitting right there in front of them. They'd eat far more junk if I let them but I don't keep a lot of it on hand. Not good for me or them. I know that it's hard to discuss this sort of thing but she is doing so much damage. If it were me, I'd seriously consider getting another babysitter. Good luck!
  • My Angels (or when I am not dellusional my KIDS)
    I think I like this thread.
    I am the single mother of 2, one 16 year old boy and one 12 year old girl.
    I love my children but lord I have come to realize why some wild animals eat their young!!!
    I have worked all their lives and strived to give them what they needed and also wanted now I am looking back and thinking "when they are older are they ever going to realize what I went through to give them those Abercrombie clothes and this nice house and a car to drive???"
    It is driving me nutso right now!!!! I am trying to get the 16 year old to get a job but he tells me he does not have the time and I will admit that he has alot gong on. Mainly colleges are already scouting him for scholarships to come and play collegiate soccer for them. Which means that if he is not with his trainer or at the gym he is studying for all of his honors classes. However I think he can fit some type of job in there even if it is flipping burgers for 10 hours aweek.
    Then my little girl or shall I say my PRE TEEN (as she calls herself.... WHERE do they get this crap????) is the social butterfly of her school. She is also ADHD and is trying to stop taking her meds.... arghhhhhh no wonder I binge eat!!!! lol
    Anyway, I would not trade either of them for the world. They teach me new things everyday and always seem to know how to put a smile on my face.
    Ok well lunch time is about over to back to work for me... ohhh so exciting!!!!
    Talk to you chickies later!
  • to Shelby's mom
    Shelbys mom. There is such a disorder, but it is a disfunction of the pituitary or hypopituitary gland. This is where the signal to the stomach comes from- the one that says "I'm full". It is called Prader-Willi Syndrome. It is rare and Genetic. Hope that gets you in the right direction
  • I am new
    My daughter, Emma, was born on 12/5/07. We found out when she was 7 days old that she has Cystic Fibrosis. She was diagnosed through Newborn Screening. It was quite a shock. She is our first child and will be our only child.

She is a beautiful baby. She is doing great. Gaining weight and becoming more alert every day.

We have to do some things to keep her healthy, because of the CF. She has to take enzymes with every meal (bottle) to help her body digest the food. We put these in applesauce and feed it to her off of our finger before she gets a bottle. She has to get a liquid vitamin every day because her body has trouble digesting some vitamins. She also has to have 2 nebulizer treatments every day. After each treatment, we have to do some pounding on her chest and back. She does not have any lung problems, but people with CF can/do suffer from mucus build up on their lungs. So we do this as a preventative thing. To keep her from having lung problems.

Other than the things I mentioned above, she is a normal, happy, healthy little baby. I would not trade her for anything in the world!
  • Margarita, welcome and congrats on your baby girl! I'm sorry to hear of the challenges ahead of you, but it sounds like you've got a good handle on the situation!