PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 12-04-2006, 12:34 PM   #1  
Strugle Daily Not 2 Fail

S/C/G: 294/294/160

Height: 5'9"

Default Hair growth treatment

I have a question on how all of you are handling the excessive facial hair growth if you are having a problem with that.

It is to the point I am soooo embarrased and fed up with the daily plucking that I don't know what to do???? Then, we are TTC so I can't start any laser treatment because if we do get pregnant I would have to stop the sessions.

Any ideas would be MUCH appreciated!!
Uphill_Battle_Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 03:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I do laser and love it. I honestly wouldm't do it any other way. I had way too much to pluck, allergic to creams, years of electrolysis scarred my mother's face in places, so I wasn't about to do that either. Even though I can't really afford it, I make it happen. It's only for a few months and there's results after the first treament.
If it were me, I'd do even if TTC because the hair would be dramatically improved after even once. If I were actively TTC I'd just test before I went in each month to be sure.
Best of luck to you!
Vanessa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 03:54 PM   #3  
Strugle Daily Not 2 Fail

Thank you very much!!

So, I have a couple questions about the laser treatment:

1. Do you go to a nation wide clinic that may be in MN, if so what clinic? Or, is there anything I should look for when looking for a clinic?

2. Do you have to shave in between the treatments? I heard that somewhere and that kind of scares me!

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2006, 09:05 PM   #4  

Glad to help! I know exactly how it feels to have facial hair. It's horrifying, at least it was for me.
The place I go to is an independant office in San Diego so there won't be one in MN.
As for the shaving: I'm not sure if any clinics would make you shave, I've never heard of that. I know that the place I go they shave you directly before they do the treatment, but that's part of the process. I was told that in between treatments I can, if I choose, shave the hair off. Plucking and waxing are not allowed because they need to have to root there so they can FRY it!
I'm not sure what your priorities are so I'll tell you about my experience:

1) Sensitivity: I did a lot of shopping around before I decided where I wanted to go. I made a lot of calls, visits, etc. The people I talked to in some of those places honestly were insensitive. I could see that some of them were put off by my facial hair even though they tried to hide it. I wanted to cry a few times. Finally I met the lady who I eventual chose; she was incredibly sensitive to the psychological aspect of excess hair. I never felt as if she were judging me or that she was grossed out by me.

2) Technology: It was important to me to have up to date laser technology. I am lucky to live in Southern California where beauty is an amazingly competitive market (it's sick, I know!), so technology is relatively easy to come by here. The place I go uses a LightSheer (sp?) laser, which as of now, is the best available. I'm sure that's debateable but I know it works for me. The pain is minimal and it's most effective on dark hair, which mine was.

3)Results:I can't say enough about the results.... I've gone 3 times so far and the difference is awesome. I'm doing sideburns, cheeks, upper lip, chin, and neck and after 3 times The hair is almost completely gone, and mine was BAD!
The emotional difference is priceless. I finally don't jerk my face out of DH's hand when he wants to look closely at me. I don't walk with my head down so nobody will look at me. Wow, that was rough even to type.

All in all, I advise you to research your brains out! Then shop around until you find a place that has both the technology you need and the respect and sensitivity you deserve! Finally, make it happen! It's so worth it to me, I feel like a new girl.

Best of luck to you! You can PM me if you have any other questions and I'll do my best to help out.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:04 PM   #5  

I shave and pluck every day and it drives me nuts and I'm pretty obsessive about it all. I also find myself walking with my head down a lot and am very self conscious of the hair.

I look forward to getting a job soon (still looking!) and saving up to get rid of this hair!!!

Definitely go for it if you can financially and while you are TTC, just make sure to check before you go like Vanessa Meridythe said. It will be a nice little boost of confidence and less stress on your body!
Celesteral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 07:27 PM   #6  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Hey all,

I know how you all feel, especially about the pulling away from my DH when he puts his hands near or on my face. I don't let anybody close to me for fear of them being able to "See". I also find myself hiding my face and its definately no fun. I shave/pluck daily and it drives me insane.

My question about the laser is this: does insurance cover any of it since the excess hair is from the PCOS? I'm not sure if I could even go and do it as I'm so ashamed of it but if it helped, it may be worthwhile.

Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 09:31 PM   #7  

Sassy: Poor thing! You MUST get it taken care of!! It's so worth every penny to feel ok with your face! I mean, you have to wear that face everyday, it's your billboard to the world.

I feel SO much better (with a few treaments still to do) about my face, you wouldn't believe it. I don't worry about my face when I have an unexpected visitor (I used to let them in then make an excuse to go to the bathroom to "take care" of it, I'm not as camera shy (there's seriously like 6 pics of me and DS because I always ran away) and I can look directly at DH and SMILE!! ETC ETC ETC ETC, I could go on all day about how screwed up facial hair is.

I have never heard of insurance covering laser since it's typically considered "cosmetic". I have to say I think that it TOTAL BS. With the psychological ramifications of it, it should be covered!!But totally check with your insurance company to be sure, sometimes they surprise me.

I know what you mean about ashamed.
My advice is this: Go to a place whose major focus is hair removal, skin care, junk like that. Stay away from salons and all-in-one places (you know, the places where you can get a boob job, an oil change, and laser hair removal, lol).
I did a ton of shopping around and I found that the smaller, more focused offices were more sensitive about it. That was WAY high on my priority list I'll tell ya. I cried before I went in for my first treatment because the laser lady was going to be RIGHT in my hairy face; I really almost chickened out. Luckily, my mom was with me and she had her facial hair removed, so she insisted. She literally had to push me through the door! But she was right (for once, lol), the difference in my self image is ABSOLUTELY PRICELESS.

Oh, oops! Here I go again, taking up all the room! I sure do get going sometimes. I can't help but be passionate about this particular side effect of PCOS.

Anyway, anyone that reads this is welcome to PM me with questions! I can't guarantee answers but I'll give it my best shot!
Old 12-06-2006, 09:17 AM   #8  
Strugle Daily Not 2 Fail

I am so glad all of you posted. And VERY greatful for the insight into getting this done!

I totally relate with all of you on the DH and hiding my face! I always rest my face in my hands or keep my hair covering as much as possible! It's a TERRIBLE feeling!!

So, I have began my shopping around...wish me luck
Old 12-06-2006, 03:28 PM   #9  

Another thing: I now proudly wear earrings because I don't have sideburns anymore. Small triumph I know, but it makes me happy...
Good luck to you all!
Old 01-08-2007, 02:58 PM   #10  
yes girl

S/C/G: 201.4/179.8/130

Height: 5'0"

Arrow hair removal

Vanessa, after the laser hair removal does it grow back? i go to electrolysis and mine comes back
onestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:38 PM   #11  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uphill_Battle_Vet View Post
I am so glad all of you posted. And VERY greatful for the insight into getting this done!

I totally relate with all of you on the DH and hiding my face! I always rest my face in my hands or keep my hair covering as much as possible! It's a TERRIBLE feeling!!

So, I have began my shopping around...wish me luck

I do the same thing! Esp. if I'm talking to someone and their close to me!
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:56 PM   #12  
yes girl

S/C/G: 201.4/179.8/130

Height: 5'0"

since u have lost a lot of weight, has your pcos gotten better in any way?
onestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:31 PM   #13  

Uphill battle: I'm so glad you're going to shop around! I hope you find a place that you like, with good prices, etc. It may seem unrelated but I swear I've been in overdrive with my weight loss since starting laser. I feel so much better about myself, maybe that helps with the motivation to do even more for myself. Good luck and please keep me posted!

Onestar: I did a little electrolysis several years ago and all of my hair came back. My mom did it for a loooong time and she actually has scarring on her jawline because of it! It just never seemed worth it to me.
With laser, it suppoedly kills the whole follicle, so it's just done-dead. Not coming back! I'm still in the process so I can't vouch for that personally but most of mine is gone now. I had it on my cheeks, sideburns, etc. and now there's only one stubborn patch under my chin that may need another treatment or two. But, as for the rest of it, I haven't seen any regrowth on the sideburns or cheeks at all. I hope it works for you!

As for losing weight and PCOS symptoms: I'm not sure you were talking to me but I'll answer anyway. After I started losing weight in September I had 3 regular periods, in a row even! That was unheard of for me. But it went away again last month, so who knows? I still have a ways to go but hopefully things straighten out as I continue to lose. I think they will.
btw: Thanks for referring to it as a lot! I hadn't thought of it that way until I read that. I guess 40 is a lot.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:48 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa Meridythe
With laser, it suppoedly kills the whole follicle, so it's just done-dead. Not coming back! I'm still in the process so I can't vouch for that personally but most of mine is gone now.
This is good to read. How long has it been since your last laser treatment?
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:54 AM   #15  

Maria: I went about 2 weeks ago for my 4th treatment. They say it will take between 4 and 6 treatments to get the job completely done.
From what I understand there are growth cycles for the hairs, and while you're there they fry what's growing, that goes away, then next time they get the hairs that were dormant during the previous treatment, and so on until it's all gone. If you go in for a consultation they should explain all of this to you better than I can. I wish I could remember the details...
I think I'll fall into the normal 4-6 category since it's almost all gone.
Best of luck!