PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:04 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 216/211/175

Height: 5' 5.5"

Who is here this month?
Im new here, CheekyTWChick

How are you?
Im feeling very good at the moment, I was diagnosed with PCOS back in 2007, and ever since have been up and down with my weight, trying to find the perfect healthy eating regime (don’t like the word diet!!!) Finally, battle after battle, I have found a IR diet that works.

How was last month?
As Hubby and I were away for a couple of weeks last month, I didn’t really think about healthy eating

How is your PCOS management last month?
Non existent Ive tried all sorts but 2nd of August was my first real go at a proper IR diet.

What are you going to work on in August?
I shall work on staying on the healthy regime and also to up my exercise.

Last edited by CheekyTWChick; 08-09-2012 at 04:04 AM.
CheekyTWChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #17  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Quick check in:

Good vibes please!

DH is up for his vasectomy, I've been off BCP now for a few months. (Since March -- so back on Metformin to deal with androgens that way).

So we're moving to a new territory both in our sex / reproductive life and for me -- my PCOS journey.

This space cadet business lately -- I keep wondering about early menopause or WHAT. Labs on Tuesday, endoc in Sept.

So a time of lots of transitions!

School starts this month so hopefully I can be more present than I have been in summer mode. Miss ya guys!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Good luck, Astrophe.

Spacey-ness (if it's not something else, obviously) sometimes, for me, is associated with too high blood sugars or too low. Just something to keep in mind.

Check in for myself... I'm easing into Paleo eating. Today, I officially start, but I've made some modifications to the diet, because I think the drastic nature of the Whole30 is more because people are eating SAD and then moving into Paleo.

I've already done that transition and I just want to reduce my carb intake and get some of the "bad" foods out of my system -- especially dairy, since I get affected by it.

So far, it's been good. I've been "transitioning" in these last few days, just eating a lot less what some Paleo eaters believe is inflammatory foods.

I think already eating this restricted has liberated me in some ways. I know what I can eat (the restriction) and I can pick whatever I want in that space. Veggies, protein, and oils. It makes the food more delicious for sure, since I can add more fats/oils than I was eating before.

Something I haven't given up is cornmeal and sugar in my coffee. I don't put a lot in my coffee, so I'll deal. And there are these snacks that I make with cornmeal that are super healthy (except for the fact that it's made out of corn) and I'll keep those in too. I don't eat them every day, but they are a quick snack for me, so I'll see if that affects me in a negative way.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #19  
Battling pcos daily

S/C/G: 235/195/135

Cool Victory!!!!

I had an amazing victory this morning! After about 5 solid months of not being able to get below 181lbs...... This morning I weighed in at 179 lbs!!!!! I can't believe it! I'm so happy and excited. I never thought I'd be happy about weighing 179 after having been down to 145 at one point a few years ago, but I am stoked!

I saw my endo on aug 13 and she ran several tests -- tsh... Again... Also free t4, a test for cushings, and tests on my adrenal function. Still waiting on the cushings results and adrenal function results, but t4 was "normal" and tsh was 3.6 ... Up from 2.5 in April. I spoke to my doctor about the tsh being up to 3.6 and he sain anything below 4 is normal so he isn't concerned. I let him know that I've done a lot of research on thyroid disorders and that the American college of endocrinology and thyroid disorders recommends healthy tsh values between 1 and 2.5 ... And that I'm concerned that my symptoms aren't being treated and that I feel I'm not being listened to. He retorted that I should find another dr.

That's exactly what I'll be doing as I have no respect or time for a doctor who can't handle a patient who advocates for herself. I do my homework and I read the research... I know more about my body than any dr ever will... It's so disappointing and disheartening.

Sorry to yammer on... Just wanted to get this off my chest as its been bugging me. But we will see what the other test results say -- not that I'm expecting anything. Have decided to go to the gym 6 days a week minimum 90 minutes. Also sticking to low carb high protein diet. And increased water intake. Thanks for reading everyone
Clmiller0782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #20  

GOOD FOR YOU!

I agree, get a new doctor if this one won't listen to you! We have to be our own health advocates because we actually live in the body that we're in -- not the doctor! And they don't know everything, especially if you're reading up on the stuff and they are not!

I also changed endos because the first one was just a regular endo, not a reproductive one and he just wanted to put me on weight loss pills. Yes, I tried it for a while, but then I realized he's not actually helping me figure out what's wrong with me and how to treat it. Putting me on a pill doesn't solve the problem!

So yes, find someone else.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:15 PM   #21  
Battling pcos daily

S/C/G: 235/195/135

Default Good day

Rama -- thanks for the reply. I appreciate the support! I definitely will work on finding a new doc. I'm also taking matters into my own hands and finding natural remedies for under active thyroid, as I firmly believe that despite what my doctor says.... My thyroid isn't functioning optimally. So I am going to try some suggested vitamins that I found on many different websites such as selenium, l-tyrosine, and l-Arginine. These are all said to promote healthy thyroid function. I will give these a good shot and see if it's helpful.

I'm just thrilled to be finally back und 180. Has anyone here ever tried the hcg diet? The hcg drops along with a very low calorie diet? Just curious because I purchased hcg drops today... I have read a lot about this diet and have been very curious whether it would work. It seems very strict though and not sure how attainable it is to do, but I will give it a good try and see... Lol. I'm never going to learn my lesson that diet stuff doesn't work. Anyhow... Anyone else out there ever try it? Suggestions? Tips?

Thanks all!
Clmiller0782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clmiller0782 View Post

I'm just thrilled to be finally back und 180. Has anyone here ever tried the hcg diet? The hcg drops along with a very low calorie diet? Just curious because I purchased hcg drops today... I have read a lot about this diet and have been very curious whether it would work. It seems very strict though and not sure how attainable it is to do, but I will give it a good try and see... Lol. I'm never going to learn my lesson that diet stuff doesn't work. Anyhow... Anyone else out there ever try it? Suggestions? Tips?

Thanks all! [/COLOR]
Just as an FYI, HCG diets are not supported on 3FatChicks. There are stickies about this on the Weight Loss Forum.

My personal opinion, HCG diets "work" because you're eating 500 calories a day. I've had this fight with a friend of mine who did it and thinks HCG was amazing for her (she only had 10 lbs to lose).

If you eat 500 calories of day, OF COURSE you're going to lose weight.

To top it all off, you're eating 500 calories of LOW to NO CARBS. Of course you're going to lose weight.

The problem is that you don't develop a way of managing food once you're off the diet. You can't sustain 500 calories a day for the rest of your life.

Personally, I also think that kind of restriction puts you in a prime position to binge because you get hungry and get cravings. Then you binge. Then you feel like crap because you "fell off the wagon". Then starts a cycle of recrimination. Then you feel crappy. Then you restrict again. And the cycle begins.

I'm a big fan of developing eating habits that will carry you for the rest of your life. It's better for your body, it's better for your mind and soul, too.

P.S. My friend has maintained her weight loss. But I don't think she eats more than 1000 calories a day. It works for her because she doesn't like food, she eats because she has to eat to live. She was never the type to binge or eat too much. She has a very restricted diet, period (with or without the HCG). She gained the 10 lbs because of age -- she's 49 and had a sedentary lifestyle. She lost the 10 lbs, in addition to the restricted diet, because she started working in a position where she had to stand and walk around all day.

Last edited by Rana; 08-22-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #23  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Rana: Thanks. Nope, blood sugars are well, and this has been going on all year. I thought it was the dad health drama but there's just too much going on here to pinpoint. I'm also have hot/cold.
But I also just got thyroid meds changed.

This is the part I hate about having so many endocrine "layers" to deal in.

Clmiller0782:

Good for you! On the changes in eating and weight loss results AND advocating for self! Get a new doc!

I got tested many times and came out "low normal" and it was a nurse who whispered to me after the doc left that for SOME people and their body chemistry, low normal is not good. So to watch it.
I was a student then and did not have access to more docs so I had to wait another few years for it to poop out to "bad enough" on paper. I don't know why listening to a paper is more valued than listening to the person LIVING IN THE BODY.

Hmmph.

MY CHECK IN:

I am doing well. Kid is back in school. DH is healing up well from surgery. I'm slowly getting a grip on a pattern for fall term in my volunteering and house stuff and gym thing.

SO hard coming back to earth after footloose summer! I'm a bit bloaty but expecting TOM so I'm not worried about the slight gain. Over all I've been coming down in weight a bit at a time so I'm satisfied with PCOS eats and meds. Now gotta get more exercise -- that's always my hard one! Sigh.

I'm proudest right now of personal growth -- with DH in our marriage and tending to that. And in some friendships I'm trying to deepen that are going very well.

OMG, we're BOTH so excited about sex -- vasectomy confirmation in 3 months more. It's been heavy making out all week since he's still healing and we giggle because this reminds us of having to go easy right after my birthing kid. But it's a huge relief to both of us to be sterile as a couple. Let's go, sterile! It's kinda like -- hooray! At last! We can sex it up without thinking too hard about it any more! Does not apply any longer -- snake got defanged! Wheee!

Next month is PCOS awareness and my bday so I'm probably going to buy a PCOS shirt to do my small bit to support awareness campaigns. I'm trying to see if anyone has put out a printable to distrubute? I'd be willing to print some and pass out but I'm not clever about designing that stuff. Anyone know?

I'm trying harder to be a healthier me across all my buckets -- mind, body, heart, soul. That includes balancing my time with the eldercare thing too.

I've made the decision to pull back a bit and be less available. Not just for MY health but to make things harder on Mom on purpose. Not to be MEAN but to make her see we cannot keep on this way. We really cannot do this all alone. She makes me nuts on that but she's going to a psych next month and wants me to come. Thank heaven -- getting HER some support. I know it is hard being the wife when the husband is struggling with Alzheimer but cannot OSTRICH. Sigh.

I think she's lollygagging on getting her and Dad moved to Retirement Living with Assisted Living options just because he makes big noisy fusses. He fusses no matter what so ignore that and just MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION so we can all relax.

I think he needs a NURSE to dispense his meds. It is not a lot to do since he's fine in body -- it is his memory that sucks, and his thinking skills are wobbly. Retirement community with some AL help with laundry, meds -- that is hardly throwing you away! Shoot -- some of these places are like resorts -- I want to live there! Get ME laundry help!

Thanks for letting me vent some.

hugs
A.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #24  

I'm sorry it's so complicated for you, astrophe. I hope you find out what the deal is!

I have never done anything to raise PCOS awareness. I figure I'm the PCOS-awareness factor for others. Although, I will reach out to a woman who tells me she has it -- a coworker's girlfriend told me she did and I immediately felt kinship!

My own update?

I'm just hanging in here. The Paleo eating is confirming that I was eating too many carbs for my body/IR even though they were healthy carbs. I am losing weight steadily now, which is kind of scary, because I'm not used to losing weight every week.

I think the dairy was the biggest culprit, so far.

I am going introduce some more legumes into my diet in September to see if that affects me. I like them. I can give up brown rice with no problems!

This has also confirmed that I need to be vigilant about my vegetable consumption and I am. I also tried to make baked sweet potato fries and they are great -- especially with homemade mayonnaise!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 158/156.2/125

Height: 5' 3"

Who is here this month?

I am. My name's Kate.

How are you?
I've been kind of stalled out but casually lurking this month. I had started a new weight training routine (my first ever) with my DH and was doing so good for two weeks when I pulled a tendon in my thumb and the Dr. put me out of the gym for about 10 days while I took prednisone. I don't know why everyone says it makes you hungry and hyper; I've felt nauseous and awful the entire time. I'm 24 hours since last dose and the nausea is still whooping my butt.

After trying every diet, exercise, everything, with temporary victories (a pseudo-paelo diet gave me results that lasted about two years), I'm at my wits end. I finally had to on BCPs this January and just today started phentermine 15mg for the first time. My internist didn't want to give it to me since I'm not obese and I do have anxiety, but really, like I said, I've done everything else and I can't take the absolutely crippling hunger issues anymore. I hate PCOS.

I have a follow up with my endo tomorrow. I saw him in May. Really, there's not much to report; on paper, I'm healthy except for slightly elevated DHEA-S, but we all know there's what the tests say, and what our bodies say, and mine is NOT HAPPY. I've got to get a handle on this again; I miss feeling good.
How was last month?

How is your PCOS management last month?
Terrible. Absolutely terrible. I felt worse the past few months than I have in YEARS, possibly since my diagnosis.

What are you going to work on in August?
I know its the end of the month but I was really pleased to get back into the gym today. The plan is to stay hydrated, take my phentermine, watch what I eat, and lay off the carbonated beverages as they seem to be causing a pretty significant reflux problem. Also, I plan on coming here for support and encouragement from people who understand what it's like to try to live life with PCOS.

Last edited by Kateastrophy; 08-28-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Kateastrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 316/see tracker/175

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to check in. I've had some pretty horrific family drama stuff going with my kiddos and have been pretty frustrated with my lack of time for exercise. I stalled weight wise most of August.

Last Friday, my doctor put me on an anti-depressant for depression, anxiety and not sleeping at night. (the kiddo stuff has been going on a couple of years, the depression has just gotten really bad the last six months).

Well since Friday I have dropped 5.5 pounds. I have cut back on my caffeine intake since I am sleeping a little better each night, I am trying to walk every day, and the medicine has really suppressed my appetite. The doctor said this happens for some people. I am eating normally, just have drastically reduced my portions.

Have any of you experienced anything similar with anti-depressants before? Do you know if it continues or just until my body gets used to the medication? I was a stress eater before and maybe it is just that since I feel less stressed, I am not inclined to eat like I was before---? Thoughts?
LaughingGirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 158/156.2/125

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingGirl78 View Post

Last Friday, my doctor put me on an anti-depressant for depression, anxiety and not sleeping at night. (the kiddo stuff has been going on a couple of years, the depression has just gotten really bad the last six months).

Well since Friday I have dropped 5.5 pounds. I have cut back on my caffeine intake since I am sleeping a little better each night, I am trying to walk every day, and the medicine has really suppressed my appetite. The doctor said this happens for some people. I am eating normally, just have drastically reduced my portions.

Have any of you experienced anything similar with anti-depressants before? Do you know if it continues or just until my body gets used to the medication? I was a stress eater before and maybe it is just that since I feel less stressed, I am not inclined to eat like I was before---? Thoughts?
I've been on anti-depressants for a decade now for the management of anxiety. It could be that the antidepressant itself is suppressing your appetite, but I'd say it's unlikely since most CAUSE weight gain. What is probably happening is that you are sleeping more, which reduces your stress levels, bringing down your cortisol levels. Also, people who sleep less weigh more because their bodies make up for the lack of sleep by telling them to consume more calories. With adequate sleep, you are probably not feeling the urge to "power up" with the empty calories in quick carbs like your body was telling you to do before.

That's just my theory though. My doctor put me on trazodone (an anti-depressant) in addition to my regular prozac in order to help me sleep. once I started sleeping, my hunger went down pretty dramatically.

Hope you feel better!
Kateastrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:55 AM   #28  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Sept thread is up. Come on over!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos...ml#post4457195

A