Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 11-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 220/218/170

Height: 5'2

Thanks for the encouragment. The good news is my thyroid is normal. Although I did switch from a Beta Blocker for my high BP to a different medication and I have already dropped 4 lbs.

I think that my metabolism was slowed down, but I will keep you all posted.
Thanks
maitlsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 220/211/150

Height: 5'3"

I'd highly suggest to keep a few things in mind:

-Remember that you're working on creating a the SAFEST environment possible for your future baby! Keep that in your mind! As you're trying to lose weight and get your blood pressure under control keep reminding yourself that you're creating the SAFEST environment possible for your baby, and your baby is worth it!

-I highly recommend talking to a nutritionist. Ask your OB for a referral if you need one. I'm SO grateful I talked to a nutritionist.

-start taking vitamins now and change your eating habits to healthy ones. A HUGE problem with obesity, is that the women are UNDER nourished! (under-nourished is linked to pre-eclampsia as well as obesity+high blood pressure) Its a proven fact! We eat a bunch of garbage that makes us fat, but not enough HEALTHY food to nourish us! And remember, your baby will be growing from what you supply it! It will NOT be immune from your lack of bad nutrition if you don't ADD good foods to your diet!

I highly recommend making some lifechanges TODAY!

1. Start vitamins now, something prenatal with folic acid in it

2. Start ADDING something healthy to your diet every day. Don't worry about taking stuff away, but start to ADD stuff! Healthy stuff. Instead of thinking "I'm going to give up the X, X, and Y this week" think "I'm going to add a green leafy vegetable and eat it every day this week!" (I learned this from a personal trainer, I'm bad with fresh vegetables though, so instead I've added things like a can of V8 to my diet every day)

3. Definitely up your calorie intake. Have you looked at fitday.com? Its free, I love that site, you can put in your weight goals and dates and it'll calculate your allowed calories for you and keep you on something healthier. If you zap your calories too fast, your body will go into "STARVE MODE" and you don't want that.

Good luck! and keep us posted!

Remember to prioritize your baby's needs before your own! And think about that baby and keep your end goal in mind! Whenever I start to think about my kids instead of my desire for the....fifth....piece of pizza, it helps me motivate some self-control!

Last edited by boots; 11-08-2010 at 07:26 PM.
boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 193/182/135

Height: 5'4"

beta blockers slow EVERYTHING down... i was on Inderal when i was 18 as an experiment to control my migraines and i had to quit my job, heartrate slows down and so then, metabolism. blech.
LoveRyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:41 AM   #19  

Yea, I have an appointment with a nutrionist and I am eating healthier. I am already starting to drop so that makes me excited. I have started on a pre-natal and I am so suprised how much energy I have from that. I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:42 PM   #20  
started out 6/30/10

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
I'd highly suggest to keep a few things in mind:

-Remember that you're working on creating a the SAFEST environment possible for your future baby! Keep that in your mind! As you're trying to lose weight and get your blood pressure under control keep reminding yourself that you're creating the SAFEST environment possible for your baby, and your baby is worth it!

-I highly recommend talking to a nutritionist. Ask your OB for a referral if you need one. I'm SO grateful I talked to a nutritionist.

-start taking vitamins now and change your eating habits to healthy ones. A HUGE problem with obesity, is that the women are UNDER nourished! (under-nourished is linked to pre-eclampsia as well as obesity+high blood pressure) Its a proven fact! We eat a bunch of garbage that makes us fat, but not enough HEALTHY food to nourish us! And remember, your baby will be growing from what you supply it! It will NOT be immune from your lack of bad nutrition if you don't ADD good foods to your diet!

I highly recommend making some lifechanges TODAY!

1. Start vitamins now, something prenatal with folic acid in it

2. Start ADDING something healthy to your diet every day. Don't worry about taking stuff away, but start to ADD stuff! Healthy stuff. Instead of thinking "I'm going to give up the X, X, and Y this week" think "I'm going to add a green leafy vegetable and eat it every day this week!" (I learned this from a personal trainer, I'm bad with fresh vegetables though, so instead I've added things like a can of V8 to my diet every day)

3. Definitely up your calorie intake. Have you looked at fitday.com? Its free, I love that site, you can put in your weight goals and dates and it'll calculate your allowed calories for you and keep you on something healthier. If you zap your calories too fast, your body will go into "STARVE MODE" and you don't want that.

Good luck! and keep us posted!

Remember to prioritize your baby's needs before your own! And think about that baby and keep your end goal in mind! Whenever I start to think about my kids instead of my desire for the....fifth....piece of pizza, it helps me motivate some self-control!
I completely agree with everything you say, ESPECIALLY your comment on creating a safe environment for the baby. Nicely put!

I had to beg my OB to let me see a nutritionist and he looked at me like I was an alien. It was a really good thing to do, though!

I did want to point out one teeny tiny fact that's really just one of my personal hang-ups. Pre-eclampsia can't necessarily be prevented through appropriate nourishment. It's a disease of the placenta that actually begins when the placenta implants. I always think we're over-simplifying the issue when we lump pre-e into all of the great things you can potentially avoid by eating healthy. Pre-e can be caused by a variety of things including clotting factors, genetics, predisposition to high blood pressure, etc. For some people, some of those issues can't be avoided. I wish it was as easy as 'eating better = no pre-e', but that's just not the case. If pre-e were are directly related to nourishment as some would suggest, then there would be A LOT more pre-eclamptic women running around.

HOWEVER (and this comes from experience) when I developed pre-e, I think it would have been a whole heck of a lot easier to get over AND maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if my weight was in control. I ate extremely well during my pregnancy and before- it all came down to a clotting factor problem for me and I think the overall symptoms were exacerbated by obesity. My personal goal is to dump weight so that if I DO get pre-e next time, it might not be as severe.

Last edited by Quail; 11-09-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #21  

Update: I am down to 210lbs. The new medication is helping and I am starting to notice. YAY!!
Old 12-13-2010, 05:55 PM   #22  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Good job maitlsa! Keep up the great work!
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:04 PM   #23  

Height: 5'5

good work
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:15 PM   #24  
started out 6/30/10

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maitlsa View Post
Update: I am down to 210lbs. The new medication is helping and I am starting to notice. YAY!!
WOW! Congratulations!!
Quail is offline   Reply With Quote