Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 05-14-2007, 07:38 PM   #31  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Jessica...it can be done...just get consistant with your eating and get some exercise in.

Before I forget a big ol cheer for Oregon's new working/nursing law!
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:45 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

How's everyone doing?
I've been doing great!! I had TOM last week and am dealing with some decreased milk issues but I know it will go back up in the next few days. I may add in an extra pumping session for a couple of days to see if I can't get it back up. I've lost 10.5 pounds in the last 3 weeks and am just amazed that I have stuck with it this long this time around.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:25 PM   #33  

Hello everyone,
I feel more hungry since breastfeeding than when I was pregnant. I was hoping my appetite would calm down a bit. I have been trying to stay around 1800 to 2000. Doing pretty good.
babygirl43 i wish my weight wasn't a big issue for me but it is all I think about. My little baby gained 1 pound since birth wow they grow so fast lol.He is doing so good I love the baby smell ha.
Have a great night!
blondiewyandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:31 AM   #34  

Jessica—It sounds like you're doing pretty good. It took me about this long to finally get my hunger in control. I kept giving in to the cookie monster and any other sweet thing I could get my hands on. I had lost about 30 pounds after having him but put all that back on plus about 15 more to boot. Now that he's almost 9 months old I feel like I'm finally able to do this and not feel deprived.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:18 AM   #35  

Height: 5'7"

It's hard to believe that he's 2 months already. His vitals were:
Weight: 8lb 2oz (<5th percentile)
Height: 21 inches (<5th)
Head Circ: 15 (35th)
So he is growing. We're not bothering with "adjusted" measurements because he wasn't too premature. (If he would have waited just 17 more days, he would have been considered full term at 37 wks.) He's a little behind in some developmental areas (ex. he's still not giving social smiles) but the dr expects those to happen within the next few weeks. He's only having 1 BM every 7-10 days which according to the Dr is OK (still watery, not constipated). But when it's time for him to pass the stool, look out It's a mess! I find myself warning people before they take him to hold.

So it was a good visit overall. I have to take him to the health center for his shots (because of our insurance).

Nursing is going well. He's still nursing every 3 hours day and night. I'm looking forward to when the feedings start to stretch out a bit.
hautbois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:11 PM   #36  

Glad to hear the appt. went well. Nate is in the 10-15% and has been since his first appts. and his doc isn't concerned at all. He goes for his 9 month checkup on June 8. (Where has the time gone?!?!)
Old 05-26-2007, 09:13 AM   #37  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

BWAHAHAHAHAHA You know you are tired when....

I am pumping for my long run and I pumped the first ounce before I realized I HAD FORGOTTEN TO ATTACH A BOTTLE and was pumping it right on to my lap. Yes it took that long for the wet to register. Thank god I am still in my nightie and not my running clothes

Old 05-26-2007, 04:54 PM   #38  

ennay -

All bf ladies - I need pump recommendations! My little Evenflo that was in storage for 6 years kicked the bucket on Thursday and the new-and improved Evenflo I bought to replace it gave up after 3 sessions!! (The motor cycles but there's no suction) Maybe it's a battery-operated thing?

Can I get adequate production from a manual or am I going to have to spring for a more expensive electric? I'd like to pump once a day or so, with some "marathon" use during the occasional (once a month?) weekend trip out of town.

TIA for any input or suggestions!
vibrantecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:20 AM   #39  
MommieSarahSyrrupp

S/C/G: 246/164/155

Height: 5'9

Hi fellow nursing mamas!! SO EXCITED to be a part of this group! I am brand new here... My name is Sarah. I am a 23 year old mother of two. I am exclusively breastfeeding my 5 month old son, and could use some support and advice when it comes to weight loss. SO happy to see a group exclusively for those who are nursing...
jodicigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:09 PM   #40  

vibe -I have the Medela hand pump (Harmony, I think it's called) that works great for occasional use. I don't give bottles of EBM, but I do use the pump for making baby food and pumping off extra foremilk.

sarah - Hi! Welcome!

All - I saw some comments about being ravenous during breastfeeding. Yes, I am too! I think it's only natural for our bodies to crave food as we are expending lots of calories to feed our babies. However, there is also a lot of water being "lost" in that breastmilk, and hunger is a late sign of dehydration. I have found that if I'm hydrated, I don't feel hungry when I'm nursing. But if I haven't been drinking enough (today!) then I'm hungry (like I am now!).

Say you are 200 pounds. You need about 100 ounces of water a day (about 3L). Depending on your baby's size and age, s/he may be drinking a quart of milk a day. So you now need 4L to keep your body at equilibrium. If you exercise or it's really hot, you probably need another 1/2 to 1L.

For me, I strive for 6L per day. Three for me, 2 for the babies and 1 while working out.

Luckily, breastfeeding and dieting are compatible, and you needn't starve. If you eat 2000 calories, with 500 going to the baby (exclusive BFing), then you're left with a defecit of 1500, which is perfectly acceptable for weightloss.

Fill up those water bottles, mommas!
cjc92802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:42 PM   #41  

Carrie - thanks for the recommendation. I was seriously considering going out and picking up the Harmony after DH got paid this weekend, but a mama on another board suggested a simple fix (the valve wasn't closing properly) and now my Evenflo WORKS again!

Also, thanks for the reminder about water! I know that's one aspect of my "diet" that is lacking right now and I need to get back on track.
vibrantecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:05 PM   #42  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

Jessica - I think your calories might be too low. BFing moms need an additional 500 calories. When I started, I was 278 and eating about 2400 calories and lost pretty quick in the beginning!
jennylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:15 AM   #43  

ennay—that sounds like something I would do.
Fiona—I've heard great things about the Avent Isis. It's a manual pump and I think it's around $50-$80. I've even heard of some women who prefer it over the higher grade electric pumps. (I got an Ameda Purely Yours through WIC. If you are on it, you might look into being able to get a pump through them.)
Sarah
Carrie—Thanks for the water reminder. I usually do really well during the week with my water. I drink a lot of it at work but when I'm home, I forget to drink plenty. That may be why I struggle with my eating at home.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:38 AM   #44  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

I've owned the Isis and hated it, but I know other women who liked it. The main issue with a manual is if you have any kind of tendency to hand/wrist/carpal issues it can aggravate it in a hurry. But it pinched my boob and I did not let down well for it.

I liked the medela mini electric with dd (I'm blessed now in that some one gave me her old pump n style)
Old 05-29-2007, 01:58 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 160/158/135

Height: 5'5

Hi ladies! I am two weeks from making my 1 year bf goal but that also means my lil guy will be one in two weeks. He is now down to nursing only 4 times a day and for shorter sessions. Friday was my last day of school and the last day of pumping (I reccommend the Medela PIS - I used it with both my boys) so from here out I will be nursing on demand. I am a little worried about losing the metabolic benefits of nursing. I am trying to eat healthy and walking everyday but I seem to be at a weightloss stand still.
babybelly is offline   Reply With Quote