Herbs and Spices

• Buy them in bulk at your local health food store. Even if you don't normally shop there, it's worth the trip. You can buy just a smidgen or a cup, however much you want and measure it into a little bag, and it costs just a tiny fraction of what you'd pay at the supermarket. It's also much, much fresher and better tasting
  • I love buying bay leaves this way. They weigh so little they are almost free I also get all my flours, dried beans and grains in bulk. It's nice to buy the amount I need without paying a premium for a small package.
  • Herbs? Grow your own. A few pots and you are in business. I snip leaves every day to add to my food....they make something bland a feast!
  • Did you know that a few bay leaves keeps those little flying moth things out of your cupboards?
  • Last night I made my favorite meal--tacos! I crave them. But wouldn't you know it, I did not have the usual seasoning packets that I use. But I was able to use the spices in my cupboard to recreate it. I have never had the confidence to try that before. I'm now thinking that I have underestimated myself all along. BTW, the tacos were excellent and hit the spot.
  • rosemary is easy to grow, we have some in our apt growing in the window in a pot. it smells fantastic. bf has much more of a green thumb than I do, he actually even grew green peppers from seeds from one bought at the grocery store, we got a bunch of (small) peppers from that.
  • Quote: rosemary is easy to grow, we have some in our apt growing in the window in a pot. it smells fantastic. bf has much more of a green thumb than I do, he actually even grew green peppers from seeds from one bought at the grocery store, we got a bunch of (small) peppers from that.
    Hi! I'm in NYC too and I was wondering how they hold during the winter. Do you have them close to a window?

I really want to have some pots with fresh herbs, I do have a small patio but the problem is I'm on the third floor so is not easy keeping an eye, specially keeping an eye on my neighbor's kitties.

Thanks!
  • I'm in the Catskills (usually about 10 degrees colder than the city). I have a beautiful old rosemary. I put it on my porch in the summer, and in an unheated entranceway with good light during winter. It likes the cold, but not freezing.
  • Valentine's day is comming, so I thought it might be fun to list some herbs spices and scents that are thought to be aphrodisiacs:

First, According a study.. men like: pumpkin pie and lavender (together)
    women: coconut and "good 'n plenty" (candy smell)

My favorites are Cardamon, Rose, Sandalwood, Orange Blossom and Jasmine.
    What turns you on ?
  • I added some chopped cilantro to my salad greens today. I love the smell on my hands after I make fresh salsa.
  • I've tried growing herbs a couple times and I'm not the greatest at it

Also, I use a wide variety of spices. One of my tips would be to get with a friend or two and buy spices at an Indian market. You can get a large bag of spice for only a couple bucks. It will last forever though so you might want to split with a friend.