PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Default PCOS, Metformin and Possible Pregnancy

My question could fall into a couple forums, but since it's PCOS related, I decided to post here.
I was diagnosed with PCOS this past April after going to the OBGYN for infertility issues. I started taking Metformin, had the HSPG where they see if your tubes are blocked (mine weren't) and started prenatal vitamins. I really started eating healthier and have lost about 30 lbs since starting the Metformin.
I wasn't pregnant after two cycles so she put me on a round of Clomid this time.
I ovulated on day 18 (an ovulation predictor test confirmed) and it is now day 31 and I have been sick as a dog since Monday. I have so many signs that are pointing to pregnancy but haven't seen a positive test yet. I am still only 12 DPO and no sign of AF coming at all, so I am still waiting.

My question is, I haven't been wanting to eat anything at all, and when I do eat it goes STRAIGHT through me just like right after I started taking the Metformin. Since Monday I have lost 5 lbs, which I know is not healthy. I haven't been vomiting but I have been dry heaving like crazy with constant nausea. I don't want to take any drugs to control it since I may be pregnant.
I just am not sure what to do. I don't want to call my OB GYN because its too early and I haven't confirmed anything yet, but I also dont think I should be passing food and losing weight so quickly. Everything I read says try to eat crackers (which are carb heavy). I don't know what to try to eat that might stay in me.
Any ideas?
piperboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:01 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 226/215/175

Height: 5'7"

I was diagnosed with PCOS a few years back but didnt start any metformin until a couple months ago.. when i wanted to get pregnant i went straight on progesterone and clomid...it took three cycles of clomid to get pregnant. the ovulation sticks didnt say i ovulated on the last cycle so i didnt think i was pregnant. the day i found out i was pregnant was the first day i started vomiting. i was already 6 weeks along. I dont know of anyone that gets that ill so early on, but who knows. if you go to babyhopes.com you can buy really cheap ovulation sticks and pregnancy tests. i recommend the strips. they are the same strength as the dr's office and detect pregnancy earlier than the store ones. good luck, my baby will be one next week!!! hardest and BEST thing I ever did in my life.
Willow324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:38 AM   #3  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperboo View Post
I just am not sure what to do. I don't want to call my OB GYN because its too early and I haven't confirmed anything yet, but I also dont think I should be passing food and losing weight so quickly. Everything I read says try to eat crackers (which are carb heavy). I don't know what to try to eat that might stay in me.
Any ideas?
First off, I'm sure you're feeling very worried. However, your weight loss is just water weight, and thus it's not really a danger to yourself or your possible baby. Your body has -plenty- of energy and nutrition stored up to sustain a baby. Sip plain water throughout the day to get rehydrated; don't try drinking a bunch all at once, as it may make you feel queasy.

For food, try eating things that are good for you, NOT carb-heavy (and certainly no refined carbs at all), but in small quantities every hour or so. Keeping something, anything, in your stomach may help with the dry-heaving and nausea. Cheese, nuts, berries, vegetables, a glass of milk, a little bit of turkey or chicken, and so on. You want to keep your blood sugar steady and something in your stomach to help you get through this.

It's entirely possible that the symptoms you're having may indicate pregnancy, but it's also possible you're sick with a stomach flu or something. Since it's too early to know yet, let yourself relax and not obsess or fret about the question; you'll find out soon enough. Rest, rehydrate, and nourish your body with the foods you know are good for you, and you will be fine. Do also keep taking your met and prenatals, of course.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:33 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

I agree that it's most important you stay hydrated. A lot of women (even those at lower weights) will lose weight at first in pregnancy due to the nausea - don't worry.

I conceived my first cycle of clomid. I waited til 14days past ovulation to test & actually had a monster breakdown the day before 'cause I was SURE I was about to af. I definitely had pregnancy symptoms before that point though - I just confused them with pms - lol!

Good luck!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:35 PM   #5  

I know so much about calorie and fat counting with diets through the years, but I have never had to deal with carbs until now. I just don't know what to eat!
I will get some cheese and nuts at the store tonight and maybe they will help. I do drink a lot of water during the day and even more so since this queasiness started - I have been super thirsty.
You are right, I am working myself up (I guess its part of TTC for so long).
Lifeguard- I am still two days out to 14dpo, so I am dying waiting to get to Monday!
Thank you so much for your advice!

Last edited by piperboo; 07-18-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:56 PM   #6  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

More low-carb or slow-carb foods that are good for you, that you might feel like snacking on:

-- Peanut butter (natural kind with no sugar)
-- A few pieces of shredded wheat cereal
-- Plain low-fat or nonfat yogurt. Add in some berries and cinnamon for flavor if you need it.
-- Hummus with carrot and celery sticks or other veggies
-- Avocado on a couple of whole-grain crackers
-- Vegetable juice

I went through my own troubles with IR and having babies (I ended up with 3 kids, but it was many years of hard work and emotional trauma to get them). It's really hard, I know--but you will be OK, and things will turn out OK. Just de-stress and take care of yourself
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:15 PM   #7  

I am actually starting my period, so I am really bummed, but it does give me more time to lose more weight. I ended up taking immodium because it got so bad, after I did that I seemed to snap back to feeling better.
I am so glad this exists, it gives me someplace to vent and a place to just feel better about myself after a bumming day....thank you ladies!
Old 07-20-2008, 08:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Good attitude. That was what I told myself every month that it didn't happen - one more month to work more on my weight.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote