PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/204/150

Height: 5'4"

Question METFORMIN and my upset stomach !!

I began metformin yesterday. My doctor prescribed the extended release because he said it will be easier on my stomach. I am to take 500mg 4 times a day however he said to begin slowly. So yesterday I took one with breakfast and one with dinner. I have had explosive diarrhea all day and such pains in my stomach. He did tell me that could happen and 10 years ago when I took metformin, I got a little of this but nothing like yesterday. Could it be coincidental and I might just have a stomach bug or is this what I have to put up with for a few days?? I want so badly to get my weight and my health under control. If this is what I have to do, then of course I will do it but I am not a happy camper. I can't leave the house !!! I might send my husband out for some imodium so I can go to work tomorrow. Any suggestions?
Suzzyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

I would only start with 500mg a day for the first week. I took mine with dinner as it was my largest meal of the day. I've also heard that taking it in the evening when you first start sometimes helps avoid those symptoms.
zinkemomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 307/279/180

Height: 5'10"

Suzzyy -- I started Metformin about 2 and a half months ago. I experienced the same side effect you're experiencing. With me, it lasted a week. And then it was completely gone.

The doctor prescribed it as I had just learned I was diabetic. He also scheduled me to visit with a dietician two weeks later. When I went to see her, she asked if the doctor had started me on Metformin. I told her "Yes. 2 x 500 mg pills per day". She said "have you already started taking them?" I said "Yes. 2 weeks ago". She said, "Oh, so you've already finished with the side effects.... I would have told you to start slowly - one per day - and eventually move to 2 per day to avoid that particular side effect."

So, yes -- it is well known.... it is not pleasant, but it was over in a week, if that helps at all!

Dyan
Iconoclast at Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:26 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 183.8/183.8/150

Height: 5'4

Hi Suzzyy,

I was on Metformin 1500mg about 5 yrs ago. I was on it due to having PCOS, and wanting to get pregnant.
I remember my first day, I took my first pill, and then went out to a friends house. I had to rush home.
The side effects do go away. They won't ever be as bad as your first day. I too started taking Imodium on days I had to stay out long.
I did get pregnant, and I did lose weight while on it, so don't give up. It does get better.
lexi1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:36 AM   #5  

THANK YOU !!!!! So if I already took one this morning, should I not take one tonight?? And then maybe just take them at night for a few more days, this way if the diarrhea starts I will be HOME ! I am sending my husband out to get a LARGE size bottle of Immodium. Why do women have to suffer like this. I began this diet July 23, first month was great, lost weight, now I am diagnoised with Insulin Resistance, have been on a plateau for a month and now on Metformin with diarrhea and gas. What is wrong with this picture???
Old 09-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #6  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

I found it helps to take it at the end of your meal, not before you start eating.
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:29 PM   #7  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

My prescription stated to take the Metformin after your meals; and like many others, I found that after the evening meal (dinner or supper), was the best time to take it. I had some diarrhea at the start, but that lessened with time; and you may have to 'tittle' more often too.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 183.8/183.8/150

Height: 5'4

I forgot to add, also I took mines at night after dinner too.
Good luck!!
lexi1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:22 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/199/150

Height: 5'2"

Definitely just take one pill until you're comfy with that. Then move up to two. I take mine at night just before bed so I can sleep through the tummy upset. I think the extended release is easier on our tummies.
Magz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:01 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 186/142/135

Height: 5'2

I started taking metformin 2 years or more ago. When I started it was recommended that I talk 1/2 the dose at the stated time intervals - so I took 1/2 at breakfast and 1/2 at supper. I was told to do this for 1-2 weeks until my system got used to it and then go to the full dose.

As for your symptoms - yes that can happen. I found that it most frequently gave me that problem when I ate greasy food - so I stay away from anything too high in fat or fried.

Good luck!
hopefully
hopefully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:16 PM   #11  

Thumbs up All my supplies

After all your helpful tips and researching Metformin online, I went out to the grocery store to get my supplies. I got Immodium tablets, Ginger tea, peppermint tea and Cinnamon tea!! () I guess I will try them all. I also got some plain yogurt that someone mentioned.
I am going to stop the two doses that I began with. I am supposed to take 500mg, 4 times a day. I began with two. BAD MOVE and all of you have agreed, I will take one dose, at dinner, until all these symptoms subside.
I figure if I take it with or after my dinner meal, I have at least several hours for it to settle or do its damage so I can be ready to go to work in the morning. THIS IS NOT FUN !! My job is stressful and there is NOT a lot of "bathroom" time. I will keep you wonderful people posted. If any more helpful hints, PLEASE send them my way.
Suzy
Old 09-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #12  
Kittyno

S/C/G: 212/190/150

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzzyy View Post
After all your helpful tips and researching Metformin online, I went out to the grocery store to get my supplies. I got Immodium tablets, Ginger tea, peppermint tea and Cinnamon tea!! () I guess I will try them all. I also got some plain yogurt that someone mentioned.
I am going to stop the two doses that I began with. I am supposed to take 500mg, 4 times a day. I began with two. BAD MOVE and all of you have agreed, I will take one dose, at dinner, until all these symptoms subside.
I figure if I take it with or after my dinner meal, I have at least several hours for it to settle or do its damage so I can be ready to go to work in the morning. THIS IS NOT FUN !! My job is stressful and there is NOT a lot of "bathroom" time. I will keep you wonderful people posted. If any more helpful hints, PLEASE send them my way.
Suzy

Suzy,

I just wanted to warn you, some of these symptoms may not go away completely. I have been on Metformin for 4 months, just 500mg a day. I've lost 13 lbs, but I have also had to alter my diet a little bit:

Things that will keep me in and out of the bathroom for hours: Corn, some corn-based Cereal (if I eat more than 1 bowl in a day), Potatoes, anything starchy. Also, sugar free jelly bellies and anything that uses sugar alcohol instead of sugar to sweeten. many "low sugar" ice cream and sugar free foods have sugar alcohol, and the way our bodies process it sends us to the bathroom! Oh, also lettuce. Don't eat salad. If you visit other forums, you'll see that many other people have problems with the same types of food. I just omit them from my diet except for rare occasions with small portions. I know there's some other stuff that bugs me a little bit, but those are the major ones that I pretty much never eat. Except potatoes. I love potatoes and I will suffer for my love of them.

things that are good to eat:
Any bread that is made with whole grain wheat. My rule is, the more seeds you can see in it, the better it is for you.
A little sugar is fine! I have actually found that it's better for me to eat some regular jelly bellies and deal with the calories and sugar, instead of eating one serving of sugar free jelly bellies and being sicker than I've ever been in my life (it gives me that gas that you can feel moving through your whole body, with cramps worse than any ovarian cyst I've ever had)!
Sweet potatoes! I love potatoes, and these are good if you. Try slicing them up like french fries and pan frying them in olive oil- sooo good, especially with a little cinnamon sprinkled on them!
Fruit. Fruit. More fruit. I never got sick, even when I once ate a huge meal of one banana, two pears and a glass of milk. And some blueberries. Yum. The natural sugars are okay for you and satisfy that craving. Yum.
Natural Peanut butter. It has so much less sugar, and it's really much tastier once you get used to it. Eat it for a month on your morning bagel (wheat!), and then try to switch back to jif- it tastes like peanut butter with formeldahyde! I'll take natural peanut butter any day!

Hope this helps!

Remember, no sugar free jelly bellies!!! :-)
kittyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:06 PM   #13  

Unhappy Wowow

Well I will give you all an update. I began the Metformin last saturday morning. 500mg only and he wants me to work up to 2000mg. Well my stomach has been MISERABLE. The GAS is unbearable !!! I am taking Immodium, the one that is also for gas and bloating. I am drinking peppermint tea, cinnamon tea. I am taking Ginger supplements. I am NOT having diarrhea, perhaps because I am taking Immodium but the pain, bloating and gas it makes me cry every night. And I am a tough cookie !!
I intended to increase my dosage to 1000mg on saturday, taking one with breakfast and one with dinner but I don't think I can. I just feel like crap!
I will keep on pluggin along but I am not happy. I am looking forward to Saturday so I can spend time in the bathroom. Maybe get rid of some of this gas.
Suzy
Old 09-14-2008, 05:34 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 185.0/185/140lbs

Height: 5;4

My dtr complained of the same issues while on metformin. She cut her dose in half and she's doing really well on it now.

I did the insulin antibody test last week. I am waiting for the results

Kelly
Kelly46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:08 AM   #15  

Default metformin woes

If the problems persist, you might also look into extended release Metformin. Because it releases more slowly, the side effects aren't as bad.

I came to love ginger tea when I first had to adjust to metf. I felt nauseous all the time when I was first on it, and the ginger tea helped so much...
hardests is offline   Reply With Quote