Old 01-12-2008, 06:44 PM   #16  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Re: the spray bottle... Our dog isn't responsive to water (he's like, "HEY! Water water water water! Yay!"), but when we put a little but of apple cider vinegar in with the water, he soon learned not to mess with the blue spray bottle (he's definitely a cattle dog- a jumper, nipper, and herder).
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:02 PM   #17  

Day 1
Well, I'm ignoring him tonight (following a long trip to visit family). He's given up and now is quite (only took 3 hours). Repeat tomorrow, plus planning a long walk before the snow comes in the evening and we're housebound on MOnday.

Last edited by JerseyGirl69; 01-12-2008 at 09:06 PM.
JerseyGirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:05 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

great job jersey!!!!!! there ya go. It happened faster than i thought. But keep up the great work!
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:44 PM   #19  

3 hours is fast? LOL.

He didn't get a Pig's ear again today (Day 2). Tonight we had a long walk in the park before dusk, and he enjoyed it--loves when I change it up and go someplace different.

I did have a peanut butter flavored dental chew (like a Nylabone?) and he is enjoying that right now, but that's it for of those kind of treats. What do you think of Nylabones, Doc?

I'd like to try a marrow bone as a "treat" to replace the pig's ear's. Good idea?
Old 01-13-2008, 08:51 PM   #20  

nylabones are okay.usually not problamatic. As for marrow bones...they can be good..however 1. won't help with the weight problems and 2..alot of small breeds can develop pancreatitis from it. My dog gets one once and a while, but she's a 75 lb mutt with an iron stomach. So you can try it...but it may be a problem..esp when it comes to the weight loss which you are trying to get done.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:16 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

wow. Good job so far! I know how hard it is to ignore a beloved pug!!

Our pugs seem to like the nylabone types that have ridges and textures and aren't smooth...
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:26 AM   #22  

OK on the issue of the bones. I did find last night that it busied him for hours, hours longer than any other treat he's ever had, and there isn't that much meat on them, so in a sense, I'm glad I found something to get his attention. At least it may prove a better alternative when chosen than the pig's ears in terms of potential harm. As for the weight, I do wonder if the ears have more impact than the bones would.

Anyway, it's a.m., I'm working from home and he's whining because he wants more food. Trying to ignore it. Will walk him instead, then ignore.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:46 AM   #23  

yes the pigs would have more issue on weight than bones...if the bones only have a small amount than ok...but pigs ears are very high in calss.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:14 PM   #24  

GatorGal, thanks for all your input. I'm finding that the bones keep him happily occupied longer than the ear's ever did, so that's a good replacement. It's not that he "needs" treats, I know, but I do think boredom is an issue and heck, I've walked the heck out of this dog and it's never enough to dissuade him from wanting something...but the bone seems to. Mickey is not like other toy breeds--he loves to walk for hours and miles, and just doesn't tire of it.

He's working again on the bone, most of the marrow gone but happily attacking it anyway. This is good for me because it's 3 hours or more focused on chew, chomp, struggle, on something other than potentially my new kitchen cabinet where he thinks there's food. And I can focus on my work. I'm thinking that it will prove better in the long run since the ears are so caloric, and will give me a good tide-over. KWIM? So maybe it will help him lose weight AND be busy?
Old 02-18-2008, 10:36 AM   #25  

S/C/G: HW 226/ CW217/ GW 145

Height: 5'4

Hi there everyone. I to have a wonderful little pug.. Mine likes to chew everything he can fit in his mouth!! My dogs ( one pug and one mix of something) each have a beef bone. the marrow is long gone, I have put peanut butter inside it to keep them busy. Is that okay? I put about a tablespoon just inside one of the ends and they lick it out and then chew on it for ever.
mommamurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:42 AM   #26  

S/C/G: HW 226/ CW217/ GW 145

Height: 5'4

I have a picture now.. This is my baby Charlie!!
mommamurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:48 PM   #27  
Lose Weight in 2008!

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommamurray View Post
I have a picture now.. This is my baby Charlie!!
He's so cute! My Baby is in my siggy.
BabyNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:18 AM   #28  
~Rena~

S/C/G: 361.4/222.4/150

Height: 5'6"

I have a XL pug as well! He weighs about 28 lbs. ( Pugsy also has a friend at the "Pug Parties" that is also XL, we think the mom might be related some how. ). Our vet said for his height his weight is alright but is on the verge of becoming overweight.
One costly solution would be to get another Pug (tee hee). It seems Pugs are better in 2's (I'm getting Pugsy a friend from the Pug rescue in June). So many pug owners I've met have 2 or more. This may curb his boredom as he will have someone to play with...
You can also try and google "frozen dog treats". I made some for Pugsy last summer and he really enjoyed it. You freeze some rice milk in an ice cube tray (I think you mix in peanut butter as well), and put a low-fat doggie cookie in the middle. Freeze. Put it in a shallow dish and it should last him a while.
Good Luck (I know it's so hard to resist those big round eyes!)
betty grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:22 AM   #29  
~Rena~

S/C/G: 361.4/222.4/150

mommamurray-your pug charlie looks exactly like Pugsy (just smaller tee hee), Black and beautiful!!!!
betty grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #30  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Oh I love pug talk! I also have a big old pug; his name is Bubba. He's tall and just generally a big pug, but as he's getting older, he's also getting a little more weight than he needs...he's about 25 lbs. He doesn't really look fat though. Gotta love pugs!

Jersey...it sounds like the suggestions here are really working out for you, that's great. I know how hard it is to resist a pug and his sad face!
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote