Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 08-14-2011, 12:39 AM   #16  
started out 6/30/10

Height: 5'2"

So glad to see everything is working out! I had to use a nipple shield for six stupid months. One day DS took it off, tossed it aside, and started nursing like a champ. Nipple shields suck, but they allowed me to nurse and it sounds like they're doing the same for you. You should feel so proud- nursing with a tongue-tie isn't easy.
Quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:20 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 194/ see ticker /115

Height: 5'3

Same story here. Anatomy problems.

1st baby: sweet, but bad lactation consultant. Breast fed for 11 months, but formula supplemented. Almost lost my mind doing all of these extra crazy things. Never got any sleep.

2nd baby: Good lactation consultant. No formula or finger feeding ever. Just a half-nipple shield used as 'training wheels'. Latched properly that same day after 'training' with the shield.

Last edited by kifli; 08-15-2011 at 01:22 AM.
kifli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 177/153/135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I wanted to send my thoughts and care electronically. I nursed both boys (now 12 and 10). I had a special circumstance as I had had breast reduction surgery years earlier (by a doc who tried to preserve my ability to potentially nurse). I was a miserable wreck with very poor network, support, information. The hospital sent a male nurse who I showed my expressed milk to (I don't know why) and he said that can't be milk (what else is it if it comes from a breast?). I ended up never properly nursing my first son and pumped all my milk for him for his first year (yes, it sounds and was hard but super glad I did it).

For my second son, I was blessed with an amazing midwife, pediatrician, and awesome lactation consultant across the street at the birth center I'd given birth at. I gave myself over to my Nepali husband who fed me Nepali herbs for milk production (think Asian style fenugreek). I had more time, more support, and experience from the first one. I still suffered for the first two months but I persevered and eventually did nurse him full time for a long time.

I never try to convince women to nurse. I know that in Nepal a woman is surrounded by tons of experienced women, has Nepali herbs, a cultural practice that supports nursing, and all that. Western culture seems a bit stacked against women with few resources, experience, and information.

As some above have suggested, you can't beat yourself up about it. I was a truly miserable mess. No one could have stopped that mess as it was all my own internal wishes, beliefs, and stuff colliding with my physical capabilities. Eventually my milk ducts enlarged enough so that they could produce enough for my sons. It took two pregnancies and lots of pumping to enlarge those ducts.

In the end, rely on your support group for the emtional help to keep you on track on so many levels. Really informed lacation consultants (not like my first one who only wanted money and to sell junk) can tell you when you still have realistic options for nursing and when it's time to find other solutions.
iaradajnos is offline   Reply With Quote