PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:31 PM   #61  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

Just wanted to say hello...I am pretty sure I am suffering from SAD over here! UGH. I just want Spring to get here. My weight has stayed pretty much the same, but I AM gaining inches...
I have decided if I have to do no brainer weight loss for awhile, I am going to do lean cuisine's. I know its not the healthiest way to lose weight, but its better then fast food once or twice a day in my opinion. Especially if I have a big salad with it and plenty of water.
I am like 50 days in to my cycle...I know I need to go get a progesterone shot, but I have my annual exam on Feb 14th (happy valentine's day...HAHA) so I'm just going to wait until then probably.
I have been horrible about taking my Met and my synthroid...I just forget AND when my alarm goes off I ignore it...hence the reason I never go to the gym. I have been sleeping for 10 hours or so a night...its just been horrible.
Anyways...Spring please come faster....
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:33 PM   #62  
Reclaiming control!

S/C/G: 337/siggy/185

Height: 5'11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana View Post
Also, my frustration with PCOS is that it's not treated by doctor's as a big deal issue. When all my doctors would hear about my PCOS dx, they would just write it down and then move on. No one said anything to me about because I wasn't trying to get pregnant. No one sent me to an endocrinologist. No one told me I could get diabetes from this if I didn't treat it. No one told me that losing weight would be hard. No one told me that it would be better to get the weight off when I was first diagnosed than 15 years later when I've developed the IR already and my body has suffered through my lack of taking care of it (which no one told me I had to take care of because I thought the BCP were doing that for me!).
oooh I can totally relate to this. This was the very basis for my question! I, too, was diagnosed very early (teens) and to this day, my doctors (different ones) have only mentioned it when it was "Causing a problem" of some sort! They would simply make note of it and move on! How frustrating. I'm really starting to learn more about it and I will be advocating for myself when I go to doctors from this point on. I will demand additional information and to be treated as though my body is different and is dealing with PCOS. BCP or Provera is not "fixing" it!

There is such little information that is comprehensively put together... I couldn't agree more with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babble View Post
To me the most frustrating thing about having PCOS is the emotional side of it. I get angered over dumb stuff and get hormonal and anxious. It tends to make me feel like I am losing my mind sometimes. I have noticed that has gradually gotten better but it is still there.
Hi Babble, this is another one that very well explains my viewpoint. My hormones get so flared up sometimes (whether through a spike in hormone or a sudden drop) and it's just awful! People really don't understand. I don't have those extreme shifts as much as i used to... however, when it happens I feel as though I am not myself and it's almost as though I can "see" myself as though I'm looking at me from the outside. Really odd.

Ladies thanks for your responses. It feels good to know that I'm not alone in the issues that I deal with, and to also know that we can continue to educate each other as we learn more.
MyBodyisMyTemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #63  
Reclaiming control!

S/C/G: 337/siggy/185

Height: 5'11

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophe View Post
The most annoying thing about LIVING with it? Probably the weight management. It's a challenge and doesn't always play by the "normal rules" that other dieters get to deal with.

I was a single then, and I'm a mom with a fam now so I don't have the kind of free time I had as a college student. But I'd like to get back to that shape as my first major goal on the way to my dream of 165!

Maybe that's another challenge with the PCOS thing -- being a PCOS Mom vs being a PCOS Single Gal for me.

A.
A, so sorry I overlooked your post. Weight management can be very difficult especially with PCOS. I, had "forgotten" for years that I HAD PCOS simply because it was not acknowledged often. As I look back and reflect on things now, I realize how many of the difficulties that I've experienced with my weight and hormones/emotions (or lack thereof at times) have played a large part in me getting to this place where I am now. You work so hard and make all the right decisions yet the battle to lose and maintain weight loss can be so hard!

I wish there was more information readily available. Ways to cope with the different aspects of PCOS, ways to 'cure' it, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkHoodie View Post
Just wanted to say hello...I am pretty sure I am suffering from SAD over here! UGH. I just want Spring to get here. My weight has stayed pretty much the same, but I AM gaining inches...
I have decided if I have to do no brainer weight loss for awhile, I am going to do lean cuisine's. I know its not the healthiest way to lose weight, but its better then fast food once or twice a day in my opinion. Especially if I have a big salad with it and plenty of water.
I am like 50 days in to my cycle...I know I need to go get a progesterone shot, but I have my annual exam on Feb 14th (happy valentine's day...HAHA) so I'm just going to wait until then probably.
I have been horrible about taking my Met and my synthroid...I just forget AND when my alarm goes off I ignore it...hence the reason I never go to the gym. I have been sleeping for 10 hours or so a night...its just been horrible.
Anyways...Spring please come faster....
Hi Pink! Sorry to hear that you have been suffering the blues/depression. Good for you for making the decision to make healthier decisions. Lean cuisine is far better than fast food multiple times a day. I can relate, as I used to eat fast food 2-3 times a day! So far it's been about 4 weeks and I haven't eaten any fast food. I know that my body is thankful and also I am so proud.

Are there any things that you can think of that you could look forward to until spring gets here? Perhaps you can create your plan so that by the time spring gets here, you will be that much closer to your goal. Let us know if we can help support you in some way.

HUGS ladies and have a great week. WE can do it!
MyBodyisMyTemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:47 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

PinkHoodie.... I feel your pain... I think I have SAD too....

Today was a date night with the BF and I did sooooo well. I cut my steak in half and put it away for tomorrow's lunch (salad). I was really proud of myself... good choices all around.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:41 AM   #65  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

PinkHoodie -- Hang in there! Spring will come!

My Check In:

Super sleepy today, but predictable. Mid-cycle snoozy.

Books:

Anyway, there are some good books out there. It's gotten better. Here's just some that I have...

PCOS Hidden Epidemic was the first one I read that seemed to take it seriously and was not just some chapter in some other book.

Patient's Guide to PCOS is a good first book. I would have gone there had it been out first when I was first looking.

The Savvy Woman's Guide to PCOS I really liked her style. I even thought about making an appt with her when visiting my relatives out by her clinic! Her other book has worthwhile chapters on PCOS too -- It's My Ovaries, Stupid!

This is a $20 ebook -- I was amazed as how much there is in it.

http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/pcos-book-res.html

TCOYF
is not about PCOS, but taught me so much for keeping up with my wonky cycle it is worth mentioning.

There's lots more out there though. I have quite a few and some are better than others. Right now I'm reading PCOS Diet Plan-- but I'm not finding anything new or astonishing there that wasn't in Dietitian's Guide to PCOS or the ebook above. I'd personally suggest the ebook -- less expensive, broader scope. And if going with a Grassi, pick the workbook over the dietitian guide unless you are really after the exchanges breakouts and can't just view it in the google books preview.

The workbook is good for the emotional side of PCOS.

And thanks for making me think about all this again! I was getting grouchy with lack of progress on the weight loss front, and in looking back made me realize how far I've come with the stress/emotional eating, living with PCOS, managing my stuff, etc. I've got work yet to do, but it's not like I've been twiddling my thumbs either!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 01-26-2011 at 01:51 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:53 AM   #66  

Who's here this month?
Hello all, I'm new to the forum, I've just been reading like crazy there is so much info on here, but I'm glad to find this thread. I've been diagnosed with PCOS since March 2009.

How are you?
Not too bad, just got off the elliptical, I always do it right before bed so that I sleep good

What are you working on?
Working on some financial reports for church, need to go to bed though

How was last month? How's your PCOS management going?
PCOS is same ol same ol, hopefully can get to working on it again soon, Dr. hasn't done anything new for quite some time, I take my metformin and that's it, so I am finally trying to jump on the exercise wagon, hopefully it helps.

So glad for this thread!
JDub27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:56 AM   #67  

S/C/G: 202/169/155

Pink Hoodie - I also suffer from SAD, and I can attest to the usefulness of the sun lamps. They sell them for under $100 if you get the travel ones ... I got mine from vitaminshoppe.com, I believe.

Rana - I can totally sympathize with docs minimizing your PCOS. They seem to think it's just a speed bump instead of a major medical conditions with many implications. I went to supposedly the best endo in San Antonio, and she diagnosed me with "mild" PCOS that "wasn't worth treating" even though my cholesterol numbers were out of control and I was only 25! Never mind the hairy chin and debilitating acne and the horrid weight gain. Nah, it's just a mild case of the crazy hormones. You'll be fine. Thank goodness I persisted and found a decent RE in Houston! So yeah, shocking, women's issues aren't well-understood. Grrrrrr.
drummergrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:00 AM   #68  

astrophe: those are some good links. I've read most of them all (and even own the books!). A Patient's Guide to PCOS is a GREAT book, in my opinion. My endo has it on his desk for his patients to read through when they have to wait for him.

JDub27
Old 01-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #69  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

JDub27: Glad you joined in!

My Check In:

Today was my endoc appt. I'm feeling blah about it. I could use a morale boost, guys. Sorry this is a bit of vent... but I need to let it out somewhere safe before I move on.

Hypothyroid -- good, carry on as normal.

Take more Vit b12 and vit d, too low/deficient. (How'd that happen?!)

Saw my food log, seemed puzzled as I am -- why if I lost 30 lb on paper over a year nothing major shows in real life. Not even 10 lbs? Thanks, syndrome X!

Set me a new goal of 1800 cal (ugh, my 7 yr old gets 1600! I am going to be so hungry!) and set me back on 500 mg Metformin -- brand name Fortmet this time. Hopefully to help cope with hunger and IR and the sluggish metabolism. If I do ok, I'm to jack it up to 1000 mg.

So frustrating. Later I'll review food and exercise and places I could change... but right now? I just want some time and space to process and go blaaaaaaah! Blaaaaaaaah! Stupid PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid/Syndrome X! Blaaaaaaah!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 01-27-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #70  

Grrrrrr..... on your behalf, astrophe.

In a lot of the books I've read, they've said that PCOS patients really only lose weight on 1200-1400 calorie diets (sometimes less than that).

1800 calories is entirely doable and you'll get used to eating less.

When I had to adjust my own calories, I thought I could never do it, but now I don't even have to think about it!!! Seriously... my body even tells me that I'm full for the day (the DAY!) once I hit 1500 calories (even if it's at 2 PM in the afternoon).
Old 01-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #71  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Thanks, guys. I feel better about it now that its been a few hours.

I reset my FitdayPC to put my last year's daily intake average (2300 cal) as what it REALLY took to maintain this weight thanks to my ($%#)) slow metabolism. I will aim for -500 cal from there. (1800 neighborhood.)

Next check up in 3 mos -- let's hope for RESULTS!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 01-27-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:14 PM   #72  

I'm crossing my fingers for you, astrophe.

In my world, today is the day where I want to stuff my face. I know it's PMS. I get this way right before my period. I'm glad that my period seems to be around the corner.....

But god, I could eat a freaking horse right now.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #73  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Rana: Hang in there! PMS cravings are the worst!

My Check In:

Well, I'm not sure I'll walk tonight since we're getting ready for DD's bday party tomorrow. I'll check back in if I do on the exercise thread though.

I'll come in right at 1781 calories if I stick to the plan today. I went a little heavier on fats today to acclimate to the new drop, so fiber kind of suffered.

But hey -- Day 1! Progress is progress! Go me!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 01-28-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #74  

Thanks. I'm over my calories and carbs today. I had two persimmon muffins that I made. They are relatively "healthy" (whole wheat flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, milk and persimmons) so it's not like I called in a pizza and devoured it.

But argh... I hate being this hungry and being at my calorie limit.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:45 AM   #75  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Rana: Persimmon muffin? Never had that! Sounds good! I break out the low cal filling stuff -- melon, watermelon, zucchinni... I'll probably be hitting that later in the week.

Babble: GL with the weights! Cool that DH is willing -- mine is not. I'm still amazed he's willing to Wii walk!

Off to party stuff now...

A.