General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2001, 09:32 AM   #16  

Angry hello

2bfit1 Thank you, i have seen this site all over the place but i have never gone there, guess it is time. i will check it out.
Old 06-07-2001, 05:53 PM   #17  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Hope you don't mind me throwing in another 2cents

I read quite a few books before I chose to go on Sugar Busters. I read Suzanne Sommers book and decided that food combining just wasn't for me, I wanted something simple, healthy and that made sense.

I chose SB over all the "diet books" I looked over, it made sense, and despite what people think, it's NOT a low-carb diet at all, a huge misconception.

SS & the SB concept where actually taken from Michael Montignac's book which was printed in France. He's really the one who started the whole low GI lifestyle. The Schwarzbein Principal is an interesting read, esp the Preface, but her "diet" is even more strict I think.

As MS.JIM said, there is not a single diet out there that works for us all, so you need to find one that you know you can easily follow and one you can do indefinitely. For many, WW is ideal, but not for me, I don't lose on it after the first couple weeks, not matter how hard I try. Each time they came out with a new version, I jumped back on it. BUT, the good news is, there is a healthy WOE you will be able to follow and lose weight!

For me personally, SB has been wonderful. I've been on it 14 1/2 months-I haven't cheated a single time, no desire to eat off plan, I don't feel like I'm missing anything. BUT, what I can tell you that is more amazing to me than the weight loss is, not once since I've been on this have I eaten out of emotions. I've always been an emotional eater, now I can say I was an emotional eater. Something with taking out the sugar from my eating made a big difference. This WOE is just that, a WOE that I need never to go off of. I have 3lbs to go til I hit goal, and I feel great-what more can I ask for?!?

Anyhow, I wish you and everyone else who ventures onto this board great luck-you can do this, if your heart is truly into it. Don't do it for anyone else but yourself, otherwise, you won't succeed, I know this from experience. You'll know when the timing is right, that little light bulb will come on and you'll be ready.

GOOD LUCK!

Debbie
194/132/129
SB since 3/22/00
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...php?forumid=62
Old 06-07-2001, 08:14 PM   #18  

Angry hi debbie

wow you are almost at your goal, it must be a great feeling to finally find something that works for you. i have been trying the no diet approach, ya know just eating less and making healthier choices. but i really know that i am a carbo addict. i really didnt want to try another way of eating, i have never read sugar busters, i cant take going on another eating plan and failing again. i hope one day i will get as lucky as alot of people in here that are doing so well and finally had their light bulb moment, although i thought i had mine so many times before.
Old 06-09-2001, 10:21 PM   #19  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

WILLBETHIN, you'll do it, you'll find the right way for you and you'll be where I am-don't you worry. You just need to find the right plan for you, be patient and the rest will come.

Try to see if you can get some of the books mentioned out of the library. That's what I did, instead of buying these books. It's really a good way to see what's out there.

One thing I can say about SB is that many of the gals on our board are on this WOE due to their Dr.'s suggesting they follow it-not many Dr.'s recommend many "diets" out there these days, so that says something. My Uncle is a very well known internist and he also highly recommends a low glycemic diet to his patients.

Check out this great site by someone who is a follower of SB, some great info on there, just click on the link below:

http://www.prettyimpressivestuff.com/sugarbusters/

Debbie
Old 06-10-2001, 10:23 AM   #20  

Angry thanks guys

thanks for the incentive and support. i am doing better i am changing my eating habits slowly, making better and healthier choices, i know i will do this, it is just going to take time. i am going to check out the books when i go the the library, thanks for the website, also. hope everyone else is doing good. how about you somersizers, how are you doing???
Old 06-11-2001, 03:59 PM   #21  

Willbethin, I was somersizing this past year. I was expecting to lose a lot of weight, but I only lost 12 lb. Whenever I would eat a protein breakfast an hour or so later I would feel nausious also, then my hands would start to shake. Then I would eat a whole wheat cracker and my hands would stop shaking and the nausea would go away. Now when I have eggs I usually skip the bacon and have 2 pieces of whole-wheat toast. The only good thing I can say about this WOE is eating a lot of fruit and vegetables. Also, my cholesterol went way down as did my triglycerides. I have since gone off this WOE, I have gained back the 12 lb., but I just can't seem to get motivated to eating that way again. I am thinking of joining Weight Watchers, hopefully for the last time.
I wish you luck with whatever eating plan you choose. Aleka

Last edited by aleka; 06-11-2001 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-11-2001, 06:46 PM   #22  

Angry hi aleka

that was great that you lost 12 lbs, but i am sorry it crept back up again. i think i finally found how i am going to eat for the rest of my life. i am giving up dieting, i am just eating normal portions of what ever i am in hte mood for. if pasta says 2 oz is a serving than that is what i have with a salad and ff pudding. i really dont measure or count calories or fat grams. i try to balance my meals now ya know carbs, protein veggies, i dont always, do it that way, but i have the option of having anything i want whenever i want to. i am not perfect, but that will take time. i have been on and off different eating plans for the last 2 months, and i have gone from 189 to 182. now i am not going to try any more, i am just choosing healthier, foods, trying to get more veggies in, i am not a fruit eater. i am hooked on veggie burgers, i know i tasted some that were pretty awful, but i found one , it is tomato and basil pizza burger, it is so good. i eat french fries, frozen baked in oven, with pam oil sprayed on them so they are not dry, and i only eat what a serving is, about 15 of them, and i eat them with veggie nuggets, but i will have a reg. burger, once in a while,i do snack on lowfat pringles, but not the whole box. i am rambling, i am just so happy, because i am free of diets. i am in control. and if i have a bad day, which hasnt happen yet, i dont turn it into a 2 day binge, because i failed another diet, i just go back on the next day. i have a journal on diettalk.com if you would like to chat more. i also post on the no diet approach board in that same web site. good luck you will find it, i never thought i would. i want to get down to 125 so i still have a ways to go.
Old 06-12-2001, 12:15 PM   #23  

Default Hi Willbethin

That is great you losing 7 lb. I'm sure you will meet your goal in no time. What other eating plans were you on besides somersizing? I've been on so many I can't even count. My favorite one was the eating program Dr. Art Ulene (sp?) had on the Today Show a few years ago, where you ate only when you were hungry, ate very slow, and stopped when you were full. I lost weight on that eating plan too. I used to make a game out of how much I could leave on my plate. I honestly do not want to join WW, but I'm afraid that if I don't the weight will not come off. I like your plan, the no diet way. On the days that I feel like that, I really do feel free and I automatically eat healthy foods. I want to lose about 30 lb., but I will be happy with re-losing the 12 I've gained. Maybe we could help each other out with the non-diet approach. I'm even feeling freeier thinking about it. I have read a very good book, "The 7 Secrets of Slim People". Their approach is to listen to your body as to what it wants to eat, eat only when hungry, and stop when you are full. The veggie burgers are awesome! I forget which brand I used to buy, but my favorite one was a spicy bean. I do have a box of Boca Burgers in my freezer, but haven't cooked any yet. HMMMM, you have given me an idea for supper tonight. Aleka
Old 06-12-2001, 03:40 PM   #24  

Angry hi aleka

i never heard of the dr ulene??? but all i know is what i am doing is working right now. tomorrow isnt here yet but if i get through tomorrow it will be one week without a binge. i dont even think about bingeing. i even went to the park today with my daughter and mcdonalds is right near it, we usually go right there after the park, and i didnt want to today. i packed my daughters lunch, and i brought sunflower seeds with the shells and some water in case i got hungry. i was there about and hour and a half and started to hear tummy growl. had some sunflower seeds and my water, and came home and ate lowfat hotdog w/ a little cheese, no bun and these mashed potato nuggets, that are frozen from real potatoes, in microwave, no fat, i had them with salt pepper and spray butter. i dont know what is going on but whatever i have been eating fills me up and i am satisfied. i guess it was my time to finally wake up and take control. i was on ww twice, it is a very good program, but i was always hungry on it and i was always thinking about how many points i had left for the day. then i would starve all day , and save points for a big dinner, i wasnt learning how to eat on that. it does work for some people and i did feel in control when i first started it. i cant even name everything i have been on or how much money i spent, including the low carb ones too. i am done. i hope you find out what you want to do,i just recently did, beleive me i never thought i would wake up. sure i would like to see how you are doing.
Old 06-13-2001, 11:20 AM   #25  

Default Hi Willbethin!

You really do seem in control and that is really good. That's great about you not wanting to go to McDonalds. I have joined WW more times than I want to admit. The last time I was at WW they were doing the FAT & FIBER program. I lost some weight on that, but I got very sick with bronchitus and missed quite a few meetings, so I stopped going. I am hesitant to join again because I am afraid to eat for fear of not losing weight that week, plus I am not very good at tracking my points, as I have tried to do that on my own. I get Womans World magazine and I saved a recipe for minestrone soup from their diet plan page. I made it this past weekend. It makes a huge amount, which I froze a good portion of. It is very filling. I hope everything is still going well for you. I really think this WOE is something I want to do because it feels right. Aleka
Old 06-13-2001, 12:59 PM   #26  

Smile hi aleka

sounds like your attitude, is up today, that recipe sounds yummy. ya think you could give it to me??? i tried to do ww on my own too, i just spent my points on all carbs and junk, and usually went over points, then just quit and pigged out. i had a good breakfast today, but at lunch time, i had a veggie burger,and was craving fried food, so i had some frozen tator tots baked in oven. so for lunch i had a total of 14 fat grams, i am not really counting, but i had to look. i will try to eat a healthy dinner, but with this way of eating i am not depriving myself, i really wanted them so i ate them, i ate what the bag said it was a serving, so i didnt pig out on them. lets just try to eat healthy. we can do this. do ya wanna start a new thread on the support board??? since neither of us is somersizing. let me know, and we can start on our next post. let me know how you are doing i will do the same. day i weigh in is on fri. morn, so i will see if my healthy way of eating is paying off. if not i might have to change it a bit. i will look on my journal and see how i ate for the week.
Old 06-14-2001, 11:57 AM   #27  

Default Hi Willbethin!

Sure, starting a new thread sounds good. How did you do last night? I did very well all day and today is going well too. Last night a couple hrs. after supper I got a little hungry, so I had a very small dish of sugar free ice cream. I was very much surprised how satisfied I was with that little dish. I usually have a HUGE bowl!! This morning I had cooked egg beaters with some diced peppers, turkey bacon, and 2 pieces of whole-wheat toast. That stayed with me all morning. I am planning on having a salad for lunch, and where it is so hot here today, a turkey sandwich for supper. I'm just thankful that my husband doesn't mind eating the way I am, although I do give him larger portions.
Here is the recipe for that soup I made. When I made it I omitted the carrots and the cabbage and added the veggies that I like. Also, I used frozen veggies, nuked them, then put them in the soup.
Miracle Minestrone Soup:
2 onions, chopped
12 cups Vegetable Broth
3 lb. green beans, cut into 1" pieces
6 carrots, sliced
4 zucchini, cut in half lengthwise & sliced
1/2 green cabbage, chopped, (about 4 cups)
2 cans (28 oz.) whole tomatoes packed in juice, coarsly chopped
2 teasp. salt
1 teasp. each, basil, thyme, & oregano
1/2 teasp. each crushed red pepper flakes & pepper
2 cans (15 oz.) red kidney beans
Coat large saucepan with cooking spray. Over med. heat cook onion until tender, 5-8 min. Add broth, green beans, carrots, zucchihi, cabbage, tomatoes and their juice, & next 6 ingredients. Over high heat, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 min. Add beans & heat through, about 3-4 min. Makes 16 cups. Per cup: 67 cal., 5 g. fiber, 1 g. fat
Good luck with your weigh in tomorrow. I will weigh myself too. Aleka
Old 06-14-2001, 07:59 PM   #28  

Angry hi aleka

i will post new thread on support, i will answer your post, see you there
Closed Thread