PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:00 PM   #1  
A Mighty Thump

Height: 5 feet 4 inches!

Default Not new to 3FC, new to PCOS!

Hello all,

I've been floating around 3FC since March 2004 and last week was diagnosed with PCOS and I'm looking for some support.

I joined 3FC in March 2004 when I was 208lbs and was succesful with the weight loss until June 2007 when I fell off the wagon big time after getting down to 174lbs. Weight loss has always been very hard for me and I always wondered why, even when I worked my *** off at the gym and ate clean I could only manage a 1-2lb loss per month. Well, maybe now I have my answer.

I've since put most of the weight back on and I'm now at 202lbs. I found out on Friday that I have PCOS although thankfully my doctor thinks it's mild. I do have some extra unwanted hair in places I'd rather not have it, I have mild depression, periods have gone all iffy and I've had constant period pains the past 3 months! Doc has started me on Metformin which I've been taking since Friday with success (no side effects so far). I'm also going back on the pill to help regulate my periods again.

Doctor has also instructed me to lose weight and change my diet, she wants me to go low carb. Now, the only experience I've had eating low carb was with Atkins years ago which I really didn't like. I've got a good understanding of what's bad to eat, my problem lies with putting it to practical use but now that my health depends on it, I have no choice. I'm going to be cutting out the white stuff, so no white rice, pasta, bread. I don't each much bread anyway. Should I be reducing the amount of wholewheat pasta I eat, period? What about brown rice? I see lots of threads which I'm going to trawl through .

Anyway! I've waffled enough. I just thought I would introduce myself to you all . My name is Lynne, I'm 34 and I live in Fayetteville, TN.
LynneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Congratulations on getting a diagnosis. Knowing what you're dealing with makes things easier - imo.

For myself I have to go low carb to see success but I try to keep the focus on lots of veg & lots of protein - I feel less deprived that way. Cutting out all the white stuff is probably a good start & then you can see if for your body you also need to decrease the brown stuff as well. For me as long as I keep most of my carbs to immediately after a workout my body seems to deal with them better.

Good luck!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:39 AM   #3  
A Mighty Thump

Hi Lifeguard. When you say you eat your carbs immediately after your workout, how much time passes between you finishing your workout and eating? I ask because I'll be working out on a morning before work and roughly 90 minutes passes between me stepping off the elliptical and taking my oatmeal out of the microwave (I have to shower, leave the gym, head to the office etc.). I'm wondering how much of a difference that will make to my body reacting to carbs now? I've got an appointment with a nutritionist on 6 August, I'll get more info then.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:37 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynneA View Post
Weight loss has always been very hard for me and I always wondered why, even when I worked my *** off at the gym and ate clean I could only manage a 1-2lb loss per month. Well, maybe now I have my answer.

Doctor has also instructed me to lose weight and change my diet, she wants me to go low carb. I've got a good understanding of what's bad to eat, my problem lies with putting it to practical use but now that my health depends on it, I have no choice. I'm going to be cutting out the white stuff, so no white rice, pasta, bread. I don't each much bread anyway. Should I be reducing the amount of wholewheat pasta I eat, period? What about brown rice? I see lots of threads which I'm going to trawl through .

Hi Lynne

I'm Lynn too

I have PCOS also and am a low carber. I know it seems impossible at first but it is so worth it to low carb. There are loads of great forums out there also where you can find recipes, tips, tricks and support.

You might feel bad now but combining low carb with metformin is an unbeatable combination. The pounds will come off but you won't have to be hungry all the time.

If you don't like Atkins there are other LC plans out there. South Beach or Protein Power might work better for you.

You are on the right path now.

Last edited by lynnscarlet; 07-25-2008 at 11:38 AM. Reason: spelling
lynnscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:44 AM   #5  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

Lynne, welcome to the PCOS group. Its good that you got diagnosed when you did, now you know what you're up against.
I've been on metformin but it didn't work out for me, lots of really bad side effects the dr. took me off it. I'm taking bcps to regulate my periods now.
I'm not low carbing but heard that it works really well for PCOSers. I don't plan on going on one but its best that you explore around and see what works best for you.. good luck
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:19 PM   #6  
A Mighty Thump

Thanks ladies

I bought the South Beach Diet book this lunchtime so will start reading that over the weekend. As for this week, I'm going to try go low carb based on what I already know; protein with every meal, veggies, cottage cheese and stay light on the brown rice/pasta.

Lynn - do you have any low carb links that you would care to share with me?

Jiggly - sorry you had a bad reaction to the Metformin, I'm waiting to see what happens having only been taking it a week myself. I love your username too! I bet you hear that a lot haha!

I've got something to look forward to, on Monday night the DH and I are taking up Tang Soo Do, a korean open handed martial art. It'll be something fun that we can do together and I get to learn how to karate chop him into matchsticks when he misbehaves!

Have a good weekend all.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

I try to eat within an hour of my workout. Could you have something ready & eat it in the car on the way to work?
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 225/214/140

Height: 5'7"

I was diagnosed with PCOS ten years ago. I was put on Metformin only to try to get pregnant. Concerning weight loss, low carb didn't work any more than clean eating has. I try to eat whole grains such as brown rice, ezekial bread, whole grain pasta. So far I have lost about 10 lbs. It is slow going, but it is working. I also try to avoid foods that contain high fructose corn syrup. I wish you all of the best with finding what works best for you.
xraygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:02 PM   #9  

Hi Lynne

I would post a link but not allowed to unless I have at least 25 posts.

Anyway google is your friend is all I can say
lynnscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:57 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 215/ticker/155

Hi Lynne, sounds like we are in a similar boat. I started Metformin about 2 weeks ago after getting a re-diagnosis of PCOS (that's a long story...) and so far haven't had bad side effects. I also have a "mild" case of PCOS, and am figuring out how to sustainably change my lifestyle to keep up the low-carb/low-GI diet. Keep us updated on your progress!
snoozlebug is offline   Reply With Quote