PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 08:35 PM   #1  

Unhappy Doc say she never heard of it!

I am 23 years old, and by some miracle, I've maintained my weight of 350 pounds since I was 15. I have all the symptoms listed for PCOS, and so I went to my doctor, and asked her about it. She, who weighs like 90 pounds, looked at me like I was stupid, said she never heard of PCOS, and said I was making excuses for my weight. What should I do? I've been told by the size acceptance people to find a new doc, but I live 20 miles from town and I have no car of my own. I just cant say 'see ya', and walk out!
Old 02-20-2002, 10:10 PM   #2  
WW Moderator

Default Oh my!

Wow, I have to agree, find a new doc! To think onedoctor still has never heard of PCOS is amazing, especially a female doctor.

Please go to the link below and read about PCOS and please follow the links to learn all YOU can about PCOS, then maybe you can find a doctor that can help you. Did you see a general doctor or an ob/gyn? Please see an ob/gyn or endocrinologist. They should hopefully be more up to date. If you DO have PCOS you are at a higher risk of developing diabetes or heart disease, so please talk a friend or family member into getting you to a doctor. Meanwhile, you should try to avoid high sugar or high carb foods that can aggravate your insulin levels. Have you had your glucose/insulin checked lately? PCOS is about so much more than weight, and I hope your doctor can realize that.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/links/pcos.html

Good luck, and don't give up, there are doctors that can help you, many of them!
Old 02-20-2002, 10:27 PM   #3  

Shermoca,

First off <<<HUGS>>> to you!! I agree with Jennifer, FIND A NEW DOCTOR. I drive over 1-1/2 to a doctor, so that I could find one who was an expert of PCOS. I had to search and search.

I'd call doctors offices and ask ask ask!! There are doctors out there, my GYN, hugs me each and every time, and tells me how great I'm doing and how much she supports me. You CAN find someone.

I'd report that other doctor to the Medical Association. My reg. doc BARELY believe in PCOS and tells me, just lose weight and you'll feel better. So I took matters into my own hands and went somewhere else.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

Yvonne
Old 02-21-2002, 01:36 PM   #4  

Default Shermoca,

WOW-
I know that it is tough finding a doctor that knows what PCOS is. I have an Endochronogist that I use. He is really good, always taking Blood and test and I see him evry 3 to 6 mths. I am also taking Glucophage, which helps with the insulin absorbing. IT has worked great for me.

I hope you can find a doctor that knows what PCOS is. Keep looking, you will find help.

Pravda
Closed Thread