PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #16  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I think there are some health concerns about stevia, so I'd recommend looking into it before you use it. Xylitol is used in some things but if you have animals, be careful as it can be deadly to cats/dogs. I never heard of olgio.

Last edited by nelie; 07-15-2008 at 02:28 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:36 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

There are no health concerns with Stevia. The FDA made that statement without reviewing it, but won't review it since it will compete with Splenda, Equal, etc.

Olgio (sp?) fructose is something you can get online only. It's comes from some african root or something. It's supposed to be great to bake with. I haven't tried it yet.
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:50 AM   #18  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Actually there have been several animal studies of stevia that do raise concerns.

Several studies have found reproductive and mutagenic effects in lab animals. Offspring of hamsters fed large amounts of stevia had fewer and smaller offspring, and in male rats stevia reduced sperm production and the size of seminal vesicles (which would tend to reduce fertility).

I've also read that there is some indication that large amounts of stevia, may be linked to kidney or liver damage in humans (but this is not conclusive, just a preliminary study or investigation).

One thing to consider is that unlike "unnatural" products, no research is required before advocating and marketing herbal products (whether or not, it's ever been used historically by humans - if you find a weed in your garden, you can probably not only sell it legally, but you can also imply that it does almost anything - as long as you add a disclaimer that you are not advocating using the herb to treat or cure any illness). Also, stevia has been used as an herbal supplement for years, but never in the quantities that modern Americans tend to use sweeteners. Even water is harmful in excess.

Also, I believe the FDA IS reviewing it, and have been quoted as saying that research has been "promising" but not yet sufficient for FDA approval.

The main reason that very few herbals are approved by the FDA, is not so much a corporate conspiracy as it is that there is little monetary incentive for researchers to study stevia or other herbals because they cannot be patented. No research, no ruling.

Last edited by kaplods; 07-16-2008 at 12:12 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:58 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

I'll take that over my whole endocrine system being disrupted, my dreams being absent, cancer, memory loss, or symptoms of MS (*cough* Splenda *cough*). lol ;-)
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:59 AM   #20  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Splenda is NOT Splendid.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #21  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Well I pointed out the health concerns for Stevia because before someone takes something, they should know what is in it. Very few (if any) herbals are FDA approved. There is no regulation for herbal drugs, unless people start dying then the FDA will step in. Herbal drug companies due like to use people as guinea pigs and make outrageous claims about what their herbs can and can't do. Remember hemlock is a natural herb but you won't find me eating it anytime soon
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:41 PM   #22  
Writing my success story

I am not low carbing. But I AM trying to be more carb careful. I know I still have a long way to go before I perfect my diet. I still allow myself a treat but I'm trying to pair it with protein so it's more balanced. I can't afford to go organic but I'm doing the best I can.
allabouttheskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:17 PM   #23  

Basically, I took the TOPS exchange plan for 1500 and 1800 calories and just took out a few protein exchanges and a few starch exchanges and made a third category of interchangeable exchanges (still "worth" about the same calories). I made up an exchange chart where my "mandatory" exchanges fall into the 1500 calorie plan, and my "optional" exchanges put me up to th 1800 plan.
VictoriaMegan is offline   Reply With Quote