Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 06-07-2006, 09:45 AM   #1  
Running Babe

Default Nursing Bras

I have a slight problem when it comes to nursing bras... the cups are all too big for me (I am very small chested, even pregnant...I know, let's start playing the violins ).

Anyway I know not everyone who nurses use nursing bras, so I wonder what kind of bras do you use? I purchased some soft-cup bras with no underwire that I can easily pull down, would this be sufficient?

Cheers!

Ali
Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

If you are not full chested, then the style of bras that are sometimes called "sleep bras" or "leisure bras" should work just fine for you. They sell them at Motherhood and other maternity shops, but they also sell them in regular lingerie sections.

They are usually soft cup, with sort of the "crossover" style in the front, where one cup can easily be pulled aside to nurse. Another option that would work well for you would be the nursing camisoles, or the stretchy lycra-cotton camisoles that have the "built in shelf bra" in them. They are really easy to wear in place of a bra when you are sleeping, or under a button up shirt, etc. to give you easy access to the breast.
The actual nursing camisoles can be bought pretty cheap at Motherhood and other stores, and in some Targets and Meijers in the intimates section. They open with the clasp at the strap like a nursing bra. Otherwise, the regular shelf bra camisoles would work fine for you as well-you would just pull an entire front side down to nurse.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:28 PM   #3  
resident lactivist

Well, I am not small chested, but I do indeed just wear normal softcup bras. What I have right now is an Unbra from Decent Exposures, which is made much like a sports bra. I just pull the bra up off of my boob and stick the kid on it. (The boob, that is, not the bra.)
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:35 PM   #4  

I am pretty large chested (DD when pregnant and nursing), and find that I really actually do have to break down and get good nursing bras-and for daytime wear, they also have to be underwire. Underwire bras aren't as easy to pull down like a soft cup would be.
Soft cups just don't support me well during the day so I don't usually wear the-I end up looking like I have a sack of potatoes in my shirt. My bra requirements are underwire, 3-4 hook closures in the back (not flimsy ones with 2), and thicker straps made for heavier chests-no thin, stretchy ones that will break down in a few weeks under the weight of my chest. This is for nursing and regular bras...

I do take a break from the underwire at night, but I do sleep in the sleep bras or shelf bra camisoles at night-this is all of the time, not just when pregnant and nursing. I need at least *some* support at all times, and I am also a "leaker" who has to wear nursing pads...so I have to have something on to hold them in place.

A close friend of mine co-slept, and she never leaked milk, and went completely braless at night-she didn't even have to really "wake up" for her daughter to nurse once she got to be 7+ months old. I was so jealous-I told her I would have boobs down to my naval, and a wet bed every night if I tried that.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:59 PM   #5  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil
A close friend of mine co-slept, and she never leaked milk, and went completely braless at night-she didn't even have to really "wake up" for her daughter to nurse once she got to be 7+ months old. I was so jealous-I told her I would have boobs down to my naval, and a wet bed every night if I tried that.
Now wouldn't be the time for me to mention that I sleep bra-less at night, would it?

I prefer soft-cup nursing bras in the day though. Easier to manage when out and about...which is 99.9% of the time. And I could never ever get used to an underwire. The guy that invented them must be the same sadistic creep who invented the high heel.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:08 AM   #6  
resident lactivist

I'm wearing a 38J now, but have heard that underwire nursing bras increase the risk of plugged ducts/mastitis, so I've only ever worn softcups. The first time around I did leak quite a bit; I learned to keep a towel handy. But I don't find bras comfortable, so I wear them only when I have to. (And I do sag, but hey it makes for easier nursing. ) Mine are also very good at latching on while we both sleep; they usually get the hang of it around 3 or 4 months. Keeps life simple for me, that's for sure. (Until they get older and start actively competing for the bed, that is!)
Old 06-08-2006, 08:07 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostheaven
I prefer soft-cup nursing bras in the day though. Easier to manage when out and about...which is 99.9% of the time. And I could never ever get used to an underwire. The guy that invented them must be the same sadistic creep who invented the high heel.
That is so strange, because I have always preferred the underwire. I find that the main key with them is that:

~You are actually measured to be sure that you are getting the right size. If your band size is a size smaller or larger than what you actually should be wearing, or your cup size-then the underwire won't sit in the correct place, and you will have places where it rubs, pinches, etc.
~It is a good bra-a supportive one with good cups, sturdy wire, good sturdy straps, etc.-not a $8.00 "pretty" one from Wal-Mart.

GBMM-Yes, ill fitting underwire bras can cause problems with mastitis, etc. but it is mainly during the first 2 months, when you tend to get more engorged, and when you body is still regulating the supply and demand of the milk.
After your body gets more in tune to the baby, and you don't have as many issues with engorgement, etc.-it isn't really a problem at all. During the first month-6 weeks, I don't go out much anyhow since I am still recovering and learning the baby's "natural" schedule, so during that time I wear the sleep bras a lot all of the time. It is really after that period, when I start getting back to feeling myself, that I actually wear clothes, and not pajamas. (and wear underwire bras.)

I am so jealous of you all who can nurse and not worry about leaking. Jeez...I can be in the line at the store, hear a baby cry, and there she goes!!!! I bet with my kids I went through about 6 pairs of nursing pads a day on average. I also tend to forcefully let down on both sides when the baby is only starting on the fFIRST. I have to wear the pads, and then have to do that trick where I press in on my nipple/breast to get it to stop.

It is also very, very personal...and probably too much information, but I also tend to leak during private time with DH, if you catch my drift. That was an embarassing moment the first time that happened.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:51 PM   #8  
No description available.

I always just wear sports bras and scoot them up, along with the bottom of my shirt. I never bought anything special for breastfeeding, although I too am on the smaller side and can understand that other women might need better bras.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 07:45 PM   #9  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

It's not that the underwires "rub" per se...they're just...uncomfortable. They're hard. Clothing shouldn't be hard. LOL Well, except maybe for shoes.

Anyway, I wear a 34C right now...used to b a B. And I bought all these nursing pads pre-birth. Gave em away unopened. Used to worry I wasn't producing enough. At first I didn't, but he seems to get plenty now. But they still don't leak at all.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:33 PM   #10  
resident lactivist

I don't miss my leaking days, I'll tell you that! I still remember the time I was in the dressing room at K-Mart nursing my oldest--and in the big handicapped stall (there was no one else there), no less--and she popped off and I squirted milk clean across the stall.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:29 AM   #11  
Running Babe

Thanks ladies for all the advice!
Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote