PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

The dizzy spell sounds like a classic IR result. Did you get the results back immediately with what happened to your blood sugar?

When I had my test, my endo told me to go and get a high protein breakfast -- eggs or steak or something that would balance out all the sugar they put into the solution. But they should have waited a couple of hours and taken blood samples during the test. By the 2 hour mark, you should have come down from the sugar high they sent you on. Or did you leave immediately?!

I'm sorry you're feeling so sick and I really hope the doctors are able to get you on a plan that works. I always advocate being your own champion when it comes to your health because your doctors may not know everything that's going on inside your head/body. Communicate as best as you can and trust your gut instincts.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:14 AM   #32  

Height: 5' 4

I was at the doctors for three hours after I drank the solution. Then I went and had lunch before I drove anywhere. Then when I started driving I started feeling dizzy again. The nurse or doctors didn't tell me about any side effects or not to drive or that I might get dizzy. I tried to call them when I got home but I couldn't get through. I don't have the test results yet.
polleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Hopefully you'll get them soon. It sounds like you had a sugar crash after the test. Maybe your lunch was too high in carbs?
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:36 PM   #34  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I had that glucola test while pregnant. I threw it up and felt dizzy. I called home and I can't remember if it was my parents or my husband who came to get me at the clinic. I ended up going with a blood draw A1C to give the OB a picture of my status since I just could NOT keep that awful drink down pregnant. Not the same but at least a picture and it ended up that I had gestational diabetes while pregnant.

I used to get dizzy like that even before the test -- it's unbalanced blood sugar.

I learned to eat around 400-500 calories every 4 ish hours.

And I also learned it was better to be balanced 1:1 protein to carb or 1:2 protein to carb. Too much carb would end with me having wigginz again.

That doesn't mean carbs just from obvious sweets like your drinks or desserts. The starchy carbs too -- potato, brown rice, etc. Just going to "brown" with the bread or the rice doesn't mean it's still not a carb that can give you a blood sugar spike.

HTH!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:54 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 224/146/147

Height: 5"2

hey girls everything went well thanks they said they dont wanna see me for a follow up so got the all clear thank god. THey do however think i have ibs and that what the bowel pain was and not endermitriosis they didnt mention my bulky ovaries so they must be ok now. hope your all well xxx
ems81wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:41 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/130

Height: 5 foot

Hi everyone....I just found this thread and wanted to ask some advice. I was diagnosed with PCOS 12 years ago (at 16 years old). The only thing that's ever been done for me (asside from a blood test to determine PCOS) is to put me on birth control. I was one pills (a different one each year) for 5 years and then was switched to the nuva ring which I've been on for 7 years now. I've recently begun a search for an endocronologist to see about possibly getting put on metformin....I've beem married for 7 months and we're looking at wanting to try to get pregnant in the next 6 months to year. Sadly....There are only 2 endocronologists near me....One won't take new patients without a referal...which will end up costing me about $200 to get....a $50 copay to see my OBGYN since I'm not due to go back until Feb.....and about $150 to run the blood work for "proof" of the PCOS (because this was done 12 years ago and 5 Dr.s ago...I do not have it). The other I can't get to answer the phone.... Can my OBGYN put me on the metformin herself? Is it worth seeing the endocronologist?
KatRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:03 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 151/145/125

Height: 5'6

IMO, OB-Gyns were useless. All the ever did was prescribe BCP and said that there were nothing else they could do. I saw an (metabolic) endocrinologist that my husband goes for his diabetes and he told me to come back for clomid when I wanted to get pregnant. I researched and found a reproductive endocrinologist who is treating me now. He is way more knowledgeable about PCOS than any of the other doctors I have gone to.
nina125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:28 AM   #38  
Reaching Heaven 2011

S/C/G: 197/181.6/155

Height: 5'7''

Who's here this month?

I know it's the end of the month, but with the holidays approaching I would like to get back on the ball with weight, depression, and PCOS management. I'll check in on the December thread too!

How are you?

Blah. It's been a rough month.

What are you working on?

Staying positive, enjoying life, getting out of the 180s, and getting happy. Is that too much to ask?

How was last month?

Same. Blah.

How's your PCOS management going?

I changed my birth control pill a few months ago, got my period back this month, but that's about the only thing that's new.

Thanks for having this thread. Love this board.
recycledartgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #39  

Thanks Nina.....I seem to be having a hard time finding someone For 12 years I've been treated with just the BC.....I was told "You might be able to have kids, you might not....we'll figure it out when the time comes". I feel cheated.....I talk to others who were immediately sent to an endo. when they were diagnosed!! Fingers are crossed that I can eventually get in touch with one that was recommended by a coworker and isn't that far from my house (about 30 minutes) AND that they'll take me as a new patient without a referal!!
Old 11-30-2011, 10:17 AM   #40  

Height: 5' 4

Rana my lunch probably was too high in carbs as it was a coffee place with not many options.
It took me a good two days to get over the dizzy spells. A doctor said it was vertigo and my Ob-gynea said it was nothing at all to do with the test. I'm skeptical when she says they aren't related as it seemed far too coincidental. I am feeling myself again. Still no test results but its now a long weekend here so I guess nothing showed up or they would have called.... I'll find out next week anyway.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt pretty awful during the test! If I had my family nearby I probably would have called someone. I live in a different country to my family and close friends so I really felt I had no one to call. Finding that really hard at the moment, can't wait to go home for Christmas!
polleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #41  

I got lucky! The office that I was going to in 2000 when I was diagnosed hadn't destoryed my records yet! I was able to get a copy of all records, including a copy of the lab work from when I was diagnosed. Yay. Now to find someone who can see me....I have other issues too, and am seeing a chiroprator and we're trying to find out about some pains that I'm having, so right now I'm waiting on a phone call for an MRI....once I get the MRI out of the way, I'll hopefully be able to find an endo to see!
Old 11-30-2011, 10:05 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 151/145/125

Height: 5'6

Curious.. Why do you need an MRI?
nina125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:37 PM   #43  

I've had problems with back pains for 3 years now. When it started it was so intense and severe that I couldn't bend or squat to lift the lid on the toilet seat to use the bathroom. I had x-rays and saw an orthopedic who said it all looks fine and to take 10 days bed rest. That worked ok and the intense pain was gone. It would come and go for years, but nothing ever that severe again. I started seeing my husbands chiropractor when we got married and discovered that my spine was curved at the base into a backwards C but nothing that couldn't be fixed with therapy and adjustments. On Thanksgiving it got intense again....I couldn't move without sharp pains. All of these are in my lower back...right side of my spine (if it means anything, when my chiropractor felt around and I identified where the pain is coming from he said L5). He looked at my latest x-rays and there has been MUCH change...the backwards C is nearly gone....my pelvis is still at an angle (it was 30 degrees, now is closer to even on both sides) but he can't see anyhthing that should be causing the pain. He has ordered the MRI to get a better look at the disks to be sure that I don't have a disk problem.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #44  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos...ml#post4126201

Come on over to the new month's thread!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote