Old 08-08-2005, 03:02 PM   #1  

Default Anyone around?

Hi,
Just wondering if this is an active forum. I was in OA for 3 years and it was the only thing that has ever worked for me, but I am not able to make meetings due to work schedule. Anybody out here????
Kathyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 08:14 PM   #2  

Hi there,
I'm out here, just trying to get the courage to go to an OA meeting. I can't seem to "find" the time, (I have a toddler and a 4 month old and a husband who is not overly enthusiastic about OA), but I think I'm just a bit scared.
What was your first meeting like? Did you attend different groups before you found one you liked?
Liisa
LiisaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 08:04 AM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Kathy, welcome!
It's not exactly hopping around here at the moment, but you're very welcome to join us. Have you tried any online meetings?
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 04:04 PM   #4  

How do you get involved in online-meetings??
foxyangel8971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 08:17 AM   #5  

foxyangel, here's a link to the OA site... there's online information here:
http://www.oa.org/online_meetings.html
Good luck!
Old 10-06-2005, 08:24 AM   #6  

Hi Kathyv,
I Am Jenjen I Am Still Kind Of New To This Site, But Not To Oa. I Hope We Could Chat From Time To Time. I Will Always Be Willing To Send Out Good Vibes. Well Have To Run, Take Care.
Jenjen
JELYPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 01:37 PM   #7  

Jenjen, welcome!
Old 10-06-2005, 03:51 PM   #8  

It has been at least month since I have been to the site. I was doing SB to loose some of the extra pounds that have creeped back on. I started taking classes again and have been overwhelmed. I am going to my first OA meeting on Friday. I am excited. I need help. I am out of control and the sadness and guilt over my eating prompts me to eat more and I can't stop. I lost 125 pounds eating healthy and exercising and 22 pounds are back and I am still gaining. I have a boyfriend who continues to take me out to dinner where I can't seem to control the urge to eat junk. Somewhere my motivation (you would think the fact that I now look like a sausage in all my clothes would be enough!) has completely disappeared and I am loosing this battle and I feel so out of control. My food choices are bad and I am not working out nor have the desire. All I seem to be able to do lately is eat and berate myself. I could use any and all support possible.

Boy....that feels good to say.
healthy4good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 04:42 PM   #9  

Healthy4Good, we are so here for you. I completely understand where you're at.
Can you talk with your boyfriend about this? Tell him how important it is for you to be living a healthy lifestyle, and if you must go out for dinner, ask him if he'd be willing to help you make healthier choices.
I know we shouldn't rely on others for our "willpower", but our friends and family can have a huge influence over us when we're trying not to give in to our impulses.

Good for you for going back to OA! Stay positive... make this all about you. No one else can make your choices... they are yours. Love yourself, and love your choices...
Sending you strength vibes and big hugs...
Old 10-06-2005, 08:50 PM   #10  

Healthy4good,
Glad You Are Making It Back To Oa, Its Needed Sometimes To Take Some Extra Steps To Put Us Where We Want To Be. Judging By Your Name... Those Steps Are Good Ones!! I Am Sure You Can Always Find Support Here As Well As Your In Person Interactions. Keep The Faith And You Can Do It, Believe In Yourself. I Believe In You
Stay True........ Jenjen
JELYPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 12:36 PM   #11  

Thank you for your support. I will be checking in here often!
healthy4good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 01:35 PM   #12  

Angry Binging frustration

I really like the post from Ellis, regarding the family & friends helping out to make healthier choices. My husband tries to do that, but I tend to get depressed and will snap at him when he points out that maybe I should try an item that I know I should eat but would rather eat what he is eating. He gets frustrated and ends up getting mad at me. I am an emotional eater and usually procrastinate in starting the day where I will practise healthy eating and moderation. When I do eat healthy either at home or in a restaraunt, I am already frustrated with myself that I have to eat that way in order to maintaine that when I get home and my family isn't around I binge on handfulls of chocolates or whatever I can grab that doesn't need any preparing. I am excersising like crazy but with all the added crap I am eating the weight has stopped decreasing and I am on a very slow up & down weight gain and now I am getting frustrated and depressed and grumpy. My husband notices that right away. How do you get in that mind frame of keeping focused on your goal that you don't give in to the binge?
kelleen920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:50 PM   #13  

Kelleen, welcome.
I can so relate to what you said about getting depressed and "snapping" at your husband. I'm afraid I do the same at times. I know he's only trying to be helpful, but I let my emotions control my actions.
All I can say is that WE are the ones who are ultimately responsible for our actions. Do we care enough about ourselves to make a change?
Can you plan ahead and have healthy, yet yummy snacks/meals on hand so that you don't "lose it" and grab for the ready-prepared foods? I do the same as you... I tend to reach for whatever is easy, and that means a lot of junkfood and fastfood. I'm trying to organize my life so that I can HAVE meals on hand. It's going to take work, but I'm worth it, and so are you, hon.

I've been away a lot lately taking a six-week "mental health" course, but I'm finished now, and I'm going to start organizing the Chicks in Control section a little better.
If anyone has any suggestions for threads, please feel free to jump in with ideas!
We CAN be in control of our lives... keep in touch, and hang in there.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:10 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 271/249/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis
Healthy4Good, we are so here for you. I completely understand where you're at.
Can you talk with your boyfriend about this? Tell him how important it is for you to be living a healthy lifestyle, and if you must go out for dinner, ask him if he'd be willing to help you make healthier choices.
I know we shouldn't rely on others for our "willpower", but our friends and family can have a huge influence over us when we're trying not to give in to our impulses.

Good for you for going back to OA! Stay positive... make this all about you. No one else can make your choices... they are yours. Love yourself, and love your choices...
Sending you strength vibes and big hugs...
I just wanted to express sort of my problem: I feel that when I go out to eat if I order a salad at a cost of 5.00 a plate vs. same salad for a fraction of the price can be made at home, I am wasting mine/his money. So I better try some specialty food the joint carries, and then usually not the most healthy choice. Any advice on how to deal with that? So far the easiest way - simply not go out...
CBETA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:02 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBETA
I just wanted to express sort of my problem: I feel that when I go out to eat if I order a salad at a cost of 5.00 a plate vs. same salad for a fraction of the price can be made at home, I am wasting mine/his money. So I better try some specialty food the joint carries, and then usually not the most healthy choice. Any advice on how to deal with that? So far the easiest way - simply not go out...
I think you have to learn to NOT think about the money aspect. It's your health that's concerned, and isn't that worth $5, even if you can make it at home for much less money?
I think that going out for a meal is about "letting go" a little. You're there to get a break from being at home, you're being served, and you don't have to make it yourself.
It's like when I'm out sometimes, and I buy a bottled water. I used to think, "Why would I buy water when I could get a pop instead? I can get water at home!"
But now I rationalize it... sure, the water is expensive. But I'm worth it. Putting junk into my body isn't worth any amount of savings.

I hope this makes sense... I haven't had a coffee yet.