PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 05-18-2004, 10:18 PM   #1  
Mission2bthin

S/C/G: 291.6/279.6/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Please...Veterans out there?

I know I need to make a Dr.'s Appt to find out for sure but I was just looking for some insight before I go in.

Heres my info. I'm 18 and wondering if I have PCOS. When my parents divorced 4 years ago, I went up to 235 pounds Over a one year period I managed to get down to 205 and then started the South Beach Diet and got down to 175 which is where I am now. I'm 5'7 so it's not so horrible, but 150 is a much healthier weight which is where I'm trying to get but for the past 3 months I'm going no where. Big old stall. I didn't think weight loss should be this difficult for an active 18 year old. Isn't it supposed to be easier when you're younger?

Also I have this hair that grows more than usual woman. I get a little on my lower belly and way too much on my chin leading to my neck. I pluck it and two days later it's back. A lot of it. And I know this is a symptom.

I'm on birth control now, but I've always had normal periods which is what causes me to be confused. Since I was 12 I've had 28 day cycles. I've always been regular meaning I ovulate normal right?

Some symptoms scream PCOS and some totally contradict it. Any opinions?
Aimster45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 06:30 AM   #2  
Rattie Lover

Welcome, Aimster45!!

Quote:
Also I have this hair that grows more than usual woman. I get a little on my lower belly and way too much on my chin leading to my neck. I pluck it and two days later it's back. A lot of it. And I know this is a symptom.
I would definitely go see the doc. if your doctor doesn't know much about PCOS, then ask if they can recommend someone that does. Preferrably and endocrinologist or a very knowledgeable OB/GYN.

The hair problem is a symptom of PCOS, but it can also be a symptom of other things. PCOS gives off different symptoms in different women. For instance one will have hair growth, acne, overweight, while the other isn't overweight, but has irregular periods, insulin resistance, etc. It just all depends on the person. I had to go through 3 different doctors before I finally received the right diagnosis. Only then was I able to start getting treatment for PCOS and started to get healthier.

Quote:
I'm on birth control now, but I've always had normal periods which is what causes me to be confused. Since I was 12 I've had 28 day cycles. I've always been regular meaning I ovulate normal right?
Sounds like healthy ovulation to me. I never ever had that in my life. Then as PCOS got worse...ovulation came 4x a year if that.

Quote:
Some symptoms scream PCOS and some totally contradict it. Any opinions?
See what the doc has to say and go from there. It's hard to say what to do until you have an official diagnosis and know what is the culprit behind your symptoms. Then you can get the proper treatment and/or medication to help you.

Please keep us posted!! We Care!! Also, feel free to browse our PCOS Articles. Lottsa good info in there. Here's a link for ya...

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=125

Take care and good luck!!
Noodles913 is offline   Reply With Quote